Wouldn't it be nice

Doki

Guest
If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving with
fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding on the
pavement, riding with no lights in the dark, and riding on an unroadworthy
bike (ie, no brakes)? Seen umpteen tits on the pavement today and a woman in
a Rangey trying to turn right into oncoming traffic against a red filter
light because she was on the phone...

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving with
> fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding on the
> pavement, riding with no lights in the dark, and riding on an unroadworthy
> bike (ie, no brakes)? Seen umpteen tits on the pavement today and a woman
> in a Rangey trying to turn right into oncoming traffic against a red
> filter light because she was on the phone...

And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any able
bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

Doki wrote on 03/01/2007 18:04 +0100:

> And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any able
> bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

How would they tell? Not all disabilities result in a pronounced limp.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Doki wrote:
> If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving
> with fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding on
> the pavement, riding with no lights in the dark, and riding on an
> unroadworthy bike (ie, no brakes)? Seen umpteen tits on the pavement
> today and a woman in a Rangey trying to turn right into oncoming traffic
> against a red filter light because she was on the phone...

What would be great was if the Police announced that no-one would be
prosecuted for any motoring offence (apart from drink driving) for one
specific day of the year. And that includes all parking offences, speed
cameras, traffic lights etc. Imagine the chaos that could cause, and it
would put an end to all those who think speed cameras are just there to
raise money.

Martin.

On 03/01/2007 18:19, Tony Raven said,

> How would they tell? Not all disabilities result in a pronounced limp.

L-I-M-P. Pronounced "limp". Sorry!!!

Actually, what irritates me is people slapping a disabled badge in the
window of their car, then hopping out and dashing off to the shops or
whatever, leaving their car parked somewhere awkward or dangerous. Yes,
they may have some disability, but if they can move as well as an
able-bodied person, do they really need special parking privileges? I
suspect that it's really their husband's/wife's/partner's badge, and
this idea of not having the photo visible any more allows them to get
away with it.

Another recent example - a car was parked right on a corner just by my
house, on a double yellow line. That was OK though (I don't think!!),
because there was a blue badge in the window. The ironic bit? They'd
parked so that the dropped kerb was totally blocked, and someone in one
of these electric buggies was stuck on the pavement unable to cross the
road.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> Doki wrote on 03/01/2007 18:04 +0100:
>>
>> And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any able
>> bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

> How would they tell? Not all disabilities result in a pronounced limp.

I'd say the lack of a blue badge would be a fair giveaway.

Doki wrote:

> "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving
>> with fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding
>> on the pavement, riding with no lights in the dark, and riding on an
>> unroadworthy bike (ie, no brakes)? Seen umpteen tits on the pavement
>> today and a woman in a Rangey trying to turn right into oncoming
>> traffic against a red filter light because she was on the phone...

> And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any able
> bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains, and the
wide check-outs in supermarkets.

--
Matt B

Martin Dann wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>> If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving
>> with fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding
>> on the pavement, riding with no lights in the dark, and riding on an
>> unroadworthy bike (ie, no brakes)? Seen umpteen tits on the pavement
>> today and a woman in a Rangey trying to turn right into oncoming
>> traffic against a red filter light because she was on the phone...

> What would be great was if the Police announced that no-one would be
> prosecuted for any motoring offence (apart from drink driving) for one
> specific day of the year. And that includes all parking offences, speed
> cameras, traffic lights etc. Imagine the chaos that could cause,

What chaos?

> and it
> would put an end to all those who think speed cameras are just there to
> raise money.

How?

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:

> Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
> space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains, and the
> wide check-outs in supermarkets.

You are P**l Sm*th AICM5P

John B

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
> space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains

Blimey, that's a really impressively stupid request.

Because they are obliged to move if a disabled person turns up. You can't do
that with car parking spaces, because you're typically nowhere near the car.

> and the wide check-outs in supermarkets.

Because they aren't intended for exclusive use by people who need the
space - the proportion of customers who actually need it is tiny. If
somebody who needs to use it arrives at the queue, the number of checkouts
is normally such that they aren't disadvantaged compared to others (ie the
queue will be the same length), so the facility has worked - in the same
manner as a disabled car parking space enables somebody who has difficulty
walking to do things, this has enabled people who need a bit more space to
do things.

Isn't this all blindingly obvious? If not, are you a bit dim? If so, what
possible value did your post have?

(puts bait down)

clive

Clive George wrote:

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
> > space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains

> Blimey, that's a really impressively stupid request.
> <snip>

> Isn't this all blindingly obvious? If not, are you a bit dim? If so, what
> possible value did your post have?
>
> (puts bait down)

Tony will soon be along to say we've erroneously responded to a Troll.
He'd be right.

