Would you ever bandit ride?

BtonRider

Jan 30, 2006
So the question is would you ever consider bandit riding? A particular organized ride has made me raise this question but I'm curious what circumstances would drive a typical cyclist to bandit ride.

I've recently learned that the RAIN ride (Ride Across Indiana) is going to increase their price next year by $10. This is against the objection of their club members and even the organizing board, but the ride director has decided that "it hasn't been done in a while" and no one else should have a voice in the decision. Usually, I support this ride because it supports several charitable organizations around Bloomington, Indiana. The SAG on RAIN is usually mediocer anyhow and you have to pay for transportation back across the state, so an individual cost is usually $20-$50 on top of the registration fee. I've learned though that the ride is covering it's expenses and the club is left with more than $10,000 a year it has to give away for tax reasons. My real objection is that the only person who's forcing the price increase is profiting from the ride and for no apparent reason more than greed. Isn't that a conflict of interest? I've tried to decide how to protest unreasonable ride prices and the most passive thing I can think of is to bandit ride.

Well, I guess if you don't have the intellectual skills to come up with a reasonable way to protest, stealing a ride and leeching off the efforts of others might just sound like a good idea to you.

Don't leg integrity stand in the way of what you want to do. Of course, doing what you want to do is all about you and does absolutely zero for the charity, but why should you worry about the charity? Heck, someone else will give. I'm sure the charity will appreciate your "attempt" at a protest.

Wow, sounds like you have strong feeling on this.

What would your suggestion be for a reasonable protest? As I said, the SAG is useless on this ride so I've never used it so my presence wouldn't cost them anything. However, you're right that the charities shouldn't suffer because of one person's greed. Perhaps the bandits should send the charity a check with an acknowledgment to the club?

alienator said:
Well, I guess if you don't have the intellectual skills to come up with a reasonable way to protest, stealing a ride and leeching off the efforts of others might just sound like a good idea to you.

Don't leg integrity stand in the way of what you want to do. Of course, doing what you want to do is all about you and does absolutely zero for the charity, but why should you worry about the charity? Heck, someone else will give. I'm sure the charity will appreciate your "attempt" at a protest.

BtonRider said:
Wow, sounds like you have strong feeling on this.

What would your suggestion be for a reasonable protest? As I said, the SAG is useless on this ride so I've never used it so my presence wouldn't cost them anything. However, you're right that the charities shouldn't suffer because of one person's greed. Perhaps the bandits should send the charity a check with an acknowledgment to the club?

I have zero respect for any bandit for any reason. What if bandit crashes, requires ambulance. Then a legit rider goes down, needs ambulance, but has to wait because the ambulance that was available is taking the bandit to the hospital. Do you give charity money, then, to that legit rider for the pain he endured, waiting for medics that were busy treating a bandit that shouldn't have been there.

Just don't ride, then send the money to the charity. Simple. It's only a ride. I have to see a price on anything that stays the same for the entirety of that thing's market life. Other people will pay to ride, prolly several magnitudes more than will opt to consider a protest, so your protest will amount to nothing. The protest seems to have almost nothing to do with anyone else but those who are put off by the increased price. It's got **** to do with the charity.

First, most rides (this ride in particular) don't have ambulances at the beck and call of riders. If someone is injured the tax dollars of the local community make that ambulance available. So your draw on the local resources would be like if you were on a large club ride in a neighboring state or community. If you were to hit a paying cyclist would he pay you for your pain and suffering?

Second your argument suggests "if you can't change the world then why bother doing anything" Sounds a lot like voter apathy to me. So is there anything that ever warrants a protest?

But I suppose your point is taken. You have zero respect for bandits and no matter what nothing I or anyone else says will change that. That was more to the point of the question. Thanks

alienator said:
I have zero respect for any bandit for any reason. What if bandit crashes, requires ambulance. Then a legit rider goes down, needs ambulance, but has to wait because the ambulance that was available is taking the bandit to the hospital. Do you give charity money, then, to that legit rider for the pain he endured, waiting for medics that were busy treating a bandit that shouldn't have been there.

