Wow Spammers And Trolls

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Mr. Beanz, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

A much as I like this site and try to contribute it is getting tougher as the spammers keep spamming the crap out of this place. As well as the trills who keep digging up old threads from years ago. Ok now and then but day after day thread after thread it seems they are doing it just to upset the posters who are actually trying to contribute to the forums.

It seems that the trolls are even opening second and third accounts and using them to dig up old threads just to pizz people off. Obvious that it's intentional. I guess I'll never understand how someone gets their rocks off by being a troll.

Pretty cool place but I can see why posters are leaving and even those that are still here are becoming more and more inactive. I guess eventually it will come down to trolls reviving old spammer buy quality document threads. :(

I can't really blame the mod/mods as it has to be a lot of work trying to tame the children. But it's sad to think this place will soon be a ghost town type forum thanks to those who are intentionally trying to upset the posters who actually try to contribute.

Tags:

2. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

The spammers are automated bots. Some websites use captchas---those random sequences of letters and numbers---that have to be typed into a box correctly to validate a new registration---to deter spam bots. I don't know whether the platform that powers this site has them or not?

And unfortunately, putting JSLoser and his cohorts on Ignore doesn't stop 10+ old threads that they revive from showing on the forum. :(

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  3. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Unfortunately that all seems true. I've been on here roughly 3 years, and I would say that the legitimate posts are pretty scarce now - too bad, I learned a lot from some of the regulars like C-Bob and Volnix, who graciously put up with my stupidity.

Volnix and Mr. Beanz like this.
  4. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, jhuskey and limerickman are the only two moderators, besides Steve, the administrator of the site. Maybe Steve should consider adding another. This site has always had a "let 'em play" atmosphere. The moderators don't want to be too heavy handed.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  5. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Yeah... We need to "take care" of the situation... :D

I could be a mod. :D I like munching trolls. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnFOan-6Aug

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  6. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Careful Volnix he might get a thrill out of that, because I think he might be a bit of a necrophile seeing as he's going after all the old threads.

That or maybe he just likes 'em older...

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  7. Mr. Beanz

I can see their point but when it comes to too much clowning around and driving away actual contributing posters, seems like enough is enough.

I've seen a few forums become ghost towns.

I mean some guy has a problem finding a bolt for his bike back in 1968 and some dude answers today with a response? :unsure:

8. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Now although I suspect that You and JSSchwein are the same person, that was some fine trolling. :D

Reminds me if this Danish movie. :) Totally worth a couple beers now that the weather turned bad... ;)

Nightwatch:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0110631/

[​IMG]

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I am all for it.We had another one but he faded away. It is hard to be vigilant all the time and have a life.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

So that bolt question was finally answered after all this time? That's exciting news, just a shame the OP passed away 30 years ago...

11. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I must disappoint you. Me and JSNecro are different entities :)

I can see some merit in bringing back topics that might make for some revived discussion but bringing back threads asking on advice that has clearly been answered just does not make any logical sense.

12. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

I assure you that I don't have that "life" thing... :D

So I just log in to a mod account and the interface goes "Start a new thread, Reply and Smack Down Trolls"? :D

Is the mod interface black background with green lettering? :D

13. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Why are you replying every time he digs a cold one out then? :D

14. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Sorry to hear of your demise. I guess we can change your status from advanced member to advanced Zombie. :lol:

15. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Arrrgh.. I should have stayed in school! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5xHTRRzH8

16. likeascroll

likeascroll Member

Yes hopefully the owners will do more about this. It really dampens the environment of the forum.

17. Dahlia

Dahlia New Member

OK, at the risk of sounding ignorant of forum etiquette (oh who am I kidding, I am ignorant of forum etiquette) what exactly is a troll? I have a pretty good idea what a spammer is but I am a little fuzzy on the term "Troll." I know from children's literature that they are horrible creatures that enjoy other peoples misery, are miserable themselves and happy being that way, and if I'm not mistaken, they lunch on children, cyclists, and people who don't know better than to cross their bridge without paying the toll fee. So I am guessing that trolls are people who purposely look for negative things to say to upset people and incite anger. I can't see that a lot of that would be healthy for any site let alone a cite that does not deal in controversy. I am surprised to hear the word "moderator" come up. I guess it never occurred to me that you would have people screening posts for more than just blatant profanity or other really unacceptable verbiage that is aimed at shocking people. How do you know when a person is really malicious or if its just an unpopular opinion. Can't this sort of moderating go too far? I don't want to say too much for fear of being censured. it actually happened to me on another cite and I was quite hurt by it. I really didn't mean any harm, it was just my honest opinion of what I had read, but one or two people took offense to it. Well I took offense to the post that I read and said as much. I thought forums were supposed to get interesting conversation going as well as give advice and information. Am I wrong? Please explain the whole troll thing to me, I don't want to over step my limitations on any site.

18. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I was a frequent contributor here several (or more) years ago. I stopped visiting back then due to the conditions that you are all describing now. Maybe I need to pull another Rip Van Winkle and see of it gets any better next time I stop by.

Dahlia, except for the eating of children and cyclists, you have pretty much described a troll. Picture your children's literature troll with a computer and internet connection instead of a bridge.

19. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9h New Member

I keep seeing spammers around too. They are quite annoying. I guess they are everywhere though. There should be an option to block them or prevent them from posting here for whoever runs the page.

20. Mr. Beanz

There should be some kind of way to monitor IP addresses so these trolls quit creating profile after profile pretending to be new members.

Dahlia likes this.