John B

Clive George wrote:
> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
>> space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains

> Blimey, that's a really impressively stupid request.

Thank-you.

> Because they are obliged to move if a disabled person turns up. You
> can't do that with car parking spaces, because you're typically nowhere
> near the car.

If you kept the car within sight, or if you left a lookout with a phone?

>> and the wide check-outs in supermarkets.

> Because they aren't intended for exclusive use by people who need the
> space

Couldn't car parking spaces be the same?

> - the proportion of customers who actually need it is tiny.

Like the car parking spaces then.

> If
> somebody who needs to use it arrives at the queue, the number of
> checkouts is normally such that they aren't disadvantaged compared to
> others (ie the queue will be the same length),

Ah, like the car parking spaces then.

> so the facility has
> worked

Exactly.

> - in the same manner as a disabled car parking space enables
> somebody who has difficulty walking to do things, this has enabled
> people who need a bit more space to do things.

Except the car parking space is wasted if there is nobody 'qualified' to
use it - unlike the bus seat or supermarket check-out.

> Isn't this all blindingly obvious?

Yes - to me at least. It appears that many have difficulties with this
concept though.

--
Matt B

John B wrote:

> Clive George wrote:
>
>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
>>> space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains

>> Blimey, that's a really impressively stupid request.
>> <snip>

>> Isn't this all blindingly obvious? If not, are you a bit dim? If so, what
>> possible value did your post have?
>>
>> (puts bait down)

> Tony will soon be along to say we've erroneously responded to a Troll.

Are you frightened of him?

> He'd be right.

Is he always right?

Censorship of discussion of controversial issues cannot be tolerated -
can it?

--
Matt B

Doki wrote:
> If one day, the Police stopped everyone driving on the phone, driving
> with fog lamps on in clear weather, driving unroadworthy cars, riding
> on the pavement,

Not really, no.

~PB

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
>>> space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains

>> Blimey, that's a really impressively stupid request.

> Thank-you.
>
>> Because they are obliged to move if a disabled person turns up. You can't
>> do that with car parking spaces, because you're typically nowhere near
>> the car.

> If you kept the car within sight, or if you left a lookout with a phone?

Because it'd make the regulations very difficult to enforce, and it would
make it very difficult for disabled people to park. Most people will notice
someone writing a ticket next to their car. Will they notice a disabled
person driving around and around the car park trying to find a parking
space? I doubt it.

>>> and the wide check-outs in supermarkets.

>> Because they aren't intended for exclusive use by people who need the
>> space

> Couldn't car parking spaces be the same?

No.

>> - the proportion of customers who actually need it is tiny.

> Like the car parking spaces then.
>
>> If somebody who needs to use it arrives at the queue, the number of
>> checkouts is normally such that they aren't disadvantaged compared to
>> others (ie the queue will be the same length),

> Ah, like the car parking spaces then.

No, not like car parking spaces. I park my car in a space, nobody else can
use that space. There isn't a system of queuing for spaces - people drive
around until they find a space and park up. If there are no disabled spaces,
the driver is likely to park in the next nearest space to the door, rather
than hobble into the shop and find an assistant to ask the owner of whatever
car's parked in the disabled space to move, then hobble back to their car,
park again, hobble back to the shop etc. Because that's more work than just
parking in any space.

>> so the facility has worked

> Exactly.
>
>> - in the same manner as a disabled car parking space enables somebody who
>> has difficulty walking to do things, this has enabled people who need a
>> bit more space to do things.

> Except the car parking space is wasted if there is nobody 'qualified' to
> use it - unlike the bus seat or supermarket check-out.

Able bodied people, by definition, shouldn't be unduly troubled by having to
walk a few hundred yards to the shop door. Disabled people, on the other
hand, are. That's why they're disabled. The crucial factor with the bus seat
is that if someone else needs the seat, you are easily aware of it and can
move. With a parking space, that's pretty unlikely.

>> Isn't this all blindingly obvious?

> Yes - to me at least. It appears that many have difficulties with this
> concept though.

Do you actually know anybody who's disabled? Once you've seen somebody wince
in pain with every step they take, perhaps you'll understand why disabled
spaces are important and why you shouldn't park in them. Another bloody good
reason for not parking in them is that people with a blue badge are allowed
to park pretty much wherever they like. I personally would much rather they
parked in the disabled spaces in the supermarket than in the middle of the
road, or god forbid, blocking in someone able bodied parking in a disabled
space.

FWIW, you come up with some sane reasoning in the Bike VS Car jihad that
goes on here, but you also seem to be full of ****.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Doki wrote on 03/01/2007 18:04 +0100:
>>
>> And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any
>> able bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

> How would they tell? Not all disabilities result in a pronounced limp.

