Wrong change

One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.

Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
> today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
> had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
> the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
> shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
>
> Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
> put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
$180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
was convinced she'd done the right thing.

I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
"Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
Christmas gift.

[email protected] wrote:
>> One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked
>> me today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so,
>> what I had done about it.

If I notice it, I tell them about it. I guess you can tell that I have
never been undercharged a bundle as I used the words "if I notice". :)
However, the same principle would apply. I like to enjoy my sleep at night.

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Doug Kanter wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
>>today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
>>had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
>>the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
>>shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
>>
>>Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
>>put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.
>>

> This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
> to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
> $180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
> wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
> aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
> charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
> people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
> been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
> crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
> price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
> transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
> was convinced she'd done the right thing.
>
> I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
> at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
> the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
> showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
> "Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
> I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
> Christmas gift.

Bizarre. I run my own small business & that is an amount I would
definately notice.

[email protected] wrote:
> One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
> today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
> had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
> the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
> shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
>
> Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
> put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
it back.

I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".

The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
it, ya know?

-L.

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
> don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
> it, ya know?

Yes that has happened to me too:( He gave me a 'look'. I wondered if it
was because he would get into trouble if anyone else heard what he had done.
It was in the Post Office.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:

> I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
> me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
> it back.

Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

> I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
> the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
> seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
> replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
> said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
>
> The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
> don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
> it, ya know?
>
> -L.

Some people like to get recognition for their
honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL

I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

In article <[email protected]>, jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
>
>> I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
>> me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
>> it back.

>Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)

However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
count the things every time!

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

Phred wrote:

> I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
> local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
> already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
> in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
> in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)
>
> However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
> typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
> count the things every time!

I remember Dad getting $20 more at the bank than he should have and
when he pointed it out to the cashier she argued vehemently that she
hadn't made a mistake. She got quite nasty about it even, so finally
he just said "thank you" and left.

The policy at our local Co-op is that you can cash a pay cheque or
gov't cheque if you're a member and buy for at least 10% of its value.
Not so long ago DH & I were waiting in the line-up as the woman ahead
was getting her change. She'd paid with a substantial cheque and was
getting back several hundreds in cash. The young cashier was counting
out the change in twenties which the woman was sweeping into a pile.
DH noticed that the cashier had miscounted by $100, which the woman HAD
noticed and quickly added to the pile under her hand. He pointed it
out to the cashier who recounted and put $100 back in her till. If
looks could kill DH would have dropped dead from the glare he got from
the client but the teenaged clerk was properly appreciative.

Gabby

new here ~smile~ although I have lurked longtime

You are doing the teller a service to count your money in front of her.
If there is an error, it can be corrected. If you walk away and come
back, she will have to report it, close down, and count her till.

(I had macaroni and cheese for breakfast)

jessiecarole wrote:
> new here ~smile~ although I have lurked longtime
>
> You are doing the teller a service to count your money in front of her.
> If there is an error, it can be corrected. If you walk away and come
> back, she will have to report it, close down, and count her till.
>
> (I had macaroni and cheese for breakfast)

Also her error rate goes into her record and could make her lose her
job if it's too high. Mac and cheese for breakfast seems a bit extreme
to me. I had a fried egg and some smoked salmon.

jay wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
>

> > I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
> > me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
> > it back.

> Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

Sure - it's not mine.

Karma and all that...

> > I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
> > the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
> > seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
> > replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
> > said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
> >
> > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
> > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
> > it, ya know?
> >
> > -L.

> Some people like to get recognition for their
> honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
>
> I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.

-L.

[email protected] wrote:
> One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
> today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
> had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
> the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
> shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
>
> Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
> put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.

I always look and add, if I am undercharged I point it out, and if I
am overcharged I do the same. I expect honesty and will be honest in my
dealings.

Rosie

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:28:36 -0700, -L. wrote:

> jay wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:16:53 -0700, -L. wrote:
>>

>> > I always give the money back. I once had a guy at the post office hand
>> > me a $20 in a stack of ones. He about pooped his pants when I handed
>> > it back.

>> Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

> Sure - it's not mine.
>
> Karma and all that...
>

>> > I once also thought we had gotten home without a bottle of wine, which
>> > the store replaced for free. I found the original bottle under my car
>> > seat the next day (had looked twice before!), so returned the
>> > replacement bottle. The store manager about flipped out because he
>> > said he "couldn't believe I was so honest".
>> >
>> > The only thing I find annoying is when you give the money back and they
>> > don't say "thank you". I mean, they could at least be courteous about
>> > it, ya know?
>> >
>> > -L.

