Would you recommend me a good tent

klimek

Guest
Hallo !!!
Would you recommend me a good tent(to keep inside my bike), sleeping
bag and waterproof jacket.
This year my first big bicycle tour Poland-UK.
Thank you in advance

klimek wrote:

> Would you recommend me a good tent(to keep inside my bike)

Do you mean a tent to stow on your bike, or a tent to stow on your
bike which you can park the bike inside when it's pitched?

For the latter, Hilleberg's various GT models with extended porches
could be just the thing, but they're not cheap. If it's just a
tent for you then a budget would make suggestions easier: since
it's your money I can easily spend £400, but you may want something
nearer £40!

> sleeping bag and waterproof jacket.

Similarly, a budget limit would help here (plus whether ot not
you're allergic to down).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

No particular recommendations, as there're plenty of great pieces of kit
out there.

> sleeping bag

It may be worth going for a down sleeping bag - they pack smaller, which is
great when you're squeezing stuff into panniers.

> and waterproof jacket.

You might want to consider a windproof, water_resistant_ jacket - it'll be
much less sweaty (and cycling is certainly sweaty if you're wearing a
waterproof, even if it is a breathable one) and will cope perfectly with
showers.

On the other hand, in a downpour or prolonged rain you'd be wanting
something a bit better. Consider two jackets.

Get one specifically designed for cycling - longer sleeves, a 'tail' at the
back and a pocket on the back are all dead handy. Lightweight is good -
all you need is a 'shell' - no lining is necessary tho a light netting type
lining could be nice, it'll make the pack size bigger.

> This year my first big bicycle tour Poland-UK.

Super, keep us posted.

"klimek" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hallo !!!
> Would you recommend me a good tent(to keep inside my bike),

Get one of these for you and use a tarp or something similar for your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Action-1-...805460180QQcategoryZ36118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> sleeping bag

Buy something in down so it packs really small.

> and waterproof jacket.

I'll leave others to recommend this. I fully admit to being a wuss
and not going out in bad weather ;o)

> This year my first big bicycle tour Poland-UK. Thank you in advance

Cool! Good luck!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

in message <[email protected]>,
klimek ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hallo !!!
> Would you recommend me a good tent(to keep inside my bike), sleeping
> bag and waterproof jacket.
> This year my first big bicycle tour Poland-UK.
> Thank you in advance

Topeak do a tent where the bike forms an integral part of the tent frame.
It's one person only and for a one-person tent not particularly small,
light or cheap, but it does have the advantage that no-one can steal
your bike in the night without collapsing the tent.
http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/biketent/tentmain.php

Other than that I'm very well pleased with my Vaude Hogan
http://www.vaude.de/hps/client/vaud...unde::vdcms::vaude::/produkte/1/2/955/971/978
which has plenty of room for two people at only 2.9Kg, is very easy to
erect; the inside stays dry as you erect it even in rain; and it packs
reasonably small. It isn't cheap either, but you do get quality.

Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.

"Simon Brooke" wrote
> Other than that I'm very well pleased with my Vaude Hogan
> which has plenty of room for two people at only 2.9Kg, is very easy to
> erect; the inside stays dry as you erect it even in rain; and it packs
> reasonably small. It isn't cheap either, but you do get quality.

Even lighter, but more costly, is the Saunders Jetpacker Plus.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b25s145p116
Only 1.75 Kg, sleeps 2 if you're good friends or loads of room for one.
Mine has survived all kinds of stuff ranging from the Pyrenean High Route to
the Glastonbury festival.

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:37:31 +0100, Chris Eilbeck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"klimek" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Hallo !!!
>> Would you recommend me a good tent(to keep inside my bike),

>Get one of these for you and use a tarp or something similar for your bike.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Action-1-...805460180QQcategoryZ36118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>> sleeping bag

>Buy something in down so it packs really small.

Field and Trek are doing their Stormlite Rolling Clouds 750, down
filled alleged 4 season bag for GBP 60 down from GBP120. A simple
bag, no bells and whistles.

http://tinyurl.com/syghc

Tim

"POHB" <[email protected]>typed

> "Simon Brooke" wrote
> > Other than that I'm very well pleased with my Vaude Hogan
> > which has plenty of room for two people at only 2.9Kg, is very easy to
> > erect; the inside stays dry as you erect it even in rain; and it packs
> > reasonably small. It isn't cheap either, but you do get quality.
> >

> Even lighter, but more costly, is the Saunders Jetpacker Plus.
> http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b25s145p116
> Only 1.75 Kg, sleeps 2 if you're good friends or loads of room for one.
> Mine has survived all kinds of stuff ranging from the Pyrenean High
> Route to
> the Glastonbury festival.

Nice tent but no room for the bike.

No friend has ever been allowed in mine overnight.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Tim Hall wrote:

> Field and Trek are doing their Stormlite Rolling Clouds 750, down
> filled alleged 4 season bag for GBP 60 down from GBP120. A simple
> bag, no bells and whistles.

Depends on one's definition of "no bells or whistles"... Mine would
include mummy shape, a full length zip, a proper hood and a shoulder
collar, all of which that bag has.

I used an F&T bag for many years and if that was anything to go by they
know what they're at, especially at that price, but what I don't like
about this one for the job at hand is 750g of filling. Unless you'll be
expecting snow and ice on the tour or you're one of those unfortunates
that always feels cold in a sleeping bag it's just over the top, and the
downside of more warmth is more bulk and more weight.

The RC 500 and 300 are also in the Bargian Bin at F&T and would be
better suited to a bike tour IMHO (I use bags with 300 and 550g filling,
admittedly slightly better down, but with the heavier one used in snow
caves before now!)

Pete.
--

POHB wrote:

> Even lighter, but more costly, is the Saunders Jetpacker Plus.
> http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b25s145p116
> Only 1.75 Kg, sleeps 2 if you're good friends or loads of room for one.

Always preferred the Spacepacker myself. 1.9 Kg (as advertised, mine
was 1.8 weighing it) and will fit 2 in better than the JP+ IMHO,
especially as there's a choice of doors and a porch each side. Also
seems a bit easier to pitch when it's windy, and the ventilation options
are much better too. I'd only personally go for the JP+ over the
Spacepacker if I was quite a bit taller, but I'm not! (and with only 1
occupant, sleeping diagonally, it's less of an issue anyway).

Pete.