WSD vs Men's bikes

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by lleenn, Jun 14, 2004.

1. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

Congrats! You got one great bicycle! As far as the saddle--it is personal choice. If the stock one is comfortable--stick w/it. why buy a saddle if you don't need to? have you ridden yet?

2. new2bikes

new2bikes Banned

I finally got it this past Friday (had to wait for all the rain in my area to stop), and I rode it everyday for the next four days. It was really windy on Saturday, and my LBS guy said he looked outside and knew no one would be out riding except me. Now I'm on vacation so I won't be able to ride again 'til next week. But I'm happy with my choice. Am having a little difficulty shifting the front rings - chain came off twice. I'll bring it in next week to see if it's me or the bike.

3. sigurdd50

sigurdd50 New Member

I assisted my girlfriend in her quest for a WSD bike
    she is 4'9+" tall
    She tried the Cannondale 8000 (?) in a small size, but felt out of control
    An LBS pitched a Specialized Dolce at her, but it seemed too stretched out.
    By chance she went to Willy Street BIkes during a sale and found a Trek 1500 WSD in a 43CM frame size! Whoa! It fit her like a glove and was on sale for around $700! Beautiful bike, 650CM wheels, nicely appointed. She feels in control (except for the clipless pedals which are a work in progress.

4. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

that's great! tell her welcome to the cycling community! what type of clipless does she have?

5. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

good idea--I wish I had more technical knowledge to pass on to you re: the front rings. the time I ran into that--it was simply my front derallieur (sp?) was a little out of wack. I just got my bike back from the shop from it's yearly check up. Unfortunately--we're getting rain this w/e. Oh well...Congrats on your bike--sounds like you got a good deal!

6. sigurdd50

sigurdd50 New Member

she is using SPD's not sure of the exact model... shimano I think.
    Her previous biking experience is strictly basic stuff and a MTN bike with NO clips on the pedals, so being clipped in is a NEW thing. I sprang for FROGS, and I am digging them. She is determined to get used to them, so onward we go