wrong strategy by team SKY ?

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
spectacular stage today on the Angliru, with no more TT to come i was thinking that Froome could have responded to Cobo's attack immediately instead of nursing Wiggings chances, he certainly looked as strong as Cobo. Now both Sky riders are behind Cobo ! Sometimes responding to an attack has a timing factor as well as an effort factor, lets see what the post - race interviews elucidate on Sky's tactics today.

A very challenging stage today. I also wonder if Sky had the right tactic given that Froome did appear stronger than Wiggins.

He was a ways back at the end of the race because he got dropped on the very steep climb.

The guy is sitting third in a grand tour. Team is sitting 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think there are very many ex-pros here. Even fewer who have ridden tour stages at pro racing efforts.

I have not seen any mistakes by the top 10 riders. (I only get to watch the internet feeds.)

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

The guy is sitting third in a grand tour. Team is sitting 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think there are very many ex-pros here. Even fewer who have ridden tour stages at pro racing efforts.

I have not seen any mistakes by the top 10 riders. (I only get to watch the internet feeds.)
Zoom. Know what that is? That's the point we're making going way over your head.

It was evident that Froome was stronger than Wiggans, yet Froome was held back to be Wiggan's support man. Had they instead let Froome go, it's possible the team would still have a rider in first place.

You don't need to be a pro to see that.

After Wednesday's stage, it's looking to me like Froome could have won the race had he not been held back to look after Wiggins. What a disappointment for him.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

After Wednesday's stage, it's looking to me like Froome could have won the race had he not been held back to look after Wiggins. What a disappointment for him.
In hindsight, Sky would have done some things differently on the Angliru. Wiggins looked fantastic up until that stage, so I can understand Sky's tactics. I don't think anyone could have predicted Froome's performance in the Vuelta. There are always surprise performances in any grand tour, such as Cobo. But Froome's performance goes beyond that. He has come out of obscurity.

I think Froome still has a chance to win this race. There might not be any stages left where Sky can crack/drop Cobo, but picking up a few seconds with time bonuses isn't out of the question.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Zoom. Know what that is? That's the point we're making going way over your head.

It was evident that Froome was stronger than Wiggans, yet Froome was held back to be Wiggan's support man. Had they instead let Froome go, it's possible the team would still have a rider in first place.

You don't need to be a pro to see that.
But not being being a pro leads you to the wrong analysis and wrong conclusion.

Hear is another basis for a wrong analysis: It appears that the top finishers had different low gear ratios. (I am sure you can do an equally wrong analysis based on that.)

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

But not being being a pro leads you to the wrong analysis and wrong conclusion.

Hear is another basis for a wrong analysis: It appears that the top finishers had different low gear ratios. (I am sure you can do an equally wrong analysis based on that.)

Still don't get it I see.