WOW! Check this anti cyclist ranter!

cycleone

Feb 27, 2007
I posted this on Cycling Plus as well - but thought i'd share it with you lot as well...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but this guy's a little over the top I think...

http://www.friction.tv/play.php?vid=77

bet he drives a white van
icon_smile_big.gif

Typical anti-cyclist banter. Every once in a while, some yahoo spouts off with this type of drivel, and it finds it's way to the internet via audio or video. It will be forgotten soon enough.

Just to play devil's advocate, he does make some valid points about cyclists breaking traffic laws. Although, his solution nullifies any rational thought whatsoever.

Certainly over the top, and his advocating taking cyclists off the road, arming your car, etc. is dispicable, but he does raise valid points about what cyclists tend to do sometimes. I think often we are our own worst enemy. All too often I see cyclists blowing lights, leapfrogging cars, swerving in and out of parked cars, and generally just not paying attention. I was in my car a while ago and was at a section of road where there were a lot of red lights in a short distance (enough that a cyclist could stay with the same group of cars). Every time we hit a red light, he would ride past all the cars and get to the front. Light would go green and we would all pass him. Then we would get to the next red and he would leapfrog us all again. I imagine a lot of drivers were sick of passing him by the 3 or 4th time.

That flick has "Daddy love me!" written all over it...someone was starved for attention as a little boy...so mentaly he stayed that way.:D

Guys like that are the reason cyclists need to carry hammers...

nah, but I have seen some of the bikers he is talking about, it kills me the way some ride. Of course that is no reason to overreact.

cycling_jedi said:
Guys like that are the reason cyclists need to carry hammers...

nah, but I have seen some of the bikers he is talking about, it kills me the way some ride. Of course that is no reason to overreact.
Generally I see more bad drivers than cyclists- I don't carry a hammer- that would defeat the point of the carbon fibre (perhaps someone could market a light weight hammer- a real multi-tool).

Until the new multi-tool comes out I will rely on hand signals to the drivers mirrors, and/or chasing them to the lights to hurl abuse at them. I generally treat drivers the way they treat me! Thank the polite ones and abuse the rest.

I just saw the video clip on the selfish man about anti cyclists or something. We have every right to be on the road, we obey traffic signs, and are considered to be a "vehicle" according to police. We also pay taxes, and if there aren't cycle lanes, make way cars, or we'll smack the side of your car and give you a big angry grin. You can't expect us to ride on the yellow line and get punctures the whole time while closely avoiding pedestrians!!!

No offence, but people in the Middle East don't have much consideration for cyclists and its very dangerous to ride here. I know what its like, and its not nice. We deserve our little space, so stand up for whats right, and don't be afraid!:cool:

Mean spirited car drivers are more of a threat than all cyclists combined!

Back in the 70's when I was a young fella riding on the mean streets of Miami (drivers there can be real nasty). I used to have a couple of tricks that were fun to employ...

1. I had a gray colored frame pump. (Remember frame pumps?) When a driver would lay on his horn, cut me off, or shout at me, I'd pull off my frame pump and wield it over my head. They got the impression I was gonna crash what looked like a lead pipe across their windshield. They would immediately swerve away from me.
eek.gif

2. This was the mid 70's and a lot of cars still did not have AC. In heavy traffic in South Miami drivers could become real hot headed jerks. So I'd occasionally help them to recover by cooling them off with a squirt in the face from my water bottle, sprayed through their open passenger side window.
wink.gif

It's a wonder that I'm still alive! Yes - I was young and stupid back then. Of course, I'm old and stupid now.
Yet I still chuckle when I think back to my teen years and how I handled moron drivers.
biggrin.gif

Hey, Rick... I used to ride in Miami in the 70's too. Was at the U of Miami at the time. Used to spend time at a little hole in the wall bike shop called Merle's, run by a jovial Frenchman by the name of Lou. King Eddy was in his prime back then, and I got the latest news from Lou. There was also a large bike shop over in Coral Gables, but they could be kinda snooty. I remember riding past the Krishna enclave to get from the dorms to the best part of the Gables, a regular route for me.

The locals seemed to have a competition back then - the person who hit the most bikes got a new fender for their car. They could be nasty.

We used to have fun sprinting past the retirees, though one had to be careful - they tended to wobble around a lot.

Interesting figure - back then, after 10pm, 60% of the drivers on the road in Miami were considered drunk. Got that from a friend who was nailed for DUI, and that wasn't easy to do in those days.

Overall, I loved riding in Miami, once you got away from traffic. You could get anywhere fairly quickly, and the weather was good for riding. A bit hot at times, and the odd downburst could catch you, but it never rained for long. My gearing for Miami riding was a 13-17 on the rear, and 52-60 on the front. A lot of guys rode track bikes with a single brake on the front.

I finally solved the traffic problem by moving back home to central KY. Plenty of well maintained backroads with little traffic, around the horse farms. And it has the one thing that Miami doesn't have - serious hills. I just don't ride where there are a lot of cars any more. My desire to assert my rights is exceeded by my desire to remain intact.

--John

Rick_G said:
Mean spirited car drivers are more of a threat than all cyclists combined!

Back in the 70's when I was a young fella riding on the mean streets of Miami (drivers there can be real nasty). I used to have a couple of tricks that were fun to employ...

1. I had a gray colored frame pump. (Remember frame pumps?) When a driver would lay on his horn, cut me off, or shout at me, I'd pull off my frame pump and wield it over my head. They got the impression I was gonna crash what looked like a lead pipe across their windshield. They would immediately swerve away from me.
eek.gif

2. This was the mid 70's and a lot of cars still did not have AC. In heavy traffic in South Miami drivers could become real hot headed jerks. So I'd occasionally help them to recover by cooling them off with a squirt in the face from my water bottle, sprayed through their open passenger side window.
wink.gif

It's a wonder that I'm still alive! Yes - I was young and stupid back then. Of course, I'm old and stupid now.
Yet I still chuckle when I think back to my teen years and how I handled moron drivers.
biggrin.gif

cycleone said:
Looks like someone decided to post a reponse!

http://www.friction.tv/index.php?vid=219

Bizarre site:D
Yes you are right, the rant in here has been well replied by someone . It is astonishing to hear such idiotic rants which have no relevane in todays senario. Global warming can only be reducted by cutting down pollution. Cyclists contibute their part by using a non-polluting medium of transport and conservation of the limted fuel supply.

Cycling no doubt is a pain in the neck for motor car drivers but the merits of cycling far outweighs the problems faced by a few motorists. Cycling is here to stay.
http://www.friction.tv/index.php?vid=77