WR: the kindness of an LBS

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 24, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all out of
    the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to me, he simply
    stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got 3, just in case)?"
    "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    in. these 'll get ya by till then"

    So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week (it's
    always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at this time, i
    see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i wish i had that
    freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the cassette tool they
    ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and see if maybe they have a
    new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still as good as a new one). and
    before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip it to the spoke beside it and
    squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to look for any hidden broken spokes.

    But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the manager
    knows me and my father. either way makes no difference, because with service like that, i have no
    quarrel of returning again for any part needed. i may check with them and see if they know of any
    group rides too. may be a good way to meet new people and improve my riding. but i gotta work the
    endurance back up to where i can at least do 25 miles or more and still come home with enough energy
    to walk. i hear they have a team too, though i am not sure what the team is a part of, weather it is
    just a riding group, or if they actually race. either way may be worth looking into. though i must
    admit, i don't exactly like the color of their team jerseys. yellow is not really my thing, but who
    knows, maybe it would work with the "new Travis".
    --
    ~Travis

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all out of
    | the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to me, he
    | simply stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got 3, just in
    | case)?" "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    | in. these 'll get ya by till then"
    |
    | So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week (it's
    | always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at this time,
    | i see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i wish i had that
    | freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the cassette tool they
    | ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and see if maybe they have a
    | new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still as good as a new one). and
    | before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip it to the spoke beside it and
    | squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to look for any hidden broken spokes.
    |
    | But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the manager
    | knows me and my father. either way makes no difference, because with service like that, i have no
    | quarrel of returning again for any part needed. i may check with them and see if they know of any
    | group rides too. may be a good way to meet new people and improve my riding. but i gotta work the
    | endurance back up to where i can at least do 25 miles or more and still come home with enough
    | energy to walk. i hear they have a team too, though i am not sure what the team is a part of,
    | weather it is just a riding group, or if they actually race. either way may be worth looking into.
    | though i must admit, i don't exactly like the color of their team jerseys. yellow is not really my
    | thing, but who knows, maybe it would work with the "new Travis".

    Trav, you need to save your money and get some new wheels. I've got a spare set, but the nipples are
    now suspect.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/19/2003

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all out
    > | of the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to me, he
    > | simply stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got 3, just in
    > | case)?" "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    > | in. these 'll get ya by till then"
    > |
    > | So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week
    > | (it's always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at
    > | this time, i see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i
    > | wish i had that freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the
    > | cassette tool they ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and see
    > | if maybe they have a new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still as
    > | good as a new one). and before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip it to
    > | the spoke beside it and squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to look for
    > | any hidden broken spokes.
    > |
    > | But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the
    > | manager knows me and my father. either way makes no difference, because with service like that,
    > | i have no quarrel of returning again for any part needed. i may check with them and see if they
    > | know of any group rides too. may be a good way to meet new people and improve my riding. but i
    > | gotta work the endurance back up to where i can at least do 25 miles or more and still come home
    > | with enough energy to walk. i hear they have a team too, though i am not sure what the team is a
    > | part of, weather it is just a riding group, or if they actually race. either way may be worth
    > | looking into. though i must admit, i don't exactly like the color of their team jerseys. yellow
    > | is not really my thing, but who knows, maybe it would work with the "new Travis".
    >
    > Trav, you need to save your money and get some new wheels. I've got a spare set, but the nipples
    > are now suspect.

    and until then am i supposed to ride on a wheel missing 2 spokes, or not ride at all?
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all
    > > | out of the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to
    > > | me, he simply stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got
    > > | 3, just in case)?" "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    > > | in. these 'll get ya by till then"
    > > |
    > > | So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week
    > > | (it's always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at
    > > | this time, i see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i
    > > | wish i had that freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the
    > > | cassette tool they ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and
    > > | see if maybe they have a new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still
    > > | as good as a new one). and before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip
    > > | it to the spoke beside it and squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to
    > > | look for any hidden broken spokes.
    > > |
    > > | But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the
    > > | manager knows me and my father. either way makes no difference, because with service like
    > > | that, i have no quarrel of returning again for any part needed. i may check with them and see
    > > | if they know of any group rides too. may be a good way to meet new people and improve my
    > > | riding. but i gotta work the endurance back up to where i can at least do 25 miles or more and
    > > | still come home with enough energy to walk. i hear they have a team too, though i am not sure
    > > | what the team is a part of, weather it is just a riding group, or if they actually race.
    > > | either way may be worth looking into. though i must admit, i don't exactly like the color of
    > > | their team jerseys. yellow is not really my thing, but who knows, maybe it would work with the
    > > | "new Travis".
    > >
    > > Trav, you need to save your money and get some new wheels. I've got a spare set, but the nipples
    > > are now suspect.
    > >

    > and until then am i supposed to ride on a wheel missing 2 spokes, or not ride at all?

    Upon re-reading this it sounded snappy.

    The intent was that for now, these wheel are perfectly fine. the rims, while most likely not being
    top quality, have held up under my normal riding. the hubs are fine if i remember to re-pack them
    once in a while. the spokes only broke, IMO because either A) my apparent steep learning curve of
    HT vs FS, B) my lack of the use of a tension gauge when building the wheel, so it is likely that
    some spokes may have been a bit over tensioned. i have yet to pull a nipple out or strip it. it
    always seems to be at the L bend of the spokes (found out they are in fact double-butted spokes
    branded by Giant).

    I figure i will hold off on buying new wheels as i plan to upgrade to a 9 speed rear sometime in the
    future. that way i won't have to make two separate purchases for the same basic thing.

    And if you don't mind me asking, what makes nipples suspect? perhaps mine are as well (don't know
    what they are, but it ain't brass). in retrospect, that seems a rather personal question. ;-)

    And visually, how can i tell a double-butted spoke from a straight gauge, and just what makes
    double-butted better (or visa versa)?
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Mx-Pilot

    Mx-Pilot Guest

    > well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all out of
    > the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to me, he
    > simply stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got 3, just in
    > case)?" "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    > in. these 'll get ya by till then"
    >
    > So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week (it's
    > always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at this time,
    > i see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i wish i had that
    > freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the cassette tool they
    > ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and see if maybe they have a
    > new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still as good as a new one). and
    > before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip it to the spoke beside it and
    > squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to look for any hidden broken spokes.
    >
    > But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the manager
    > knows me and my father.

    awww thats cute isn't it...u and your daddy.. anywazs u think a spoke really means your that
    important a customer to him? lol. whats a spoke, 30 cents. 30 for a buck. something like that.

  6. Technician wrote:
    > and until then am i supposed to ride on a wheel missing 2 spokes, or not ride at all?

    Yes. sure seems that way. The gravy train has done gone and left the station.)

    Consider it practice for Cyclocross..... Shoulder your bike and RUN

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    http://www.dtswiss.com

    --
    Slacker

  8. > And visually, how can i tell a double-butted spoke from a straight

    Feel along the length, you'll notice the change in diameter. You can see the difference too if your
    eyes haven't gone out.

    > gauge, and just what makes double-butted better (or visa versa)?

    Some shit about springiness and absorbing hits instead of transmitting them, but I highly doubt it
    equates to much at all.

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    mmm. My LBS is similar.

    I went in there 7 weeks ago, and walked out with a $1500 hardtail, and also with an invitation to ride a XC course with a local group. Had a blast (I swear I have never sweated so much in my life!) and learned a LOT. So far I have been on about 4 rides to a variety of trails with the same group and it's been great.

    Three cheers for LBSes! :)

  10. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Trav, you need to save your money and get some new wheels. I've got a
    spare
    > set, but the nipples are now suspect.

    Hey, I offered... But it's too late now.

  11. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > And visually, how can i tell a double-butted spoke from a straight
    >
    > Feel along the length, you'll notice the change in diameter. You can see the difference too if
    > your eyes haven't gone out.
    >
    > > gauge, and just what makes double-butted better (or visa versa)?
    >
    > Some shit about springiness and absorbing hits instead of transmitting
    them,
    > but I highly doubt it equates to much at all.

    You need to gain a better understanding of and experience with the subject before you make such a
    judgement.

  12. Technician wrote:
    > But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the manager
    > knows me and my father. either way makes no difference, because with service like that, i have no
    > quarrel of returning again for any part needed.

    Keep going there and I'm sure you'll start getting discounts on anything u pay for.

    Tuesday evening I went to my local LBS after having arranged earlier to have some help replacing the
    rear bearings on my Specialized (Which I bought in Holland) with a set I bought on sale from
    Mountainspeed a while a go. I talked to the tech wizard in the shop and he told me to get in 3
    seconds before closing at 7 pm because then there would be time to do it without stress.

    We did the replacement, or rather he did and I passed the time doing smal talk and polishing my
    bike*. I also got a extra front wheel (Deore hub and Mavic X221 to be used as a backup) to ensure I
    could ride right away since I brought the bike in with a potatoe chip front wheel**, he replaced the
    brake pads (v-brakes) and even moved the tube+tire from the destroyed wheel to the new one.

    The whole job took about 2 hours during which I sponsored some pizza and a soft drink (I insisted)
    and I ended up paying aprox. $120 and that includes the rebuild of the destroyed wheel with a Mavic
    519 rim, butted spokes and new bearings for the hub (one of thoose oversized Specialized ones). Oh
    and it's also worth mentioning that I send my shock (Vanillla
    R) to service in the UK, so the guy at my LBS has lent me one of his own till it's back!

    This all sounds almost to good to be true I know and it must be said that I have been shopping at
    that very LBS for 13 years or so (but never actually bought a bike there due a whole bunch of silly
    reasons). So during the years I know almost everyone that works there (they are like 10 people) and
    the wizard guy is an occasional riding buddy also:)

    Kind regards

    Bruno

    *When crashing hard it's recommended to check for cracks in the frame and fork which I why I
    polished the bike.

    **It's now rim #3 that has been build on the hub - I highly recommend the heavy duty Specialized
    hubs (The one's with the QR axel that's like
    2.5 times the normal diameter)

  13. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "MX-Pilot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > well, my last ride managed to break a spoke. so i threaded it out and drove to the LBS. all out
    > > of the correct size, but had some a touch longer. as Todd (store manager) handed them to me, he
    > > simply stated "your all set". confused, i ask "but don't i have to pay for these (got 3, just in
    > > case)?" "nah, just bring 'em back when the right size comes
    > > in. these 'll get ya by till then"
    > >
    > > So, not sure when they expected the new shipment, but i figure i'll try the end of next week
    > > (it's always the end or the middle of next week). got home and threaded in the spoke, and at
    > > this time, i see another spoke broken about 6 or 7 nipples away, and on the drive side. now i
    > > wish i had that freewheel removal tool that LBS was supposed to get in replacement for the
    > > cassette tool they ordered first. figure when i stop in next week i will bring the tool and see
    > > if maybe they have a new or used one they can swap (a used tool in good condition is still as
    > > good as a new one). and before i go, i will give all the spokes a good tension test (grip it to
    > > the spoke beside it and squeeze) to make sure there are no obvious weak ones, and to look for
    > > any hidden broken spokes.
    > >
    > > But it makes you wonder, would they do this for just anybody, or is it simply because the
    > > manager knows me and my father.
    >

    > awww thats cute isn't it...u and your daddy.. anywazs u think a spoke
    really
    > means your that important a customer to him? lol. whats a spoke, 30 cents. 30 for a buck.
    > something like that.

    What does it matter if it's only 30 cents? Since you seem to know the price, does that mean that you
    have to pay for your spokes? You don't catch flies with vinegar....
    --
    Westie