Wrecked because of a car

ryan_tran03

Apr 24, 2010
Yesterday I was on my routine route and I was going down a road where there was a dead raccoon in the middle, so I pulled slightly to the right shoulder. Then out of nowhere a car, black Silverado, darted toward me and failed to give me road, and even started turning toward me as if he was trying to run me down.

I noticed this so I quickly tried to get into the side ditch as soon as possible but the shoulder of the road dropped down into this road/gravel stuff and it caused me to crash and I got thrown from my bike and some parts of my bike are now useless...:(
lol pics or it didn't happen. here's my injuries, not the best pic but I also cleaned it up a lot.
30487_415908347639_553017639_5092074_5588326_n.jpg

Now my question would be how much more dangerous would it be if I had used clipless pedals as I wrecked at 26mph, or atleast I think so because that was the last time I saw my cycling computer? Also, I'm a little out of words because I was purposely targeted by a car... Where to from here?

I only started riding this year due to fear of a future genetic heart problem, but as I'm still only a teenager/adult (right on that thin line haha) with an over protective mother, she doesn't want me riding alone anymore. So I need advice on what happens now... :confused:
Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you reported it to the Police?

ryan_tran03 said:
Now my question would be how much more dangerous would it be if I had used clipless pedals as I wrecked at 26mph

I only started riding this year due to fear of a future genetic heart problem, but as I'm still only a teenager/adult (right on that thin line haha) with an over protective mother, she doesn't want me riding alone anymore. So I need advice on what happens now... :confused:
Thanks guys.

I understand from you post that you were not clipped in? It would have makde no difference if you were clipped in. Clipless pedals are designed to detach from your cleat when you crash.

What to do next? definitely report the incident to the police. Did you get any information on the car? Make/color? It is important that you do this because someone who target you is very likely to target other cyclists. You came away from the incident OK, but someone else could end up dead.

In terms of riding alone or in a group. This is a tough one. I definitely feel safer riding in group as the group is more visible to vehicular traffic than a lone rider is. That being said, group riding carries with it its own risks. . .

that definately sucks. I can tell you that yesterday, I was trying to put my water bottle back into the cage and missed. I pulled over to get it, when a car swerved just so he could run it over! People can suck at times, but heal up and get back in the saddle so to speak! :D

Sorry to hear about that. you've had a bad experience to say the least, some people are just stupid and crazy, it makes you wonder what goes through their tiny brains. Try not to let it put you off and get back in the saddle as soon as possible. this is an extreme case, fortunately most drivers are sane and reasonable.

Mr. Tran are you Vietnamese (I'm guessing by the tran)?

I've got an overprotective Vietnamese mom and when I was a kid she refused to let me leave the street I lived on, much less ride off of the sidewalk!

Eventually I got enough money to buy my own bike and it wasn't like she could take it away from me. She got really worried each time I left and was scared when I came home with a broken collarbone. But eventually after coming back alive each time she got less and less worried. It'll take time!

The situation probably got the better of you this time, but as you get better with bike handling you'll be able to anticipate these things and handle them better. Some drivers are really aggressive and may even brush up against you if they make bad passes. Pay attention to the noises the vehicles make so you'll be able to know how close they will be when they pass you.

Just remember, drivers of vehicles are more likely to die in an accident than people riding bikes. If your mom drives, she's more likely to die than you are (at least in the US). Also, driving is very stressful so try to be as courteous as you can, since road rage can kill you. Likewise, stay calm since bike rage can put divers in dangerous situations.

I don't think clipless pedals are dangerous. In fact, there are safety benefits of clipless pedals as you're less likely to slip off your pedals.

genedan said:
Mr. Tran are you Vietnamese (I'm guessing by the tran)?

I've got an overprotective Vietnamese mom and when I was a kid she refused to let me leave the street I lived on, much less ride off of the sidewalk!

Oh man! Genedan you're the man haha, I am Vietnamese. Well... a Vietnamese-Chinese hybrid with British and French cousins lol... :D

But, in the midst of getting thrown 20 or so feet I did manage to see that it was a black Silverado truck, but that's all I could get out of it. And I wasn't clipped or anything but wanted to see if that would have maybe thrown me not as far.

I'm feeling fine, quite a bit sore on my left side, especially my left shoulder has the year before I messed up my rotary-cuff, but normally I try to be as considerate as possible, but could it be that the driver tried to avoid the raccoon? Maybe it's just me not wanting to put blame on whoever, but still.

