wow Dario Frigo and wife given 6 month prison sentence

ilpirata said:
Is this the first time for a jail sentence for a doping offense?

Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery were tried and convicted and sentenced to prison for doping offences.

I'm surprised that Frigo ended up in prison - especially under Italian law (no insult intended).
I would have assumed that he would have got a suspended sentance at worst.

limerickman said:
Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery were tried and convicted and sentenced to prison for doping offences.

I'm surprised that Frigo ended up in prison - especially under Italian law (no insult intended).
According to CN it was a suspended sentence.

limerickman said:
QUOTE]

While the charges came about during various investigations into the sales and distribution of what we call "controlled substances", in this case PED's, they were actually convicted and sent to prison for perjury (lying under oath) and their involvement in a check fraud scheme.

There is technically no such thing as a "doping offence" in our criminal justice system. That's actually a manifestation of the various governing bodies that control participation in sports.

In all actuallity, Frigo and his wife were convicted under a set of laws more akin to possession of illegal/controlled substances. It could have just as easily been a story about someone caught with Cocaine or Heroin.

limerickman said:

Oh and BTW - They were suspended sentances for Frigo and wife.

homeycheese said:
Oh and BTW - They were suspended sentances for Frigo and wife.
so what does that actually mean then? Pardon my ignorance. community service and no real jail time?

ilpirata said:
so what does that actually mean then? Pardon my ignorance. community service and no real jail time?
It basically means they are on probation for the term of the sentence. If they behave themselves during that time they stay out of prison. If they don't behave and are convicted of any other crime committed during the six months they will go to jail and serve the full sentence.

Reading about the Frigos made me think. You always read that rider's wives have come to visit them during the last week of the Tour. Maybe now we know why.

Yup, it is essentially probation. In other words it is a first offense for a crime that is not considered to represent a danger to others. So, in the name of limiting jail crowding, the Frigos get to not go to jail.