WSD vs Men's bikes

lleenn

Jun 12, 2004
I’m new to cycling and I’ve been riding an old road bike borrowed from a friend for a couple of months. I’ve enjoyed riding so much that I think it’s about time I got a bike of my own. My question for you is how many of you ride a wsd? Is there that much difference between a wsd and a regular bike? I am only 5 feet with an inseam 29in. I’m going to a bike shop tomorrow to get properly fitted, but I wanted some feedback before I went.

I’ve talked to a couple of guys at the shop and they seem to think there really isn’t too much difference between the 2. I don’t know if they’re saying that because they don’t have any wsd’s for me to test in the store and they would have to order it. Either way I’d love your input. Thanks in advance.

-Len

Originally posted by lleenn
I’m new to cycling and I’ve been riding an old road bike borrowed from a friend for a couple of months. I’ve enjoyed riding so much that I think it’s about time I got a bike of my own. My question for you is how many of you ride a wsd? Is there that much difference between a wsd and a regular bike? I am only 5 feet with an inseam 29in. I’m going to a bike shop tomorrow to get properly fitted, but I wanted some feedback before I went.

I’ve talked to a couple of guys at the shop and they seem to think there really isn’t too much difference between the 2. I don’t know if they’re saying that because they don’t have any wsd’s for me to test in the store and they would have to order it. Either way I’d love your input. Thanks in advance.

-Len

I don't know, I'm a man :p

I don't ride a wsd. I have a long torso.
But, at your height, you'd need shorter cranks. also, the wsd models have brakes that are eaiser to reach, which is a feature that is nice to have. The main difference, often is the lenght of the toptube in relation to the seat tube. also the most popular color for wsd models are periwinkle blue, which I personally find disgusting. perwinkle is a nice color for a bedroom or bathroom, but on a bike...it looks slow, much like how red cars and bikes look fast.

so, wsd models have pros and cons, it all depends on your body type and what you like! :)

But, if your bike shop insists that you need something you don't want, you may need to find a new shop.

there are two in my town, the first one that I went to steered me away from road racing bikes-- that they only had one or two of-- which is what I wanted, and towards a hybrid. I ended up not liking the hybrid and selling it to my mom to get a entry level racing bike--what I really wanted, at the other bike shop in town.
so, get what you like, and want, and can afford (that last one is the hardest, after a while!:D ) Good Luck!

Hi Len,
First off, welcome to cycling forums. I am a short rider (just under 5'3")and have the same inseam as you. Good bikes for women our size: terry cycles (georgeanna terry, the founder is barely 5 ft tall and started to make frames, handlbars, etc. to fit smaller riders); bianchi-a few women I ride with are thrilled w/their bianchi. If you're like me, you will need handlebars w/a shallow reach and drop (found on bianchi and terry, not sure of other brands). My suggestion is to get a steel frame bike if you can. At our size aluminum has a harsh ride even w/carbon seatpost and fork (believe me...I tried!)

with all that said....go to a bike shop that will listen to you, measure you-not just your inseam but your thigh, arm length etc. You may have to pay for this-some shops will give you a deal on a pro-fit if you buy a bike from them.
test ride wsd and traditional frames. DO NOT shop at a bike shop that disregards your opinion....I've been both a consumer and an employee at bike shops-the average sized person does not have to think about handlebars w/a shorter reach and drop...for some women-WSD bicycles have made all the difference.

Hope this was helpful...if you need clarification-let me know! I rambled quite a bit!

Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and ordered a Trek 1500 WSD 47” frame from my bike shop. They had a 51” WSD and I test rode it and I loved it… just a little big, but other than that perfect. So I’m gonna try the 47” and see if rides just a little better. I did try a lot of the ‘men’s bikes’ and didn’t feel as good in them as the WSD’s. The shorter frame was a great plus on the wsd.

-Len

that's great! the trek 1500 wsd I also heard good things about, on this forum, as a matter of fact. keep me posted as to how the 47cm feels. I ride a 49cm but it's not wsd (I have a longer torso and my bike has a 50cm top tube w/115 stem!).

Stella-

I will let you know how the 47” feels as soon as I get the bike. I’m really excited… I think I’m gonna love it. Thanks again for all the help.

