Would you race here?

ejglows

Apr 3, 2004
Last year I did this race and it was SO hard....and only 10km!

Here is the profile...
http://www.bikenavi.net/gp_izu/course.html

And here is a pro review of the course...
http://www.cyclingteam.info/2004/05/nara-and-shuzenji.php

It is called the Shuzenji circuit, and for the ladies it is only a 10km race...but it is BRUTAL!

I am trying to decide if I should begin training for this now (hills, hills, then more hills...LACTIC ACID) or if I should try other races this year.

By the way, this race is held in the HOT and HUMID heat of MID SUMMER. Oh yes, and if you can read Japanese, it warns that there is a `heart burning hill` otherwise known as a 12% heart break hill (asmist all the other hills, there is nothing flat about it)... I think the Japanese are masochists...

Would you race it?

e

Hi EJ. I think we met on the Japan Forum.
I steered away from that race because of my weight. It is a real hard ride. I'll be trying to run the course this year (for fun) and then decide if I'd like to race it.

3 of our good strong hill climbers in our team did the race. Our best rider did ok, but the other guys wanted to give up. One had to stop, get off, stretch his legs and then climb some more. I know he is better than me, and light. If I do race it, it will be for experience and training, not for competition.

Are you going to do some more Bike Navi races this year?

I will be doing all of their races at Shimofusa. I'd like to enter the Gunma ones too, but I hear they are just as hard as Shuzenji.

The SHimousa course is easy, up & down, but nothing hard. A real fast course where it is almost impossible to break from the pack. Even weak riders can finish with the peleton. The finish sprint is uphill and if you can be in front on the last corner you're almost guaranteed a placing.

Most of the Bike Navi races are by age though which means you're racing with varied abilities which can be dangerous at times.

Do the JCRC Lake Saiko race next November. A downhill start to warm up which suits my heavy build. The last 2kms are uphill but I managed a 3rd place there (best result so far) so I love that course the best. I believe it is close to where you live, so you should get over there for some weekends ang get used to it.....

:cool:

Oh my God...I now dont feel like such an out of shape ass...IT WASNT JUST ME....
:eek:

Yes, although our little cycling forum has been hit by a cyber punk and now we dont have any other place to exchange...sad...

I want to ride more races, but I have such a hard time finding out information! All I see on the bike navi site are races for that damn circuit. Really, I dont want to do that again.

Where is this Place you speak of? I live in Odawara, south of Yokohama and north of Atami. We have a track, but I have never been. Rodie, through and through. Do you know of any other women that race? Yes, all ages are grouped together so competition is hardly fair. Still gives me hope that I can beat at least one of those skinny old women...

Where do you train?

NEVER go to Shuzenji...even if you lose the weight....or unless you have a need to be punished....

e

I've tried to make a page for my team in English (not Japanese) for all the races that I hear of in Japan.

Here's the link to the page. There is an email address in there somewhere if you want more details.

Our team now has about 10 women as well..... (including my wife)

:cool:

Semas Racing schedule 2005

I'm from Colorado, USA. There are climbs around here that are over 10 miles of AT LEAST that grade... Yes I would do it.

I'm from Utah and we have lots of "hills". I would do it. I don't know how fast I would be but I would do it. There is a "ride" around here that the locals call "The Gauntlet". It is a total of 90 miles in length and covers five major climbs. Those climbs combine for a whopping 8000 feet in elevation gain not to mention all of the other minor elevation gains. I am planning on doing this ride this spring for the first time. I have done all of the climbs individually but never back to back. It should be fun/brutal. :D We are all complete sickos to enjoy the pain that cycling puts us through!

Okay, so I posted the Gunma circuit....

Here is the webpage for Shuzenji, but they have not posted the course information. Read my link from the Jetfuel team for a real review of it, or Japanic`s reply about his team members.

http://www.bikenavi.net/gp_shuzenji/index.html

I couldnt imagine Colorada and Utah...There is a race here that climbs half of Mt Fuji....umm...HELL NO.

If you are a runner, you can also race to the top of Fuji-san...crazy people...

e

Oh, and this is the only page I could find that at least shows how technical it is...nothing is flat.

http://www.cycle-info.bpaj.or.jp/english/begin/jcsc.html

THe course is tough and Japan being sucjh a small country with many technical cycling courses, mountains and an increased popularity in road racing, it won't be long beofre you see a Japanese rider win the King of the Mountain in a TDF.

The Japanese Shimano & Bridgestone teams are getting stronger at an alarmingnly fast rate. They are based in Europe and making great progress.

In the off season most of the top Japanese riders race on these courses with low life like me, and they set the pace and help and give advice to everybody.

3 weeks ago I did a 100km race with 2 of the Bridgestone guys. One of whom came 57th at the Olympics. It was no fun to see my heart peak at 192 at his side on about the 8th lap of 21. I had to let him go!!!!! I'm sure he was not even warmed up at that stage..... :eek:

JAPANic said:
THe course is tough and Japan being sucjh a small country with many technical cycling courses, mountains and an increased popularity in road racing, it won't be long beofre you see a Japanese rider win the King of the Mountain in a TDF.

The Japanese Shimano & Bridgestone teams are getting stronger at an alarmingnly fast rate. They are based in Europe and making great progress.

In the off season most of the top Japanese riders race on these courses with low life like me, and they set the pace and help and give advice to everybody.

3 weeks ago I did a 100km race with 2 of the Bridgestone guys. One of whom came 57th at the Olympics. It was no fun to see my heart peak at 192 at his side on about the 8th lap of 21. I had to let him go!!!!! I'm sure he was not even warmed up at that stage..... :eek:

I was wondering why a Japanese hasnt been at the front of the peleton in the TDF :confused:

I want to join the seamus team..but I live sooo far away! What is it like training/racing with the Anchor guys?
How is your Japanese?

ejglows said:
I was wondering why a Japanese hasnt been at the front of the peleton in the TDF :confused:

I want to join the seamus team..but I live sooo far away! What is it like training/racing with the Anchor guys?
How is your Japanese?

Anchor have camps throughout the year and are very friendly even when on their real training camps, and will offer advice and ride with you, if you happen to come across them. We have a guy in our team who is probably one of the die hardiest Anchor fans on the planet, so we may get special attention when we see them.... Check out www.shinichikoji.com and send the brothers an email... They are probably killing the field in Thailand/Malaysia right now... Koji may even reply to you in person when he gets some time off....

I've been in Japan 12 years now, so my Japanese is passable.