Wrist pain

reub2000

Jul 10, 2007
I'm riding a Giant Cypress ST, which is a hyrbrid bycle with straight handlebars. Bike riding has been causing me pain in the wrists. The guy at the bike shop told me to keep my wrist straight, but that's not the natural position for my wrists, and I unconciously asume a position where my wrists are at a slight angle. I also wear a pair of cannondale gloves.

One other thing, I also get minor pain in my pinky and ring finger, and along the bottom of my hand. Anyone else experiance this?

reub2000 said:
I'm riding a Giant Cypress ST, which is a hyrbrid bycle with straight handlebars. Bike riding has been causing me pain in the wrists. The guy at the bike shop told me to keep my wrist straight, but that's not the natural position for my wrists, and I unconciously asume a position where my wrists are at a slight angle. I also wear a pair of cannondale gloves.
Are the bars completely straight right across or is there a slight angle at stem so the bars angle slightly back towards you? This can put the wrists in a bad position. Solution is to turn the bars around so they angle away from you - the wrists will be in a more natural angle then.

reub2000 said:
The guy at the bike shop told me to keep my wrist straight, but that's not the natural position for my wrists, and I a position where my wrists are at a slight angle.
Not only practice riding with straight wrists but ride flat handed as well with finger tips on the brakes :) If you do wrap your fingers around the bars don't choke them, keep everything loose. You don't need to grip tightly even over roughish roads.
I did 22k kls on a hybrid so trust me :rolleyes:

Alex Simmons said:
Are the bars completely straight right across or is there a slight angle at stem so the bars angle slightly back towards you? This can put the wrists in a bad position. Solution is to turn the bars around so they angle away from you - the wrists will be in a more natural angle then.
The bars angle slightly upwards and towards me. The angle is slight, and not as extreme as on my parents bike.

I feel like tinkering with my bike. I was wondering if replacing the handelbars would help.

Albert 50 said:
Not only practice riding with straight wrists but ride flat handed as well with finger tips on the brakes :) If you do wrap your fingers around the bars don't choke them, keep everything loose. You don't need to grip tightly even over roughish roads.
I did 22k kls on a hybrid so trust me :rolleyes:
I have to grip it with enough force to keep control of the handlebar, and to counteract the force my feet are placing onto the petals.