Write Amtrak

kspangler

Feb 8, 2004
I wrote this letter (see below) to Amtrak and thought maybe other cyclists might like to voice their opinion.

Amtrak wrote me back, but didn't sound to enthusiastic about the idea. You know it would cost them too much money. Well, maybe they need to hear a little more on the topic from "US". .

National Railroad Passenger Corporation
Mr. Alexander K. Kummant,
Amtrak President & Chief Executive Officer
60 Massachusetts Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002

Dear Mr. Kummant,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and acknowledge this letter. My reason for writing is to ask if Amtrak is considering, as part of its “Business Strategy & Strategic Initiatives,” to allow passengers to bring their bicycles (unboxed) along with them on the train – similar to the service provided on trains in Europe.

In this day and age of high fuel prices, bicycles are becoming more and more popular as a primary mode of transportation here in the United States. As a member of the (name of your club) Bike Club, (city, State)., and someone who rides (miles) miles a year, I know how beneficial this service would be to avid cyclists and the general public. The requirement to disassemble a bike for shipment – which is Amtrak’s current policy for bikes – is not only costly (about $300/bike), but is a major inconvenience which discourages traveling by train.

With the failing reputation of U.S. airlines due to increased ticket prices and poor customer service, more and more travelers are examining the options for public transportation. Making transportation easier and more efficient is the key to attracting a more dedicated and satisfied customer base, as I’m confident you clearly understand. .

I must admit that I was told by many of my bicycling friends, that Amtrak would not be interested in hearing my concerns or ideas. Well, I know I am only one person – one Amtrak guest – but I think I have a good idea and I want to share it with the person (company) who can make a difference. Bicycling is the key to the future of transportation, but it needs to work with other moods of transportation to be successful. I personally think the train is a key component to this endeavor; and that the policy could easily be implemented with little cost or inconvenience to Amtrak.

I encourage you, if you haven’t already done so, to review your policy on making us box our bikes up for shipment on your trains. The change in policy would certainly be a welcome one for those of us you would rather park our cars and take the train to explore our county..

Thank you again for listening to my concerns and recommendations. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

$300/bike? No way. The best way to have someone reject your letter out of hand is to exaggerate details.

Amtrak is about as poorly funded as an entity can get. As a long distance service, Amtrak gets beat by airline prices as well as time of travel. I don't know what percentage of Amtrak's services are commuter services.

If any campaign like yours is going to work, it'll need to research Amtrak to see what their rider census is; what sort of train cars Amtrak has and whether or not those cars could accomodate bikes; what it would cost Amtrak to accomodate cyclists; and so on.

If you want them to sympathize with you, you need to show that you know what their situation is and how they can feasibly do what you suggest.