WOW! New women's hour record set

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Willowbeauty, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    from BBC...

    Van Moorsel breaks hour record

    Olympic and world champion Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel broke the world hour record in Mexico on
    Wednesday. The Dutchwoman rode 46.397km to beat the mark set by France's Jeannie Longo. Zijlaard-Van
    Moorsel, who defended her world individual pursuit title in Stuttgart last month, made the attempt
    at Mexico's Olympic Centre. Longo set a world record of 45.094km in December 2000. Zijlaard-Van
    Moorsel had tried to beat Longo's record last September in Manchester but managed only 43.475km.

    Tags:

  2. Hi, Great performance from a great athlete and woman, but funny enough in the course of the evening
    three different results were announced. At first 46349 meters, then the one you mention, 46397
    meters and now the official result, it seems, according to her website, more than 300 meter less:
    46065 meters and 11 cm. How is this possible? Does anyone have a explanation?

    Sjef

    > Van: "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> Organisatie: Customer of PlusNet
    > Beantwoord: "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> Nieuwsgroepen: uk.rec.cycling
    > Datum: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:29:19 +0100 Onderwerp: WOW! New women's hour record set
    >
    > from BBC...
    >
    > Van Moorsel breaks hour record
    >
    > Olympic and world champion Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel broke the world hour record in Mexico on
    > Wednesday. The Dutchwoman rode 46.397km to beat the mark set by France's Jeannie Longo.
    > Zijlaard-Van Moorsel, who defended her world individual pursuit title in Stuttgart last month,
    > made the attempt at Mexico's Olympic Centre. Longo set a world record of 45.094km in December
    > 2000. Zijlaard-Van Moorsel had tried to beat Longo's record last September in Manchester but
    > managed only 43.475km.

  3. Job Donjon

    Job Donjon Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:29:19 +0100, "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >from BBC...
    >
    >Van Moorsel breaks hour record
    >
    >Olympic and world champion Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel broke the world hour record in Mexico on
    >Wednesday. The Dutchwoman rode 46.397km to beat the mark set by France's Jeannie Longo.
    >Zijlaard-Van Moorsel, who defended her world individual pursuit title in Stuttgart last month, made
    >the attempt at Mexico's Olympic Centre. Longo set a world record of 45.094km in December 2000.
    >Zijlaard-Van Moorsel had tried to beat Longo's record last September in Manchester but managed only
    >43.475km.

    This is NOTHING. My ex-partner spent a full hour berating me about polishing the silver knives after
    being in the dishwasher. I reckin this is a truly outstanding women's record.