-Len

HI,

I just bought a Trek 5200 WSD bike the first part of April and have ridden it about 1200 miles. I LOVE IT!!! I had been riding a custom Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel bike previous to this, and I thought it too was the very best bike. It wasn't a WSD bike, but it did have a shorter top tube. the IF bike is a Renyolds 853 light-weight steel, and the Trek is Carbon Fiber. The Carbon Fiber is so LIGHT!! The only thing I don't like about my Trek WSD bike is the color. Black with some grey/silver. I love the gorgeous blue of my IF bike. Oh well, the WSD Trek is so comfortable and speedy I'm accepting the color. I'm 5'4 with 30" inseam. I rode my IF bike 2,776 miles across the USA coast to coast in 2001, and it too was very comfortable because I had a terrific bicycle shop who knows how to fit you correctly on a bike. That is the NUMBER ONE thing, getting the right fit by people who KNOW how to fit roadies.
Sara

i just bought a specialized dolce elite. i tried some other bikes.. but i have longer legs and shorter torso.. so the WSD was a much better fit.. i'm riding the 51 and i'm 5'2"

i like that the brakes are closer/smaller and the handle bars narrower (although a few of the men's bikes i tried for size had narrower handles bars.

i actually like the color of my bike.. the comp was nice too.. lighter almost silver (they call it dream) but i couldn't justify the extra money on top of all the accessories i needed and wanted for a first bike. heck.. if they had had the sport model (the 699 version) in my size.. i probably would have left the store with that!

Originally posted by SaraBikes
HI,

I just bought a Trek 5200 WSD bike the first part of April and have ridden it about 1200 miles. I LOVE IT!!! I had been riding a custom Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel bike previous to this, and I thought it too was the very best bike. It wasn't a WSD bike, but it did have a shorter top tube. the IF bike is a Renyolds 853 light-weight steel, and the Trek is Carbon Fiber. The Carbon Fiber is so LIGHT!! The only thing I don't like about my Trek WSD bike is the color. Black with some grey/silver. I love the gorgeous blue of my IF bike.
Sara
I think you could have ordered a special paint job on your trek. I was looking at some dream bikes online, and noticed that trek had a program to "custom" paint their high-end bikes. and I agree that the gray paint job isn't the most stunning. :)

Originally posted by mingcat9
I think you could have ordered a special paint job on your trek. I was looking at some dream bikes online, and noticed that trek had a program to "custom" paint their high-end bikes. and I agree that the gray paint job isn't the most stunning. :)

Thanks for the input. I go on quite a few organized bike events and often the Trek manufacture is there with a van of all their bikes and company reps to answer any questions. I'll ask them next time about having my 5200 painted sometime and what that would entail.
Sara

Originally posted by lleenn
Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and ordered a Trek 1500 WSD 47� frame from my bike shop. They had a 51� WSD and I test rode it and I loved it� just a little big, but other than that perfect. So I�m gonna try the 47� and see if rides just a little better. I did try a lot of the �men�s bikes� and didn�t feel as good in them as the WSD�s. The shorter frame was a great plus on the wsd.

-Len

thats great!! i got a 1500WSD too, and it fits like a glove. one thing that worked for me was the fact that i'm kind of narrow shouldered, and i noticed that on the men's bike my arms were spread kinda too wide apart. plus the seat felt amazing, and instead of being either scrunched in the torso with good leg extension or scrunched in the legs with good torso position, i got the best of both!

i tried the specialized dolce elite and liked that one too, but it was not enough better than the trek to warrant the extra 200 bucks.

lisazapato said:
thats great!! i got a 1500WSD too, and it fits like a glove. one thing that worked for me was the fact that i'm kind of narrow shouldered, and i noticed that on the men's bike my arms were spread kinda too wide apart. plus the seat felt amazing, and instead of being either scrunched in the torso with good leg extension or scrunched in the legs with good torso position, i got the best of both!

i tried the specialized dolce elite and liked that one too, but it was not enough better than the trek to warrant the extra 200 bucks.