Just don't ride, then send the money to the charity. Simple. It's only a ride. I have to see a price on anything that stays the same for the entirety of that thing's market life. Other people will pay to ride, prolly several magnitudes more than will opt to consider a protest, so your protest will amount to nothing. The protest seems to have almost nothing to do with anyone else but those who are put off by the increased price. It's got **** to do with the charity.

BtonRider said:
First, most rides (this ride in particular) don't have ambulances at the beck and call of riders. If someone is injured the tax dollars of the local community make that ambulance available. So your draw on the local resources would be like if you were on a large club ride in a neighboring state or community. If you were to hit a paying cyclist would he pay you for your pain and suffering?

Second your argument suggests "if you can't change the world then why bother doing anything" Sounds a lot like voter apathy to me. So is there anything that ever warrants a protest?

But I suppose your point is taken. You have zero respect for bandits and no matter what nothing I or anyone else says will change that. That was more to the point of the question. Thanks

Well, sir, I never said there was an ambulance tagging along, and personally, I don't give a **** who pays for ambulance services. As an ex-paramedic I can tell you, for a fact, that it's often the case that EMS services get tapped out frequently, leaving people waiting longer than they should for medical help. In my suggestion, the point was that bandit rider, scumbag, whatever would have been the reason for another waiting.

Voter apathy? Grow up. The ride is a charity event. If you don't have the dosh, then don't ride. If the operation of the ride knots your panties, don't ride. There is nothing wrong being done, Peaches. Maybe instead you should go to the mall and protest that your favorite CD isn't priced lower. Or maybe you should go to an LBS and protest that it's unfair that you can't afford some component whose picture you masturbate over at home.

Protest? Your protest is just selfish whinging. It's no different than what spoiled little children do. Protest, voter apathy.....my ass. You wouldn't know the first thing about a protest or some form of activism if it was tattooed on the side of a **** that smacked you in the forehead.

Please, finish junior high before you venture too far out into public next time.

BtonRider said:
You have zero respect for bandits and no matter what nothing I or anyone else says will change that. That was more to the point of the question. Thanks
Dude, you're totally right. He's a troll and nothing anyone says will sink into his head. He's a 44 year old college student who can't form a cogent argument, and reverts to name calling. Ha! How funny is that.

lnyndhlp said:
Thanks for proving my point

You had a point, really? Where did you hide it? Please, edumicate me with your cogent arguments and erudite intuition. I'll take notes. I promise. Really, who wouldn't take notes when a person of your stature, your weighty intellect, your intellectual palmarès deigned society worthy of his musings?

If you want to protest the price increase, then boycott the ride. Don't stop there, either; send the organizers an email and tell they why you are boycotting; otherwise they won't know why ridership is off. Riding bandit isn't protesting, it's stealing.

Thanks to everybody who has posted in this thread - Quite entertaining!

Are you guys married? Seriously now, 15-20 years? Divorce papers in the mail?

J/K

To the OP - In my opinion, purposefully bandit riding is not the best route to go. I agree with the troll....er... alienator... that it often undercuts the purpose of a ride for something that is *usually* relatively petty. That said, if enough people share your view regarding the price increase, you may have a political basis for protest. I say political, because more than likely you probably don't care all that much about the charity, and more about the principle of the matter - correct me if I'm wrong, just speaking from experience here. If the price increase were to cause a sharp decline in overall riders - enough to cut into the charitable profit - then you would really have a good point to make. However, going bandito probably wouldn't be the most visible, or effective way to make said point.

Anyway... Just my opinion. I've done it before unintentionally (after moving to a new city), and didn't realize I was in a large event until I noticed the numbers on peoples jerseys
redface.gif
. I just happened to cross paths with the group... Oops.

Spinner, thanks for the input. You're right that in order for a protest to be effective it has to be visible.

Just a thought, if you are out on a ride and it just happens to be on the same route and time as the event, does that count as bandit riding? This has happened to me twice in the last six years. Am I supposed to change my route just because I find it crowded with an organized ride of some sort, or can I continue on my way as before? Of course, if something unforseen happens and I need help, I would accept it from anyone who offers, whether it was the organized rides SAG or not.

BtonRider said:
Spinner, thanks for the input. You're right that in order for a protest to be effective it has to be visible.
Sorry, just to clarify ...... the $10 price increase will not be going to charity, but somehow the ride director will personally profit from this? Is that what you're saying in your original post?

If the additional money is not intended to either cover an increase in the costs of running the ride or increase the charitable donation, then can I suggest something along the lines of the following ......

Get together with all the other riders who feel as you do and organise a "Not the RAIN" or something like that, maybe for the weekend before and donate the equivalent in ride fee to charity. Between you all I'm sure you could organise volunteers for SAG, etc and maybe you could even pool your resources and arrange return transport. Yes, it will take a shitload of organising but if you feel strongly enough about it, maybe you should consider it.

Thanks matagi, that's a great idea.

Yes, you read that correctly, the extra price increase isn't supposed to go to the charity. The director has said it's to increase "the bank" for the ride, which already stands at several thousand dollars. More to the point, the director refuses to justify the price increase to the club or the club organizers. It's just because "it hasn't been done in a while." When has that ever been an adequate reason to charge people more? What if your taxes increased for that reason?

BtonRider said:
Thanks matagi, that's a great idea.

Yes, you read that correctly, the extra price increase isn't supposed to go to the charity. The director has said it's to increase "the bank" for the ride, which already stands at several thousand dollars. More to the point, the director refuses to justify the price increase to the club or the club organizers. It's just because "it hasn't been done in a while." When has that ever been an adequate reason to charge people more? What if your taxes increased for that reason?

Well, costs of bike rides aren't anything like taxes, so comparing them is stupid on its face. The same is true of your voting comparison. Making said comparisons is a bit too drama queenish.

I think you missed this part: it's just a ****ing bike ride. If you don't like the cost, don't ride. Go ride somewhere else.

It's clear that the charity aspect doesn't account for much with you. What gets you in a tizzy is the $10 increase. Christ, if $10 is affecting your life that much, I suggest you sell your bike and bankroll that money. Better yet, why don't you go steal $10 so you can do the ride? Or, find other like minded whiners so that you all can use your petty justifications among yourselves. Then you'll all feel free to steal a ride. That's what you want, right? That's what the poll is for, right? I know 10 year olds that have more backbone and a greater sense of right and wrong than you.

alienator said:
It's clear that the charity aspect doesn't account for much with you. What gets you in a tizzy is the $10 increase. Christ, if $10 is affecting your life that much, I suggest you sell your bike and bankroll that money. Better yet, why don't you go steal $10 so you can do the ride? Or, find other like minded whiners so that you all can use your petty justifications among yourselves. Then you'll all feel free to steal a ride. That's what you want, right? That's what the poll is for, right? I know 10 year olds that have more backbone and a greater sense of right and wrong than you.
What gets you in a tizzy so much about what someone else wants to do with their $10.

Christ, is what he does with $10 affecting your life that much, I suggest you sell your computer and send him the $10 then you won't have to stress out so much.

I know 10 year olds that are better at expressing their opinions without being such an abhorrent c**t

You've made your point, move along now.

Jono L said:
What gets you in a tizzy so much about what someone else wants to do with their $10.

Christ, is what he does with $10 affecting your life that much, I suggest you sell your computer and send him the $10 then you won't have to stress out so much.

I know 10 year olds that are better at expressing their opinions without being such an abhorrent c**t

You've made your point, move along now.

I'm not in a tizzy. I was just trying to help the guy realize just how transparent and over rationalized his excuses were.

You can say "****" if you want. Go ahead. Practice in front of a mirror. Watch yourself say "****, ****, ****, ****." You'll get the hang of it.

As for his ten bucks, I was merely making suggestions as to how, if he really wanted to do the ride, he could come up with the ten dollars that was breaking his bank. Is there a reason you care? Are you his nanny or his wet nurse? Has his tragic story caused an emotional bond with him to grow deep in your heart? Is he your kindred spirit or soul mate?

Don't fret if I don't give your suggestions much consideration.

alienator said:
. Is there a reason you care? Are you his nanny or his wet nurse? Has his tragic story caused an emotional bond with him to grow deep in your heart? Is he your kindred spirit or soul mate?
No we just have a common displeasure in having to deal with you instead of conversing about cycling. Good day.