Would you buy a Ciclosport Hac4 or a Polar S720?

My heart rate typically gets alot higher in my grievance committee work than it EVER gets in the plane!!!

As for flying the bus, we are in shrinkage mode right now, so who knows when you'll get your chance (at Cactus).

There's always JetBlue!

he he .. well i just put my deposit down at higher power ... gonna bite the bullet and get the 737 type ... who knows whats gonna happen!!

Just another observation from me. It looks like alltitude accuracy is affected if the watch is on your arm instead on the handlebars. Temprature compensation is probably affected.

Leon

What are peoples thoughts on the size of the s720i

I have heard that it is huge; living in Greece means that I haven't yet eyeballed one in real life.

Is it too big to wear as a normal watch?

Gibbo

Originally posted by Gibbo

I have heard that it is huge; living in Greece means that I haven't yet eyeballed one in real life.

Gibbo

It is the same size as the S710i, if that is any help. Yes - it is rather large, but I think I have seen other sport/chrono watches around the same size.

I personally wear it around every where. It is certainly not sleek and stylish - but I quite like it. Perhaps it is only suitable for guys? It is certainly "macho" looking, in my opinion. Also the fact that I can set it VERY accurately from the computer (which is time locked to an atomic clock) makes it a very accurate watch. Certainly the most accurate I have ever worn.

The S710i looks a LOT better than the S720i (in my opinion). The S710i has a nice striped (very faint) case, plus a nice red stripe in the band. Quite nice.

The S720i has a very plain silver (stainless steel?) case and a simple black/gray band. I thought it looked hideous. I did not wear that one in public as I thought it looked cheap and just plain terrible. My S710i I wear everywhere.

Originally posted by Leon
Just another observation from me. It looks like alltitude accuracy is affected if the watch is on your arm instead on the handlebars. Temprature compensation is probably affected.

Leon

I have run with my monitor a fair few times and thus have the watch on my wrist. The altitude seems to work fine, but like you mentioned the temperature is way higher. If it is 15deg C the monitor may tell you its around 18-20. I guess there is less cool air flowing over the sensor and elevated temperature from contact with skin. I would like to know how to (if it is possible) to calibrate the temp on these things. I feel mine is always 3-4 deg C higher than the actual temp. less of a difference while it is mounted to handlebars and actually riding, but never the less still higher. Anyone know how to recalibrate the temperature?

Originally posted by Kristian
mentioned the temperature is way higher. If it is 15deg C the monitor may tell you its around 18-20. I guess there is less cool
Actually, I find that the temperature while wearing the watch is constant. In my case, 31 degrees celsius. It never varies. This makes sense I guess, as I assume it is reading body temperature.

I have only worn the unit a few times while on a bike ride - and I found that while the altitude did vary during a ride, it bore no resemblance to the actual altitude. And I do not mean it was out by a fixed amount, it just did not look like the ground I had been over at all. This is rather funny as you would think it would just lower or raise the altitude base by the calibration amount.

I have only done this twice, I think, so it is not a totally scientific conclusion, but I think you must put the unit on the bike to get any thing close to a real altitude result.

Actually, I do not really care what the absolute figures are - ie it does not matter to me if all the altitudes are negative, for example (mine actually shows -45m at the moment) - it is just nice to see a profile of the ride at the end of the day.

Originally posted by kneighbour
Actually, I find that the temperature while wearing the watch is constant. In my case, 31 degrees celsius. It never varies. This makes sense I guess, as I assume it is reading body temperature.

I think my temperature is only recorded or measured when a split time is taken, so if I wear the watch all day it will only give me 1 temp point. You are right your body temp is the main influence to the temperature reading while the reciever is on your wrist.

My altitude doesnt vary as much as yours. The start and end values are often out by around 10m but thats about all. Easy to fix in the software. The terrain profile seems resinable though.:)

I've been using the HAC 4 for about 6 months now. I've never used the Polar, so I really can't justify saying which is better. However, I've been really happy with the HAC4 and I haven't had any complaints thus far.

HAC4 is a solid choice, it's durable, always works, and is very accurate. As far as features and gadets go, with 57 it's packed. Not more much you can really want, although it doesn't count how many calories you burn. That wasn't really a deciding factor for me since in my opinion there is no way anything like that could be remotly accurate.

The HAC4 is also a full fledged cyclocomputer. I've seen the Polar, and to me it seems that it's just a HRM with some extra bike functions packed in it. I don't like that feel. With the HAC4 it's role as a bike computer/heart rate monitor seem to be valued equally. If you want both rolled into one, go with the HAC4.

Hey Rech,

doesn't the speed readout on the HAC still display in whole numbers, with no tenths? I realize the software display has tenths, but it bugged me that the unit itself did not, so i bought a CM 414M, since I already had a Polar HRM.

I do think the HAC is a great product.

Gibbo,

Where in Greece do you live? I've spent every summer in Greece since I was born...my father used to "drag" us over there for the summer!!

In the past few years, I've started to see more and more roadies tooling around in places like Voula (where my sister lives).

Next year, you'll have all kinds of roadies tooling around for the Olympics!

Originally posted by Gibbo

Gibbo
:) :)

Hi Cacti,

I live in northern suburbs of Athens (Kifissia). There are a few roadies around, but I don't rate the traffic here and the roads are pretty rough. I MTB, mostly over near Mt Parnitha (King's Palace). Pretty good riding!

