Wow, look at these touring bikes!

Miles2go

Mar 2, 2005
*** Http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded ***

I just started this great high quality touring bike gallery as a tribute to the machines that let us get out there. Anyone I've asked for a photo so far has been delighted to contribute and I hope that continues.

Only a couple of days into this, I plan to let this run up to hundreds of quality images we can all drool over, just like the ones that are there now. I have 200mb of web storage set aside for the tribute gallery and I'm also backing the images up on two separate hard drives in case I have to rebuild it on another site some day.

I'm dyin' to see some awesome contributions from forum members here. There are guidelines though and I've had to turn a few photos away.

Here are the requirements:
1) *High Quality* The larger the better as I can resize them to the gallery norm. Like the photos already in the gallery, submissions should be in focus and clear. I can improve the images through minor changes such as cropping and dust removal but the foundation has to be solid.

2) *Fully Loaded* At least *four* panniers or two panniers *and* a trailer.

3) *Touring* Bikes need to look like they've really been on a tour rather than staged just out the garage. So, no images of bikes against the garage, against a car or inside a home. This is a gallery of bikes caught in the act of doing their thing.

4) The gallery is about the bikes so they shouldn't be obscured or shown from a full front or back angle. Look at the 15 bikes already there if you need examples.

5) Only one image per bike.

6) Please don't submit any image that isn't yours.

7) I'll need a first name of the bike owner, location of the photo (country provence/state) and a short bit saying where the tour started and ended, and the bike make and model.

Photos can be mailed to gathertheglobe(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Join in the fun and also forward this on to fellow bicycle tourers.

Tailwinds!

Ron & Nancy
http://miles2go.crazyguyonabike.com

Your "fully loaded" definition seems overly done. I've been touring for over 30 years, longest tour a bit over 2 months, all unsupported (camping out mostly, but staying at a youth hostel or such on occasion) and i've never needed 4 panniers.
guess i won't be posting a pic

A high quality collection of bikes with bags on all four corners or over two bags with the help of a trailer was my original vision for this gallery. Thinking that it would be a pretty popular since that's exactly what I enjoy seeing.

By all accounts, including over 50 emials, I was right and the collection is very well appreciated. More than I expected with the base page having over 1,200 visits in less than five days. Thanks to all that have given to the gallery thus far!

The "definition" Fully Loaded is just a generality used to begin conveying the purpose of the images and I've added the specificity of 4 panniers or 2 and a trailer. I know full well that you could go round the world with less or with the same items from the front panniers moved to the back of the bike somehow. That doesn't change the focus of this collection.

Cheers,

Ron & Nancy

philso said:
Your "fully loaded" definition seems overly done. I've been touring for over 30 years, longest tour a bit over 2 months, all unsupported (camping out mostly, but staying at a youth hostel or such on occasion) and i've never needed 4 panniers.
guess i won't be posting a pic

I agree with Philso. Two-pannier touring is the real thing, no more or less than four-pannier touring.

My longest tour was a group tour of six weeks. We all had two panniers each, stuff strapped on top of the rear rack and a handle bar bag. We were fully loaded and unsupported. It was a serious tour averaging 50 mi/day throught the Canadian Rockies. And we were a beautiful sight. Motley, scrappy, capable, happy, healthy, fun and beautiful. And all that with just two panniers each.

If I had pics, they would make your website look awesome. How about just including everyone who does serious fully loaded unsupported touring?

This gallery is growing quickly and is something all can enjoy viewing whether they use two, four or zero panniers. There are bikes you'd never see if I didn't pay for the web space, provide my time for canvasing the world wide web for submissions and to screen, format and load the images. This all takes a good bit of time for someone with a regular job and a desire to ride. The volume would likely increase three fold if I loosened up the requirements.

How much of your time and money are you willing to spend for building the gallery you speak of? And by the way, as your email account fills with a sea of 2mb images, how are you going to tell who your "serious unsupported tourers" are? I'm just curious on that one.

I'm certainly not complaining because I enjoy getting images of bikes from around the world, but I also enjoy having the time to reply in kind.

Tailwinds!

lugger said:
I agree with Philso. Two-pannier touring is the real thing, no more or less than four-pannier touring.

My longest tour was a group tour of six weeks. We all had two panniers each, stuff strapped on top of the rear rack and a handle bar bag. We were fully loaded and unsupported. It was a serious tour averaging 50 mi/day throught the Canadian Rockies. And we were a beautiful sight. Motley, scrappy, capable, happy, healthy, fun and beautiful. And all that with just two panniers each.

If I had pics, they would make your website look awesome. How about just including everyone who does serious fully loaded unsupported touring?

sorry if my post sounded a bit peevish. the tone wasn't intentional, i was just in a hurry. as far as what "fully loaded" means, it's your bandwidth and your project, which i respect. as far as what "real" touring is, that also is totally subjective. trailers, credit card and everything in between is touring if you're putting the miles in the saddle. my first tour (5 days) was with two panniers, handle bar bag, and a trailer. after hauling that pig around, i sold it to a friend as soon as i got back. over the years i've done with less and less. as i'm in the saddle from about sunup to sundown, i prefer a light load, and if the hour or two in camp when i'm not asleep is on occasion less than comfortable, i'm fine with that. if i were hard-core enough to do without a sleeping pad, shelter and raingear, i might be able to do with only a rack trunk. and i'd still be probably be calling it "fully loaded" lol;) . so to each there own, and here's to your gallery project, which does, by the way, have a lot of nice pics:cool: .

here's another site to peruse: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=69234

Thanks.

No issue at all. Touring is touring and I love it all. I am going to start a photo gallery in a couple of days with the good images people have sent that didn't cut it. Some of them just have to be shared. Like the guy that's been out for ten years and looks like the contents of his panniers could total 300 pounds. His handlebar bag is bigger than my Arkel EX-Rs. The shot didn't make the gallery because you can't see the bike all that well.

That forum thread you've linked to fueled my idea for this photo collection to some degree. I had a shot of my bike on one of those first pages, submitted a long time ago. As time goes by, more and more of the images have dropped for one reason or another and there's a lot of chit chat in that thread. I reposted a few of my photos just a day or two before creating the gallery and then posted a link to the gallery a few days later. This site and that one must be related in some way because when I posted here it pulled my avitar from bikenet.com.

Bottom line is, hope to see you on the road sometime. Even though it's a great big world, it's possible that could happen. There's nothing better than being out there!

Cheers.

philso said:
sorry if my post sounded a bit peevish. the tone wasn't intentional, i was just in a hurry. as far as what "fully loaded" means, it's your bandwidth and your project, which i respect. as far as what "real" touring is, that also is totally subjective. trailers, credit card and everything in between is touring if you're putting the miles in the saddle. my first tour (5 days) was with two panniers, handle bar bag, and a trailer. after hauling that pig around, i sold it to a friend as soon as i got back. over the years i've done with less and less. as i'm in the saddle from about sunup to sundown, i prefer a light load, and if the hour or two in camp when i'm not asleep is on occasion less than comfortable, i'm fine with that. if i were hard-core enough to do without a sleeping pad, shelter and raingear, i might be able to do with only a rack trunk. and i'd still be probably be calling it "fully loaded" lol;) . so to each there own, and here's to your gallery project, which does, by the way, have a lot of nice pics:cool: .

here's another site to peruse: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=69234