It's just got me a little upset cause I'd rather run over a raccoon than a cyclist. However, I did report it to the cops.

decca234uk said:
Sorry to hear about that. you've had a bad experience to say the least, some people are just stupid and crazy, it makes you wonder what goes through their tiny brains. Try not to let it put you off and get back in the saddle as soon as possible. this is an extreme case, fortunately most drivers are sane and reasonable.

It good to hear that this is extreme. actually as i was laying there for 5 mins a few cars stopped and helped me up and offered first aid too. so i'm definitely thankful for them. hopefully i can get back in the saddle soon, any ideas on how to heal faster?

I feel for you as i have had run ins with drivers of cars and vans which seem to have me in their sights. I overtook a van at some lights the other day , I got to them just as they changed and zoomed past all the other cars and this van. He then took it upon himself to try and race me and cut me up whenever he could. It came to a head at a traffic island when i stopped and he purposefully came right up beside me and cut me into the side verge. I replied with a swift thump to his window and alerted him to my prescence. He had such a problem with me for no reason at all. I am a car driver and a cyclist and see both sides of this situation but i would never do anything like that to a cyclist while driving. People like this need reporting to the police and given points and fines..
Get back on the bike dude and stick it to the man (car drivers). :D

whuppingboy said:
Get back on the bike dude and stick it to the man (car drivers). :D

Hey thanks whuppingboy, I've been healing up pretty good and it's been about a week or so, and scrapes and whatnot are healing. I'm not so worried about sticking it to the man as i am worried about sticking to the car lol... :eek:

Hmm, I just wish there was a way to get drivers to share the road or something, I mean even just some slight common courtesy would be nice... But nope. Don't know why drivers need to take it into their hands to push us cyclists around... dahh.

I've been off my bike for a week and it's felt like an eternity, but seeing my bike in its current condition kinda makes me sad, as its slightly ruined. hm. :(

Monsieurpeloton said:
I just picked up a RoadID so that if I get in a wreck and I am unconscious, medical personnel can get my vitals and notify my loved ones.
Road ID®

Huh? I just checked that out, and definitely thanks for the heads up. I will most likely invest in something like that whether it's just tags or something of that ideal.

However my early question was never really answered,... would anyone happen to know the fastest "proven" method to heal up? Like duration to use bandages, or anything like that? Just little tips...
Thanks again guys.

ryan_tran03 said:
Huh? I just checked that out, and definitely thanks for the heads up. I will most likely invest in something like that whether it's just tags or something of that ideal.

However my early question was never really answered,... would anyone happen to know the fastest "proven" method to heal up? Like duration to use bandages, or anything like that? Just little tips...
Thanks again guys.
Besides keeping the wounds clean, don't put any over the counter preparations like Neosporin on them. They advertise that these speed healing but independent studies have shown that they actually lengthen it. Use bandages until the wounds scab over and don't break open when you move. Cover them when there is a risk of them getting dirty, like when you ride. And get back on the bike now. Waiting to heal up completely before riding again is not accomplishing anything. Now if you had strained tendons, torn muscles, or broken bones, then you wouldn't want to ride until these conditions healed. But cuts, abrasions, and bruises shouldn't stop you from riding for more than a couple of days, long enough for the skin to start to knit back together.

Just like kd said in the previous post, clean the cuts and grazes and keep them clean and cover when out and about. If you need to change the bandages/dressings several times a day then so be it. If there's anything else wrong - like spains, strains and broken/disclocated bones then you need some quality rest and healing time off the bike.

Report the incident to the Police and consider changing your route. The sooner you get out on the bike again the better. The Police in our City are pretty good about looking after 'recreational' folk who do out doors stuff like run and cycle and most of the as$holes have better stuff to do like shooting mountain lions, deer, planting acres of weed, brewing moonshine and four-wheeling through the canyons.

Thanks for the advice swampy and kd.

Actually to update how I've been doing, the fall kind of shook up my left shoulder as the year before I tore my rotary cuff. My shoulder has been a little bit sore since, but it works perfectly fine lol. :D However, the other day I got back out there and did 30 miles and honestly, being off the bike for all that time made it feel like a complete new experience.

Even hurting my shoulder was a good thing I guess? For that very reason I pretty much finally got the riding with no hands thing down :p. But I do it safely and when I'm eating on an empty road!

Everything has healed up with the exception of a slightly deeper cut on my knee which somehow always seems to get torn back open... but for the most part it's all a lot better and I'm definitely getting back into the groove.

As swampy said though... I just hope when they shoot stuff, they don't pull a **** Cheney with a cyclist....