>> Some people like to get recognition for their
>> honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
>>
>> I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

> Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
> country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.
>
> -L.

Why do you feel the need to brag about your honesty?
Maybe you are too snarky to get please and thank you. LOL

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:10:23 +0000, Phred wrote:

> I always count the notes when I get cash over the counter at the
> local bank. Given that the bank jilly [johnies are extinct here] has
> already counted it out of the drawer, and then again onto the counter
> in front of me, I do feel I'm showing something less than confidence
> in their ability with numbers. And they do look a bit annoyed. :)
>
> However, one day I found an extra $50 in the pile ("pile" = 8
> typically) and gave it back. So bugger the critical looks, I still
> count the things every time!
>
> Cheers, Phred.

I count it too..and they do stand on one foot as if to say I GAVE YOU
CORRECT CHANGE and you are questioning ME.

"jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:28:36 -0700, -L. wrote:
>

>> jay wrote:

>>> Would you have given it back if it was an extra 1000?

>> Sure - it's not mine.
>>
>> Karma and all that...

>>> Some people like to get recognition for their
>>> honesty. I mean "look at me, I am SO honest. LOL
>>>
>>> I know you are different.. just plain ole honest.

>> Then why make the snarky remark? Common courtesy has left this
>> country. It's a wonder if you get a please and thank you anymore.
>>
>> -L.

> Why do you feel the need to brag about your honesty?
> Maybe you are too snarky to get please and thank you. LOL

She didn't brag! A question was asked and she responded!

jay wrote:

> I count it too..and they do stand on one foot as if to say I GAVE YOU
> CORRECT CHANGE and you are questioning ME.

Not the waitress at a bar where we used to go for Saturday afternoon blues
jams. She was guaranteed to short change customers, and when she confronted
she readily provided the extra change. It is a little disconcerting when
you get your change and look for a suitable amount for a tip and realize
that you have been short-changed, and not just a quarter or two but several
dollars, and I was always amazed that she never had to stop and think about
how much extra she owed me when confronted.

Denise~* wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>One of my sons (who works as a waiter to support his studies) asked me
> >>today if I had ever been "undercharged" for anything and if so, what I
> >>had done about it. I had to admit I usually looked at the person across
> >>the counter and decided he/she would probably be blamed for the
> >>shortfall at the end of the day, so I would point out the error.
> >>
> >>Seems he'd been undercharged by quite a lot of dollars for a meal so he
> >>put the windfall in the tips jar on the counter.
> >>

> > This gets interesting sometimes. Last December, I called a local music store
> > to discuss a certain electronic thing for my son. The owner quoted me
> > $180.00, a nice price on this thing. When I got to the store, the owner
> > wasn't there and couldn't be reached. The lady running the place was not
> > aware of the low price I'd been quoted. She asked if it would be OK to
> > charge me the normal $200.00, and issue a credit later. Since I know these
> > people well, I agreed. She called later that day and said the credit had
> > been issued. She mailed me the Visa slip, but I noticed that instead of
> > crediting me the $20.00+tax difference, she'd credited the entire purchase
> > price. I called and asked if she intended to replace the original
> > transaction with another for $180.00 + tax. To make a long story short, she
> > was convinced she'd done the right thing.
> >
> > I kept all the paperwork, figuring the owner would catch up with the mistake
> > at some point. A month later, when I got my Visa bill, there was no sign of
> > the store having eventually charged me the right amount. So, I stopped in,
> > showed the owner all the little slips, as well as the Visa bill, and said
> > "Look - I owe you $180.00!" He disagreed. Several times, in fact. I gave up.
> > I'm certainly not this guy's biggest customer, so I doubt he was giving me a
> > Christmas gift.
> >

> Bizarre. I run my own small business & that is an amount I would
> definately notice.

Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
'definitely' incorectly. And the apersand is for connecting proper
nouns, otherwise it confuses... what kind of stupid expression is
"business & that"?

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:

> Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
> 'definitely' incorectly. And the apersand is for connecting proper
> nouns, otherwise it confuses... what kind of stupid expression is
> "business & that"?

Is an apersand anything like an ampersand? :)

Sheldon wrote:

> Nope, you'd no more notice that amount than that you spelled
> 'definitely' incorectly.

Spelling flames are so lame . . . :)