Wrong Size written on tire?? Wow bike finally works properly

Matthew Suffidy

Guest
I have a Trek 800, a Peugot UO-8, and some cheese bike I go to work with. I never ever was able to
get past like 4 days of the tire being inflated, but things are working properly now, and the
following factors may have caused the change *Removal of the bikes from a little black topped shed
on hot days. It seemed disaster always struck after sunny summer days. Possibly heat weakened the
rubber, and expanded the tube *Sanding of any little nicks off of the rims. I suspected the nicks
may sort of poke the tire into weak areas as I am heavy, but not too too heavy, and the tire
generally deforms as the wheels turn. *Possible sabotage (yet other data suggests otherwise). The
UO-8 was fine for a long time until I changed the tires and tubes then it was the same, and the
original tubes were like 5 times thicker

I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
Typo or what?

Matthew Suffidy

e-mail: [email protected]

http: http://www.matthew.chungus.com

"Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| I have a Trek 800, a Peugot UO-8, and some cheese bike I go to work with. I never ever was able to
| get past like 4 days of the tire being inflated, but things are working properly now, and the
| following factors may have caused the change *Removal of the bikes from a little black topped shed
| on hot days. It seemed disaster always struck after sunny summer days. Possibly heat weakened the
| rubber, and expanded the tube *Sanding of any little nicks off of the rims. I suspected the nicks
| may sort of poke the tire into weak areas as I am heavy, but not too too heavy, and the tire
| generally deforms as the wheels turn. *Possible sabotage (yet other data suggests otherwise). The
| UO-8 was fine for a long time until I changed the tires and tubes then it was the same, and the
| original tubes were like 5 times thicker
|
| I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
| tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
| Typo or what?

No, it was not a typo. Look for the other sizing numbers on those tires for a clue.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 6/5/2003

Matthew Suffidy <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> I have a Trek 800, a Peugot UO-8, and some cheese bike I go to work with. I never ever was able to
> get past like 4 days of the tire being inflated, but things are working properly now, and the
> following factors may have caused the change *Removal of the bikes from a little black topped shed
> on hot days. It seemed disaster always struck after sunny summer days. Possibly heat weakened the
> rubber, and expanded the tube *Sanding of any little nicks off of the rims. I suspected the nicks
> may sort of poke the tire into weak areas as I am heavy, but not too too heavy, and the tire
> generally deforms as the wheels turn. *Possible sabotage (yet other data suggests otherwise). The
> UO-8 was fine for a long time until I changed the tires and tubes then it was the same, and the
> original tubes were like 5 times thicker

if the tube rubber is thinner, there is a chance they used some cheap valves, just MO.

> I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
> tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
> Typo or what?

IME, tires stored or shipped flat get flattened a little. the sizes don't generally go that wrong,
stick a tube in it and inflate it. they will expand into shape. may be a good idea to lay them in
the sun for a little while (or in said hot shed) to soften them up a little.

Just happened to think, are you talking too small in rim width, or too small in diameter? if it is
the former, they should work still like stated before. if the later is true, i'm not sure, never
happened to me. perhaps when the tube inflates into the tire it will expand the sidewall and pull
the bead up into place.
--
~Travis

"Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
> tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
> Typo or what?

Those tire sizes aren't interchangeable. 16x1 3/8 is either ISO 597mm or 590mm. The other is
standard MTB 26", which is ISO 559mm. The 26" part doesn't refer to the inside diameter (don't
ask--the old standards make no sense at all), but I think the ISO number does.

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
> > tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
> > Typo or what?
>
> Those tire sizes aren't interchangeable. 16x1 3/8 is either ISO 597mm or 590mm.
Oops, meant to say 26 x 1 3/8

"David" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
>> tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
>> Typo or what?
>
>Those tire sizes aren't interchangeable. 26x1 3/8 is either ISO 597mm or 590mm. The other is
>standard MTB 26", which is ISO 559mm. The 26" part doesn't refer to the inside diameter (don't
>ask--the old standards make no sense at all), but I think the ISO number does.

Dave's right (I corrected his typo above). When you see a tire size in a fractional format (26 x
1-3/8" for example), you can be pretty sure it's not an ISO 559mm tire. The tire you bought would
fit on a lot of cruisers and balloon tire bombers.

> "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The
> > > new tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what
> > > up? Typo or what?
> >
> > Those tire sizes aren't interchangeable. 16x1 3/8 is either ISO 597mm or 590mm.
> Oops, meant to say 26 x 1 3/8

Side note: they are impossible to get anymore, at least around here.
--
_________________________

> "David" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Matthew Suffidy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >> I was trying to replace the cheese bike's cracking tires today. They said IRC 26x1 3/8. The new
> >> tires, 26x1.5s seem too small and I suspect they can not be forced on to the rims. So what up?
> >> Typo or what?
> >
> >Those tire sizes aren't interchangeable. 26x1 3/8 is either ISO 597mm or
590mm.
> >The other is standard MTB 26", which is ISO 559mm. The 26" part doesn't
refer to
> >the inside diameter (don't ask--the old standards make no sense at all),
but I think
> >the ISO number does.
>
> Dave's right (I corrected his typo above). When you see a tire size in a fractional format (26 x
> 1-3/8" for example), you can be pretty sure it's not an ISO 559mm tire. The tire you bought would
> fit on a lot of cruisers and balloon tire bombers.

Do you find that difficult to work into conversation at dinner parties?

;-)

Andy Chequer didn't know that.