By the card that is issued.

Doki wrote:

> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Because they are obliged to move if a disabled person turns up. You
>>> can't do that with car parking spaces, because you're typically
>>> nowhere near the car.

>> If you kept the car within sight, or if you left a lookout with a phone?

> Because it'd make the regulations very difficult to enforce,

Ah, unjust, but easy to enforce. Where have we come across that
argument before ;-)

> and it
> would make it very difficult for disabled people to park.

How? They'd go around the block again - like they do if another blue
badge holder happens to be using the space.

?

>>> Because they aren't intended for exclusive use by people who need the
>>> space

>> Couldn't car parking spaces be the same?

> No.

Please expand.

>>> If somebody who needs to use it arrives at the queue, the number of
>>> checkouts is normally such that they aren't disadvantaged compared to
>>> others (ie the queue will be the same length),

>> Ah, like the car parking spaces then.

> No, not like car parking spaces. I park my car in a space, nobody else
> can use that space. There isn't a system of queuing for spaces - people
> drive around until they find a space and park up.

Yes, that /is/ the queuing system.

> If there are no
> disabled spaces, the driver is likely to park in the next nearest space
> to the door, rather than hobble into the shop and find an assistant to
> ask the owner of whatever car's parked in the disabled space to move,
> then hobble back to their car, park again, hobble back to the shop etc.

His choice - he could just go round again.

> Because that's more work than just parking in any space.

His choice.

>>> - in the same manner as a disabled car parking space enables somebody
>>> who has difficulty walking to do things, this has enabled people who
>>> need a bit more space to do things.

>> Except the car parking space is wasted if there is nobody 'qualified'
>> to use it - unlike the bus seat or supermarket check-out.

> Able bodied people, by definition, shouldn't be unduly troubled by
> having to walk a few hundred yards to the shop door.

Depends on the circumstances. If there is /no/ other space why should
they be forced to abort their trip?

> Disabled people, on
> the other hand, are. That's why they're disabled.

Yes, they go round again, and have first call on the space - like they
do the seats in the bus.

> The crucial factor
> with the bus seat is that if someone else needs the seat, you are easily
> aware of it and can move. With a parking space, that's pretty unlikely.

Not if the safeguards I mentioned are observed.

>>> Isn't this all blindingly obvious?

>> Yes - to me at least. It appears that many have difficulties with
>> this concept though.

> Do you actually know anybody who's disabled? Once you've seen somebody
> wince in pain with every step they take,

Yes - very close to home.

> perhaps you'll understand why
> disabled spaces are important and why you shouldn't park in them.

I do of course see why they are important, but I don't see why they need
to be wasted - or reserved for exclusive use.

> Another bloody good reason for not parking in them is that people with a
> blue badge are allowed to park pretty much wherever they like. I
> personally would much rather they parked in the disabled spaces in the
> supermarket than in the middle of the road, or god forbid, blocking in
> someone able bodied parking in a disabled space.

That's only a BGR not to allow them to park "anywhere".

If they are waiting for a space they take priority. I cannot see the
problem.

> FWIW, you come up with some sane reasoning in the Bike VS Car jihad that
> goes on here, but you also seem to be full of ****.

Thank-you.

--
Matt B

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:09:57 +0000, Matt B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Doki wrote:
>>
>> And I'd also like the Police to be granted the power to cripple any able
>> bodied person parking in a disabled bay whilst we're at it...

>Remind us why an able-bodied person shouldn't use such a car parking
>space, yet they can use the special seats on buses and trains, and the
>wide check-outs in supermarkets.

Remember the Boy Scouts? If seated in a special seat, give it up for someone
who needs it more than you. Similarly with wide checkouts. But able-bodied
prats who park in disabled bays are never around to move their cars when a
disabled driver suddenly appears. I've yet to see a sign on a prat's windshield
saying "How's my parking? If you need me to move my BMW please call
07xxxyyyzzz".

Matt, some motorists really do deserve to be oppressed. You don't have to
defend them.

"Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John B wrote:
>>
>> Clive George wrote:
>>
>>> "Matt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> (puts bait down)

>> Tony will soon be along to say we've erroneously responded to a Troll.

> Are you frightened of him?
>
>> He'd be right.

> Is he always right?
>
> Censorship of discussion of controversial issues cannot be tolerated - can
> it?

No, but I suspect that many of the people on this forum are like me, and
don't tolerate fools (or trolls) gladly.

Just in case you're in any doubt, that's you. Definitely one, probably
both.

It has removed 195 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Matt B wrote:

> Censorship of discussion of controversial issues cannot be tolerated -
> can it?

I made a New Year's Resolution to clear my kill-file and give everyone a second
chance.
In your case I may have made a mistake.

John B