I also have a trek 2300WSD its a 51cm frame. I would like to ask the question about the wheels, do you have 650 or 700 wheels because I am thinking of getting a new bike made up for me with 700 wheels. I feel left out when I ride with a group and they all have bigger wheels and it makes me feel that they can cycle faster up hill. what is your view on this for all you girls out there with 650 wheels

The only time I feel "left out" is when I know in my bag I'm carrying a 650cm tire tube and if I have a flat, and god forbid two flats, all my riding buddies can't loan me one of their 700cm tubes! I too thought that the smaller wheels would make a difference on the climbs -- but to my surprise I find that my climbing has much improved and I'm zooming past riders now that before riding this bike I was being dropped on the hills. I'm really pleased with how much more power I have riding a bike that "fits" me perfectly. I know this has contributed to my better riding skills, strength and pedal power transfer to my legs.
Sara

SaraBikes said:
The only time I feel "left out" is when I know in my bag I'm carrying a 650cm tire tube and if I have a flat, and god forbid two flats, all my riding buddies can't loan me one of their 700cm tubes! I too thought that the smaller wheels would make a difference on the climbs -- but to my surprise I find that my climbing has much improved and I'm zooming past riders now that before riding this bike I was being dropped on the hills. I'm really pleased with how much more power I have riding a bike that "fits" me perfectly. I know this has contributed to my better riding skills, strength and pedal power transfer to my legs.
Sara

Hi Sara, its nice to hear from someone who understands my situation. You have reassured me. I have improved and my speed has picked up about 3km per/hr faster. Like you I had it meassured up to me and my pedal power is better. I have been riding my bike for two years but about 8months ago I had modified to suite me and the handle bars changed because I have wide soulders the stem is shorter and aerobars closer to me. I will compete in half ironman this weekend it will be my first. ( midlife crisis at 43) :eek:

lleenn said:
....My question for you is how many of you ride a wsd? Is there that much difference between a wsd and a regular bike? I am only 5 feet with an inseam 29in. ...
I’ve talked to a couple of guys at the shop and they seem to think there really isn’t too much difference between the 2. I don’t know if they’re saying that because they don’t have any wsd’s for me to test in the store and they would have to order it.

True and true.
The WSD logo means different things for different manufacturers, but typically, it means:
1. a small-frame bike with maybe a shorter top tube for its size;
2. narrower handlebars (38-41 cm, as opposed to 42-44 cm centre-centre);
3. on some models, shorter cranks;
4. on some models, brakes with a shorter reach;
5. a "girlie" colour.

Point 5 is entirely a question of taste, so I leave it out.
Point 1 depends as much on the brand and model design as it depends on the WSD logo. And to a point, a shorter stem may compensate for a longer top tube.
Point 2: handlebars and brake levers can be changed fairly easily by the bike shop if that's a problem for you.
Point 3: Cranks can also be changed by the bike shop, though it takes more time and might cost money. With 29 inch inseam, you probably need 160-165 mm cranks, 170 mm cranks at the most.

The overall point is that there are smallish WSD frames which come de facto with wide handlebars and 175-mm cranks... a nonsense IMHO. So you should rather look at the specs themselves than at the WSD logo.

I went to one lbs, and tried the Fuji. They showed me the Fuji Ace, told me it was a WSD, and didn't do much except adjust the seat. I felt like I was ready to fall on my face! I didn't realize until later from the internet, that it wasn't a WSD at all, and the top tube was too long for my shorter torso 5'1" body! Tried a Trek lbs...they had the 1500 and I still have to go back and try it on the road, I just tried it on the track - but it felt great! But I was hesitant because the seat was really uncomfortable (they would trade it out) and the 650 tires...the I went to another lbs, where I had gotten my wellworn Specialized Hybrid Crossroads. The young guy, who happened to be the owner, really spent time, fitting me to the bike, a Dolce Elite , just on the track! Measured me, adjusted things for me (being a handsome young man with a winning smile helped too) and when I took it out, ZOOM ZOOM!! It was soo fun! And it has the 700 wheels, is the 2004 at 10% off. I'm soooo tempted. I had expected to try out the Sport, as I had saved about $700. This will be about $450 more.

I'm investing in my health, right?

overthere

the moral of this story is to get a bike fit done and get the bike built for you by an exprienced person. If you live in Sydney try Steve Hogg(pedel pushers) who who has built and meassured world champs to their bike. Improve speed and most of all comfort.
Dont waste your time buying a bike off the shelf.

PS my first half ironman was great and looking forward to enother one soon.

I build my own for budgetary reasons (and I'm a scavenger for parts:eek:) but they always come out almost the same sizing as my bf's rides. I can ride his 20" inch mountain bike and its only a little stretchy to the bars, but my frame is a 17.5 and 19. Joys of being 5'8 and long inseam. My race bike is really not that far off from the stock standard Giant XTC. The only thing I do is change the seat and the stem.
Terry liberator race, and a 60mm handlebar stem(which is nice for trail handling too). I also ride 175mm cranks(probbably odd):rolleyes: