Wrapping FSA K-Wing Bars...

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
I decided to re-wrap my K-Wings over the weekend...first of all, I bought some Fizik Bar tape and decided to wrap the flats as well closer to the stem...there wasn't enough tape, and besides, I screwed one side up and when I tried to unwrap it the Tape tore...

So, I bought some Cinelli...still not enough Tape to wrap it close enough...

Does anyone produce longer lengths of Tape? Anyone else had this problem?

Jaguar27 said:
I decided to re-wrap my K-Wings over the weekend...first of all, I bought some Fizik Bar tape and decided to wrap the flats as well closer to the stem...there wasn't enough tape, and besides, I screwed one side up and when I tried to unwrap it the Tape tore...

So, I bought some Cinelli...still not enough Tape to wrap it close enough...

Does anyone produce longer lengths of Tape? Anyone else had this problem?
I dont think there is any tape long enuf to wrap the flats. What about stopping the tape at the shifters and then starting again with another roll (of the same color). Of course you have to purchase tape for 2 bars.

I have also seen handlebar tape sold in large rolls meant for shop use (the description says "Enough for 10 bars"). Check out probikekit.com http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1502

This might be more cost effective for you in the long run.

BTW I have only ever seen the k wing bars wrapped just beyond the hoods, when you have fully wrapped them (incl. the flat tops) could you send me a picture? Would like to see what they would look like fully wrapped.

Thanks for the Tips Thomas...and yes, I'll send you some pics...

As of today, I only have about 3" of the Flats covered...it looks kinda OK..previously they were only wrapped to the indent where the flats start...

The K-Wings "look" really cool when the flats are bare but it doesn't do much for grip or comfort...

FYI, I can't see or feel any difference between the Fizik ($30 a kit) and the Cinelli, $12.00 but the Fizik did come with a Gel Kit which fits nicely and is easy to cut-to-fit...

But I do like your idea of wrapping to the Hoods then carrying on to the flats....

I have record Brifters so I can't wrap too far in towards the Stem because the Cables come out a few inches either side (Of the Stem)...if that makes sense...

The new wrap (and Bar Gel) was part of my setting the Bike up for a "comfy Century" this Saturday, Michellin Megamium 2 Tires, a different Saddle etc...they all added weight but really smoothed out the ride...but it's all coming off after the ride...

It's amazing what a few changes can do to alter the ride characteristics of a Bike isn't it?

thomas_cho said:
I dont think there is any tape long enuf to wrap the flats. What about stopping the tape at the shifters and then starting again with another roll (of the same color). Of course you have to purchase tape for 2 bars.

I have also seen handlebar tape sold in large rolls meant for shop use (the description says "Enough for 10 bars"). Check out probikekit.com http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1502

This might be more cost effective for you in the long run.

BTW I have only ever seen the k wing bars wrapped just beyond the hoods, when you have fully wrapped them (incl. the flat tops) could you send me a picture? Would like to see what they would look like fully wrapped.

I guess you are paying extra for the gel strips that come with the fizik kit. I am thinking of putting this on as well. Do the gel strips really work?

Wont wrapping the flat section of the K Wing bars make them extremly bulky?

Yes, the Gel strips do work and they seem to fit K-Wings perfectly, obviously you need to cut them shorter towards the center of the Bars...or to use the full length you'll need longer wrap obviously...they also supply two pieces, one for each drop...

They don't really make the flats that much more bulky because they only sit on top...

The fizik kit would be perfect if the wraps were longer...plus I need a LOT of extra length because I like to wrap my bars really close...

I think I have maximum possible comfort now, starting from the road, Megamium 2 tires (amazingly smooth) Carbon forks with carbon drop-outs and steerer...alum/carbon stem and carbon bars with Gel...I'll probably fall asleep on Saturday...

But if you're looking for a smoother ride for your hands I'd deffinately recomend the megamium 2 Tires...they're incredible comfort wise, they handle really well, stick like glue...they're just a bit heavier than normal road tires...always a trade off...

thomas_cho said:
I guess you are paying extra for the gel strips that come with the fizik kit. I am thinking of putting this on as well. Do the gel strips really work?

Wont wrapping the flat section of the K Wing bars make them extremly bulky?