Wrong change

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 21, 2006.

  1. One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.

    Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    > today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    > had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    > the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    > shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
    >
    > Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    > put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

    This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
    to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
    $180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
    wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
    aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
    charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
    people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
    been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
    crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
    price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
    transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
    was convinced she'd done the right thing.

    I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
    at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
    the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
    showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
    "Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
    I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
    Christmas gift.

  3. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >> One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked
    >> me today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so,
    >> what I had done about it.

    If I notice it, I tell them about it. I guess you can tell that I have
    never been undercharged a bundle as I used the words "if I notice". :)
    However, the same principle would apply. I like to enjoy my sleep at night.

    Debbie

    (Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
    name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

  4. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    >>today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    >>had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    >>the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    >>shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
    >>
    >>Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    >>put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.
    >>

    > This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
    > to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
    > $180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
    > wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
    > aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
    > charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
    > people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
    > been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
    > crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
    > price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
    > transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
    > was convinced she'd done the right thing.
    >
    > I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
    > at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
    > the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
    > showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
    > "Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
    > I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
    > Christmas gift.

    Bizarre. I run my own small business & that is an amount I would
    definately notice.

  5. -L.

    -L. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    > today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    > had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    > the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    > shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
    >
    > Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    > put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

    I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
    me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
    it back.

    I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
    the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
    seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
    replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
    said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".

    The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
    don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
    it, ya know?

    -L.

  6. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
    > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
    > it, ya know?

    Yes that has happened to me too:( He gave me a 'look'. I wondered if it
    was because he would get into trouble if anyone else heard what he had done.
    It was in the Post Office.

  7. jay

    jay Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:

    > I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
    > me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
    > it back.

    Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

    > I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
    > the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
    > seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
    > replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
    > said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
    >
    > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
    > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
    > it, ya know?
    >
    > -L.

    Some people like to get recognition for their
    honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL

    I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

  8. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, jay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
    >
    >> I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
    >> me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
    >> it back.

    >Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

    I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
    local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
    already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
    in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
    in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)

    However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
    typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
    count the things every time!

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  9. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    Phred wrote:

    > I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
    > local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
    > already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
    > in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
    > in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)
    >
    > However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
    > typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
    > count the things every time!

    I remember Dad getting $20 more at the bank than he should have and
    when he pointed it out to the cashier she argued vehemently that she
    hadn't made a mistake. She got quite nasty about it even, so finally
    he just said "thank you" and left.

    The policy at our local Co-op is that you can cash a pay cheque or
    gov't cheque if you're a member and buy for at least 10% of its value.
    Not so long ago DH & I were waiting in the line-up as the woman ahead
    was getting her change. She'd paid with a substantial cheque and was
    getting back several hundreds in cash. The young cashier was counting
    out the change in twenties which the woman was sweeping into a pile.
    DH noticed that the cashier had miscounted by $100, which the woman HAD
    noticed and quickly added to the pile under her hand. He pointed it
    out to the cashier who recounted and put $100 back in her till. If
    looks could kill DH would have dropped dead from the glare he got from
    the client but the teenaged clerk was properly appreciative.

    Gabby

  10. jessiecarole

    jessiecarole Guest

    new here ~smile~ although I have lurked longtime

    You are doing the teller a service to count your money in front of her.
    If there is an error, it can be corrected. If you walk away and come
    back, she will have to report it, close down, and count her till.

    (I had macaroni and cheese for breakfast)

  11. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    jessiecarole wrote:
    > new here ~smile~ although I have lurked longtime
    >
    > You are doing the teller a service to count your money in front of her.
    > If there is an error, it can be corrected. If you walk away and come
    > back, she will have to report it, close down, and count her till.
    >
    > (I had macaroni and cheese for breakfast)

    Also her error rate goes into her record and could make her lose her
    job if it's too high. Mac and cheese for breakfast seems a bit extreme
    to me. I had a fried egg and some smoked salmon.

  12. -L.

    -L. Guest

    jay wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
    >

    > > I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
    > > me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
    > > it back.

    > Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

    Sure - it's not mine.

    Karma and all that...

    > > I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
    > > the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
    > > seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
    > > replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
    > > said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
    > >
    > > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
    > > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
    > > it, ya know?
    > >
    > > -L.

    > Some people like to get recognition for their
    > honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
    >
    > I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

    Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
    country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.

    -L.

  13. rosie

    rosie Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    > today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    > had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    > the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    > shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
    >
    > Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    > put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

    I always look and add, if I am undercharged I point it out, and if I
    am overcharged I do the same. I expect honesty and will be honest in my
    dealings.

    Rosie

  14. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:28:36 -0700, -L. wrote:

    > jay wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
    >>

    >> > I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
    >> > me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
    >> > it back.

    >> Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

    > Sure - it's not mine.
    >
    > Karma and all that...
    >

    >> > I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
    >> > the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
    >> > seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
    >> > replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
    >> > said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
    >> >
    >> > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
    >> > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
    >> > it, ya know?
    >> >
    >> > -L.

    >> Some people like to get recognition for their
    >> honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
    >>
    >> I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

    > Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
    > country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.
    >
    > -L.

    Why do you feel the need to brag about your honesty?
    Maybe you are too snarky to get please and thank you. LOL

  15. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:10:23 +0000, Phred wrote:

    > I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
    > local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
    > already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
    > in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
    > in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)
    >
    > However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
    > typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
    > count the things every time!
    >
    > Cheers, Phred.

    I count it too..and they do stand on one foot as if to say I GAVE YOU
    CORRECT CHANGE and you are questioning ME.

  16. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:28:36 -0700, -L. wrote:
    >

    >> jay wrote:

    >>> Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

    >> Sure - it's not mine.
    >>
    >> Karma and all that...

    >>> Some people like to get recognition for their
    >>> honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
    >>>
    >>> I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

    >> Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
    >> country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.
    >>
    >> -L.

    > Why do you feel the need to brag about your honesty?
    > Maybe you are too snarky to get please and thank you. LOL

    She didn't brag! A question was asked and she responded!

  17. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jay wrote:

    > I count it too..and they do stand on one foot as if to say I GAVE YOU
    > CORRECT CHANGE and you are questioning ME.

    Not the waitress at a bar where we used to go for Saturday afternoon blues
    jams. She was guaranteed to short change customers, and when she confronted
    she readily provided the extra change. It is a little disconcerting when
    you get your change and look for a suitable amount for a tip and realize
    that you have been short-changed, and not just a quarter or two but several
    dollars, and I was always amazed that she never had to stop and think about
    how much extra she owed me when confronted.

  18. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Denise~* wrote:
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
    > >>today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
    > >>had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
    > >>the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
    > >>shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
    > >>
    > >>Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
    > >>put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.
    > >>

    > > This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
    > > to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
    > > $180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
    > > wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
    > > aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
    > > charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
    > > people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
    > > been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
    > > crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
    > > price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
    > > transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
    > > was convinced she'd done the right thing.
    > >
    > > I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
    > > at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
    > > the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
    > > showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
    > > "Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
    > > I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
    > > Christmas gift.
    > >

    > Bizarre. I run my own small business & that is an amount I would
    > definately notice.

    Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
    'definitely' incorectly. And the apersand is for connecting proper
    nouns, otherwise it confuses... what kind of stupid expression is
    "business & that"?

    Sheldon

  19. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
    > 'definitely' incorectly. And the apersand is for connecting proper
    > nouns, otherwise it confuses... what kind of stupid expression is
    > "business & that"?

    Is an apersand anything like an ampersand? :)

  20. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
    > 'definitely' incorectly.

    Spelling flames are so lame . . . :)