Would really like your opinions - Fuji vs. Trek

BamaJason

Mar 17, 2010
Hey folks! I've been hanging around here for a while but have not yet posted. To give a little background about me, I am a road cyclist, but have only been riding for about 5 months. When I was trying to decide if I wanted to ride, I bought a used 2002 Fuji Finest. I have now put about 1,400 miles on the old Fuji and am looking to upgrade. I ride rural roads with lots of hills and ride about 100 miles per week now that it is warm in the mornings.

I visited both a Trek store and a Fuji dealer today. At the Trek shop, I rode a 2010 2.3 (double) and at the Fuji shop, I found a 2008 CCR2 (it is still a new bike, but was clearly a closeout). The Trek 2.3 is Shimano 105 all the way around, whereas the Fuji CCR2 is 105 shifters and front derailleur. The rear is Ultegra. Also, the two models have different brakes. The most obvious difference to me is that the Trek had 2 chainrings and the Fuji has 3. With the hills I climb regularly, I would appreciate the 3.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what to do. The Trek is priced at $1,549 and the Fuji is priced at $1,399 (Bikepedia shows the original MSRP at $2,300 for this bike). I have purchased the Fuji, but have not yet brought it home as I didn't have my rack with me.

I would like to know if you folks feel I made the right choice between these two or if there is some great advantage to the Trek that I have missed. I would truly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

BamaJason said:
Hey folks! I've been hanging around here for a while but have not yet posted. To give a little background about me, I am a road cyclist, but have only been riding for about 5 months. When I was trying to decide if I wanted to ride, I bought a used 2002 Fuji Finest. I have now put about 1,400 miles on the old Fuji and am looking to upgrade. I ride rural roads with lots of hills and ride about 100 miles per week now that it is warm in the mornings.

I visited both a Trek store and a Fuji dealer today. At the Trek shop, I rode a 2010 2.3 (double) and at the Fuji shop, I found a 2008 CCR2 (it is still a new bike, but was clearly a closeout). The Trek 2.3 is Shimano 105 all the way around, whereas the Fuji CCR2 is 105 shifters and front derailleur. The rear is Ultegra. Also, the two models have different brakes. The most obvious difference to me is that the Trek had 2 chainrings and the Fuji has 3. With the hills I climb regularly, I would appreciate the 3.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what to do. The Trek is priced at $1,549 and the Fuji is priced at $1,399 (Bikepedia shows the original MSRP at $2,300 for this bike). I have purchased the Fuji, but have not yet brought it home as I didn't have my rack with me.

I would like to know if you folks feel I made the right choice between these two or if there is some great advantage to the Trek that I have missed. I would truly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

I'd go with the Fuji, no doubt. You're getting more for your money. You already mentioned you'd prefer a triple chainring for climbing. Also, the Fuji has an Ultegra rear derailleur, which is a cut above the Shimano 105.

Personally, for me, this would be a no-brainer, especially if I already owned a Fuji and was happy with how it had held up.

Go the trek, they're made better, look better, last longer and you can climb better on them.

baker3 said:
Go the trek, they're made better, look better, last longer and you can climb better on them.

Where's your proof on any of these factors you've listed?

I guess you haven't been reading about Trek's quality control issues as of late.

Thanks for the replies. I have enjoyed the Fuji bike I have had and felt that the new one rode better and was better equipped when I was out shopping. I appreciate the comments regarding the Trek, but would really like some sort of verifiable justification that the Trek is more solid if it, in fact, is. Not trying to be difficult, but just trying to sort through what may be a brand preference (I can't really know if brand preference or something tangible is behind that comment. Please provide more info.)

BamaJason said:
Thanks for the replies. I have enjoyed the Fuji bike I have had and felt that the new one rode better and was better equipped when I was out shopping. I appreciate the comments regarding the Trek, but would really like some sort of verifiable justification that the Trek is more solid if it, in fact, is. Not trying to be difficult, but just trying to sort through what may be a brand preference (I can't really know if brand preference or something tangible is behind that comment. Please provide more info.)

You're not being difficult, and good luck getting any response to back up those claims. You'll quickly find that most responses you find regarding these types of things are based on opinions.

Your best bet is to visit the manufacturer websites, take note of the prices, levels of componentry used on each bike, type of frame construction, weight, etc.

You already have experience with a Fuji, which has been tried and true. There's obviously not anything wrong with looking "outside the box" to other manufacturers, but personally, if I had good luck with a particular manufacturer, they're the first one I'd be looking at again.

If this Fuji bicycle you rode feels good, then get it. The level of componentry (including the Ultegra rear derailleur) speaks for itself. If you really liked the Fuji, you will be happy with the purchase.

The best answer is to test ride both bikes to see which fits and feels best. That's the most important factor. The Ultegra rear derailleur isn't going to make any definitive difference for you. Both bikes have 105 shifters so shifting performance is going to be a wash. Quality between both bikes is a wash. The Trek fork steerer issue has nothing do with the Trek you looked at, so it's a non-factor.

I can't emhasize enough the "try before you buy" ethic for newish riders.

alienator said:
The best answer is to test ride both bikes to see which fits and feels best. That's the most important factor. The Ultegra rear derailleur isn't going to make any definitive difference for you. Both bikes have 105 shifters so shifting performance is going to be a wash. Quality between both bikes is a wash. The Trek fork steerer issue has nothing do with the Trek you looked at, so it's a non-factor.

I can't emhasize enough the "try before you buy" ethic for newish riders.

And the Fuji has an Ultegra rear derailleur, which is hardly a wash. It's a better component than a 105, even if it's only one component. Give him a reason why he wouldn't want better componentry, even if it were one component, especially on a bike he likes. :rolleyes:

Oh, that's right, it's a wash. That's why Fuji took the extra step to put a more expensive part on this bike. :rolleyes: