would you recommend this cannondale R900?

My wife rides an R900Si with Ultergra.She is a pretty good rider and very dedicated. It is a great bike. Its is a 2002 if I remember correctly. I don't know about the Shimano 600 I have never used it but the Ultegra is very smooth.The Cannondale frame is comfortable, responsive and stable.
The age of the bike would be my biggest concern. Of course if you go newer the costs go up. It really depends on your needs and budget.
If you are not a hard core racer and just want to ride for fun and or exercise I would say this would be a very adequate bike. I don't know what you are riding now but if it an old inexpensive heavy bike then this would be a good step up for you.

Originally posted by biltonhouse
I just had my beaten up old road bike stolen, and I'm looking to replace it with something a bit classier and faster, but I have no experience. I know I need 56cm, but that's about it. Here's a bike that caught my eye on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3637096201&category=7298#ebayphotohosting

Is there anything there that would worry you?
I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.
The starting bid is more than it's worth. It's 8 speed.New stuff is 9 and 10. The shifters are no longer available other than places like ebay,so if one craps out,you get to upgrade to 9 speed if you can't find a replacement. Buying online is a way to get reamed if you have no experience. All 56s are not the same either as different makes measure differently.

Originally posted by jhuskey
My wife rides an R900Si with Ultergra.She is a pretty good rider and very dedicated. It is a great bike. Its is a 2002 if I remember correctly. I don't know about the Shimano 600 I have never used it but the Ultegra is very smooth.The Cannondale frame is comfortable, responsive and stable.
You are comparing watermellons to lemons. There is no comparison to a current Cdale frame and that old school 2.8. And,d the 2.8s were often compared to riding a jackhammer,they were so stiff.

The only advice I can offer is that upgrading Shimano 600 8-speed to 9-speed is not that difficult. You can use the derailleurs and crank/chain rings, and the 9-speed cassette fits onto the hub. You must change the rear (RH) lever to match the cassette. You might want to change the front (LH) lever for a cosmetic match, but it's not necessary. If you do this type of upgrade, go directly to Dura Ace levers; they're worth the extra $$ for their durabilty and "feel".

Originally posted by tomasbikes
The only advice I can offer is that upgrading Shimano 600 8-speed to 9-speed is not that difficult. You can use the derailleurs and crank/chain rings, and the 9-speed cassette fits onto the hub. You must change the rear (RH) lever to match the cassette. You might want to change the front (LH) lever for a cosmetic match, but it's not necessary. If you do this type of upgrade, go directly to Dura Ace levers; they're worth the extra $$ for their durabilty and "feel".

I woulds advise before you go to the cost of upgrades,which would be expensive,to go for a newer model bike. You would still have an older bike with some new parts on it and might have more money in it than if you bought an entire bike outfitted with newer parts.

Hope you get what you want in a bike. I was able to get my wife's bike ,R900SI, for around $1000.00. It was like new condition and I think a great deal. If you are going to be a serious ride I would get the best bike affordable without going overboard. Twenty LBS or under. All of the mainstream manufacturers make good frames.Chose you components wisely, Ultegra is very good ,Dura Ace is lighter and more expensive and Campy is more expensive and maybe more stylish. Stylish won't make you a better cyclist. The 105 is not that bad either and a lot cheaper. I personally have full Dura Ace but would not go below Shimano 105 quaility in recommendations. Just my opinion.

I have an R900 almost identical to that one. I love it. It's certainly faster than me! I don't find it's ride harsh at all. I do have a carbon fork however.

I'd suggest using craigslist.com and see if there is a bike near to you that you can test ride. I got a Klein for $300 that way! I'd be cautious about buying a bike online.

Tim

Originally posted by lumpy
I have an R900 almost identical to that one. I love it. It's certainly faster than me! I don't find it's ride harsh at all. I do have a carbon fork however.

I'd suggest using craigslist.com and see if there is a bike near to you that you can test ride. I got a Klein for $300 that way! I'd be cautious about buying a bike online.

Tim

I have a similar Cannondale and love it to bits. I paid AUD$1200 (US$850) or for a three year old bike and I think I got a bargain.

It's all about availability.

Once you buy a Cannondale, nothing else will do. I now have three and its a difficult habit to kick. Stopping smoking was easier.

Originally posted by trembler50
I have a similar Cannondale and love it to bits. I paid AUD$1200 (US$850) or for a three year old bike and I think I got a bargain.

It's all about availability.

Once you buy a Cannondale, nothing else will do. I now have three and its a difficult habit to kick. Stopping smoking was easier.

All of ye that may you hear, should place thine ear on high and heed the gospel as it is spoken by Trembler50.... as he hath no false Idols and is now Caad7 certified... Go forth and spin.

C'Rider

Originally posted by trembler50

Nothing like subjective opinion. I've had 5 (3.0 thru caad5)and the last is about to be stripped for parts and the frame sold.You could not give me another one.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Nothing like subjective opinion. I've had 5 (3.0 thru caad5)and the last is about to be stripped for parts and the frame sold.You could not give me another one.

Seems like you've got personal experience with a lot of frames and components, including maintenance and repairs. Have to ask....are you in the bike business, or do you ride many thousands of miles a year, or just like to buy, rebuild and sell bikes a lot?

Dan

Originally posted by CannondaleRider
All of ye that may you hear, should place thine ear on high and heed the gospel as it is spoken by Trembler50.... as he hath no false Idols and is now Caad7 certified... Go forth and spin.

C'Rider

speaka a deutch?

Originally posted by dhk
Seems like you've got personal experience with a lot of frames and components, including maintenance and repairs. Have to ask....are you in the bike business, or do you ride many thousands of miles a year, or just like to buy, rebuild and sell bikes a lot?

Dan
Never been in the business. Leaned wrenching by hands on stuff starting with old junk.Bikes are one hobby.Build them myself,and ride alot. The inventory got shuffled alot till I decided what fit and what I liked. Still adding to it.

Do you keep the old stuff, resell it, give it away? I had my old '74 Raleigh Gran Sport out today, adjusted the front hub and headset, etc. It's pretty rusty now, and mainly was on the wind trainer the last few winters.

Had planned to give it away to charity or pitch it, but too many memories I guess. Besides, a broken down B17, Simplex, Stronglight and that great (j/k) Carlton build quality with real british steel.... it's all part of cycling's glorious past.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Do you keep the old stuff, resell it, give it away? I had my old '74 Raleigh Gran Sport out today, adjusted the front hub and headset, etc. It's pretty rusty now, and mainly was on the wind trainer the last few winters.

Had planned to give it away to charity or pitch it, but too many memories I guess. Besides, a broken down B17, Simplex, Stronglight and that great (j/k) Carlton build quality with real british steel.... it's all part of cycling's glorious past.

Dan
Anything good is gone.The rest is bike boom oriental junk, and some Suntour I collect.

Originally posted by Rudy
speaka a deutch?

Erbärmlich mache ich nicht, Aber ich wünsche, daß ich Deutsch sprechen könnte:)

Ich befürchte Tod nicht, befürchte ich nur, daß das Sterben von ohne gelebt.

Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Erbärmlich mache ich nicht, Aber ich wünsche, daß ich Deutsch sprechen könnte:)

Ich befürchte Tod nicht, befürchte ich nur, daß das Sterben von ohne gelebt.

awww...thank you you're so kind...yes, I may participate in Tour De France next year :)

I'm not miseable either, but I wish I could ride a 5 hour Century:)

Dan