Still tossing up whether the investment on s720i (or s710i) is worthwhile as I ride about once per week, but train (run, gym) about 5 - 6 times/week.

Now considering the s520, as it is a bit cheaper.

Any advice??

Gibbo

The extra memory (and ability to keep more than one exercise's full data in the watch) of the 710/720 would be an advantage. This is of course, assuming that you'll be uploading the data to a PC for making/analysing a training log, etc.

Plus the 710/720 has the altimeter which is useful for making altitude profiles of rides/runs and working out gradients etc.

Can any HAC4 users comment on how comfortable it is to wear as a regular watch (when not riding)? I'm a bit concerned at the idea of a velcro strap, and imagine that it could chafe or become irritating after a while.....

Take a look at the Vetta V-100HR Wireless speed and cadence. Its SUPER accurate and has absolutely no interference. There is no Virtual measurments...everything is measured.

I am still astounded at the features and accuracy of this computer.

fbd8d4b3.jpg

fbd8d4bc.jpg

fbcf2694.jpg

But the Vetta cannot record a ride for later download to the PC. Also it does not show altitude or temperature.

And there is nothing "virtual" about either the HAC4 or the S710i - unlike the FlightDeck which has a rather silly (in my opinion) virtual cadence.

I recently had a Flightdeck 6501 fitted to my new Trek 2300 - and it is a rather poorly designed bit of gear too. The manual (while not as bad as the HAC4 one) is pretty bad also.

I now have (and use) 4 bike computers - none of which I am really happy with. It strikes me that the designers of these things should really talk to users a lot more - a lot of the features/problems are so silly I often wonder if the designer has ever been on a bike in his life.

The Flightdeck is almost unusable on the bike as it is so complicated to change modes - and you cannot read the very litle labels to tell you what mode you are in anyway. So I just use it in one mode the whole time, and that is that. Even resetting the thing before every ride is awkward (ie how it is done). I really only got that one because the buttons are in the hoods - neat. The Cateye OS1.1 is VERY easy to use on the bike - by far the best computer I have. And easy to read - big digits. But it does not have cadence or HRM. If they added cadence and HRM, they would have a BIG seller there, I am sure. The Panoram is the easiest to use - you do not need to change modes at all as you always see everything at once. Very nice. But again no cadence or HRM. The S710i is almost unusable as a bike computer as the cycle functions are on the top line only, and are a real effort to read. But good for recording the ride and for HRM.

Since I am a computer programmer, and design and test software all the time, I can understand how this can happen. But I think that the designer who really listened to what cyclists wanted, and gave them a good, reliable unit, would make a lot of money. I for one (like many cyclists) have more money to burn than is good for them - I would spend almost any amount to get myself the best computer - and indeed I have already done so. Unfortunately the state of the art of the moment is still not very good.

The S710i has a lot of bad design problems, although generally fairly good. The HAC4 seems ok but had mounting issues. Also very poor manual and fairly poor software. And that is really it - there are almost no other PC downloadable computers out there. The SRM one is virtually unattainable in Australia, and the Cateye one is not even in the ball park.

Of the standard ones, Vetta is amongst the best, but they all limit you to what you can display.

I have looked at cycle computers a lot - as this is more in my line of work - and I get so annoyed as it is all so unnecessary. The S710i for example could very easily have the software updated to put the cycle functions on the main line - that would fix up most of the problems there. A simple software change. It would cost almost nothing for Polar to do that. Frustrating....

Actually, you can get Vetta's that show altitude and temp. True you cant download the ride, but you can scan your entire ride right off the computer after the ride through the secondary screens for HR and Candence. If you choose, you can also scan while riding by pushing one button, but there is really no need. The screen is super easy to read. Just to give you an idea of the quality of the Vetta ...this is just one of the screen modes. If you keep it on the cadence screen the following is displayed:

Cadence screen:

Current Speed...with visual arrows to let you know if you are above or below your average speed
Cadence...Super accurate
Heart rate....with visual arrows and audible beeps if you are above or below your target zone.

Other screens are just as informative and are a simple button click away, but for normal riding the cadence screen gives you pretty much everything in one shot.

Also intermediate distance and time can be recorded during a ride...and the list goes on.

I'm telling you the Vetta Rocks!

kneighbour - the Hac4 software has the ability to output in Excel format. Is there perhaps an opportunity for an enterprising programmer to design an Excel sheet that presents the Hac4's data in a more useful and user-friendly way?!

Also it seems it doesn't beep if you're outside the zones (which would be a weakness).
Hold down the upper left button while you are in exercise mode and a small ring appears at bottom left of the screen. Now the HRM beeps when put of the zone. This feature is not explained in the manual :-(

I've had Polar Edge 11 years now(if someone recalls that model anymore) and bought Polar S710i this summer. Just last week I tested both Polars in the car, old Edge model had very severe interference from the power lines. S710i had absolutely nothing! And yes, the power lines were Big lines for serious power levels.
I've used S710i in AC cars also without any weird numbers.

Only annoying things I can say about the HRM unit are that when you push the light on it should stay on much longer than it does and the altitude function needs to be calibrated before every ride/day.