Would you recommend a Canondale?

MTLBiker

Nov 14, 2007
Hi there,

I’m looking to get myself a new bike of decent quality for a good amount of riding and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the quality of the Cannondale brand.

Thanks so much for your opinions.

MTLBiker said:
Hi there,

I’m looking to get myself a new bike of decent quality for a good amount of riding and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the quality of the Cannondale brand.

I'd recomend Cannondale, I have a Caad 8 R1000, and it's great, been riding it for 2 years now with no drama's at all. It's very responsive.

MTLBiker said:
Hi there,

YES. My 3.0 Cannondale road bike is still going strong on it's 20th year. Also have a 15 yr old MTB C'dale and never had an issue with it.

Keep in mind that some of their frames are now made overseas. Stick with their top of the line stuff and you will be happy for a long time.

bioWheel

You bet, cant beat that genuine lifetime warranty!
Almost all of their bikes are handbuilt american except the new cheap ones - F6 and 7. They at one stage did a carbon frame overseas too, but the six13, supersix and systemsix are all american.

MTLBiker said:
Hi there,

VERY good brand. Components aside, the craftmanship of their alum frames is very good. Aesthetically speaking, the welds are much smoother and the paint quality much nicer than "comparable" frames.

There is ONE disadvantage to some Cannondale bikes which may not be a factor in your consideration ...

That is, Cannondale is a firm which occasionally incorporates a cutting edge design which may be technologically superior, but which may be unserviceable (at your LBS) in the future due to lack of availability of parts (I believe the "law" only requires a manufacturer to support a product for seven years after it is produced) ...

The innovative HEADSHOK comes to mind as a casualty of component evolution.

alfeng said:
There is ONE disadvantage to some Cannondale bikes which may not be a factor in your consideration ...

That is, Cannondale is a firm which occasionally incorporates a cutting edge design which may be technologically superior, but which may be unserviceable (at your LBS) in the future due to lack of availability of parts (I believe the "law" only requires a manufacturer to support a product for seven years after it is produced) ...

The innovative HEADSHOK comes to mind as a casualty of component evolution.
I have two C'dales. A 10 y.o. F500 MTB which is excellent and never had any issues whatsoever and and new CAAD9 bike which is excellent as well.

The point is not really about "cutting edge" but more around propietary parts that are more difficult -and expensive- to service than industry standard parts. Perfect example is the headshok or lefty forks.

Having said that, is you live in a area where there are plenty of C'dale dealers, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

New C'dales come with lifetime warranty...that's got to be worth something.
I'm a very satissfied customer. I can highly recommend one.

cheers

YES I WOULD RECOMMEND A CANNONDALE. I HAVE A R1000 CADD8.

HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS, NO COMPLAINTS. VERY RESPONSIVE, CLIMBS WELL.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS GETTING THE RIGHT SIZE, AND

GETTING IT FITTED FOR YOUR BODY TYPE.

Is it difficult to change the gears when they are not on the handlebars? I am considering buying a used bike, and I am a beginner (but athletic).

laraluna said:
Is it difficult to change the gears when they are not on the handlebars? I am considering buying a used bike, and I am a beginner (but athletic).
No, you won't/shouldn't have (m)any problems using shifters that are not located on the handlebars ...

And, it isn't difficult to update an older bike's shifting mechanism with one that isn't located on the downtube (where I presume the current shifters are on the bike you are looking at) to a different-or-contemporary one, either -- the cost varies from a $10+ to $500+.

hyperliterate said:
I have a brand new Supersix 4 Rival and I would recommend it to anybody. 
Hopefully, the OP found a bike in the intervening 5 1/2 years.