wrecked bikes - how long does they satnd in YOUR streets?

hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)
and I'd like to know how things work in your
corner of the world - that is: HOW LONG would/does
such a bike stand on the street before it gets
removed by whoever is in charge of removing wreckage?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2179778915/

And if you want to know, the answer for Paris is:
It depends - between days and monthes, even years.
That one (see below) was there 19 monthes ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2180569092/

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)
> and I'd like to know how things work in your
> corner of the world - that is: HOW LONG would/does
> such a bike stand on the street before it gets
> removed by whoever is in charge of removing wreckage?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2179778915/
>
> And if you want to know, the answer for Paris is:
> It depends - between days and monthes, even years.
> That one (see below) was there 19 monthes ago.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2180569092/

there is a old mtb thats been locked up next to a pub in kingston upon
thames for a year or so thats we've noticed.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

[email protected] wrote:
> hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)
> and I'd like to know how things work in your
> corner of the world - that is: HOW LONG would/does
> such a bike stand on the street before it gets
> removed by whoever is in charge of removing wreckage?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2179778915/

A bike like the one above will gradually evaporate, with the smaller
more energetic bits leaving first, until only the frame remains.
After this the frame can stay for well over a year.

Of course the above bicycle appears almost complete apart from the two
wheels. If it were a bike of mine, I would take it home and fix it with
the spare parts in my garage. (Yes I do have two spare wheels, four
spare pedals, and all the spare cables and flexies ;-) )

What really is a pity is that the above bike was not locked up properly
given that it has a u-lock and a cable lock. (I know it is victim blaming)

[email protected] wrote:

> hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)
> and I'd like to know how things work in your
> corner of the world - that is: HOW LONG would/does
> such a bike stand on the street before it gets
> removed by whoever is in charge of removing wreckage?

All I know is that when I do my annual parked cycle count, the
abandoned bikes from last year have gone. This is in Ealing, West London.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

at what point does a bike cease to a be bike?
is this still a motorbike?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2175566931/
and is this still a bike?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2141/2179784479_e557645090.jpg

Martin Dann wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2179778915/

>What really is a pity is that the above bike was not locked up properly
>given that it has a u-lock and a cable lock. (I know it is victim blaming)

Perhaps even more poignant is this one, though it is probably a
carrier off a moto.

On Jan 13, 2:37 am, Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> hi all! I shot that picture in Paris (France)

> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2179778915/

> >What really is a pity is that the above bike was not locked up properly
> >given that it has a u-lock and a cable lock. (I know it is victim blaming)

> Perhaps even more poignant is this one, though it is probably a
> carrier off a moto.http://www.flickr.com/photos/22607526@N04/2175566931/
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

For some reason that made me laugh, albeit guiltily.