WTB: bike seat/shorts

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by CygnusX-1, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. CygnusX-1

    CygnusX-1 Guest

    I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males? What
    about shorts? Note that I don't want the spandex type. What prices should
    I expect to pay? TIA

    Cygnus
    The Bringer of Balance

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    6 Sep 2004 20:55:12 -0700,
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (CygnusX-1) wrote:

    >I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    >seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males?

    Toilets have seats.

    Bicycles have saddles.
    --
    zk

  3. R Kroeger

    R Kroeger Guest

    Why is my saddle on my seatpost? ;)

  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    > seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males? What
    > about shorts? Note that I don't want the spandex type. What prices should
    > I expect to pay? TIA
    >
    > Cygnus
    > The Bringer of Balance

    I suggest you go to some online cycling stores and look through their
    offerings. In this way, you can get info as to what is popular--because in
    cycling form follows function to a great degree. Also, some of the cycling
    magazines will rate different shorts. try mountain bike review for that.
    http://www.mtbr.com/

    Pat in TX

  5. Fred Hall

    Fred Hall Guest

  6. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Cygnus wrote:
    > I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    > seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males? What
    > about shorts? Note that I don't want the spandex type. What prices should
    > I expect to pay? TIA

    Check at your LBS, and the on-line mail order places. It might run
    $100 to get you comfortable, as rear-end support systems are largely
    trial & error.
    Good luck, and ignore the snide remarks; usually they are more
    helpful!
    --Karen M.

  7. On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:55:15 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >6 Sep 2004 20:55:12 -0700,
    ><[email protected]>,
    >[email protected] (CygnusX-1) wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    >>seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males?

    >Toilets have seats.
    >
    >Bicycles have saddles.

    And people who ride bicycles wearing stirrups fix a lot of punctured
    rear tires.

  8. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:15:40 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:55:15 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>6 Sep 2004 20:55:12 -0700,
    >><[email protected]>,
    >>[email protected] (CygnusX-1) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    >>>seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males?

    >>Toilets have seats.
    >>
    >>Bicycles have saddles.

    >And people who ride bicycles wearing stirrups fix a lot of punctured
    >rear tires.

    What would spur you on to posit that?

    -B

  9. "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:15:40 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:55:15 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
    > >wrote:

    > >And people who ride bicycles wearing stirrups fix a lot of punctured
    > >rear tires.

    > What would spur you on to posit that?

    Badger, quit horsing around!

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  10. Muttley

    Muttley Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:20:09 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:15:40 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:55:15 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
    >> >wrote:

    >> >And people who ride bicycles wearing stirrups fix a lot of punctured
    >> >rear tires.

    >> What would spur you on to posit that?

    >Badger, quit horsing around!

    I'm tempted to tack another pun onto this.

    And add a rider that there shouldn't be any more.

    But I bridle at the negative reaction I might get.

    Wouldn't want to get saddled with a reputation as a compulsive punster.

  11. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    "Muttley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm tempted to tack another pun onto this.
    >
    > And add a rider that there shouldn't be any more.
    >
    > But I bridle at the negative reaction I might get.
    >
    > Wouldn't want to get saddled with a reputation as a compulsive punster.

    No...you'll just have to be satisfied with horse's ass. 8^)

    Dave...Sorry, couldn't resist

  12. Darin McGrew

    Darin McGrew Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> What would spur you on to posit that?

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Badger, quit horsing around!

    Muttley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm tempted to tack another pun onto this.
    >
    > And add a rider that there shouldn't be any more.
    >
    > But I bridle at the negative reaction I might get.
    >
    > Wouldn't want to get saddled with a reputation as a compulsive punster.

    Neigh, we wouldn't want to tarnish our reputations as stable netizens by
    giving full rein to such puns.
    --
    Darin McGrew, [email protected], http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
    Web Design Group, [email protected], http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

    "Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance."

  13. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "CygnusX-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    > seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males? What
    > about shorts? Note that I don't want the spandex type. What prices should
    > I expect to pay? TIA

    Before changing the seat, make sure yours is properly adjusted. There are
    several articles on the web explaining the optimal position. You should
    start from there and fine tune it to your needs. I own a Giant Rincon, which
    is about the same price as your Trek, and I like its saddle.
    As for the shorts, so far, the spandex type are the most comfortable ones I
    have owned. They don't have the cool look of mountain bike shorts, but
    they're comfy.

  14. cheg

    cheg Guest

    "CygnusX-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike. When riding it for long distances, its
    > seat can get uncomfortable. What seat do you recommend for males? What
    > about shorts? Note that I don't want the spandex type. What prices should
    > I expect to pay? TIA
    >
    > Cygnus
    > The Bringer of Balance

    There is a company called Andiamo that makes padded undershorts and padded
    "skins" that look like very light cycling shorts. You can wear them under
    anything you like to wear to reduce butt pain while riding.. The skins also work
    by themselves in fair weather. They cost about $25. They are not shiny.

    For seats, I like the Velo VL-6031 saddle with a slot down the middle and
    elastomer suspension under the seat rails. They are used on some comfort bikes
    and hybrids. I've ridden up to a double century on one without suffering, not
    from the seat anyway. I don't know what they cost. I get them for free from a
    local Giant dealer because many people take them off when they buy a new bike.
    But as is often said, a saddle is a personal thing. What I like may be terrible
    for you. Try to find a shop that does one or two day loans of saddles to try out
    some different styles.

    http://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/international.html

  15. On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:12:13 +0000 (UTC), Darin McGrew
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Badger, quit horsing around!

    >Muttley <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'm tempted to tack another pun onto this.
    >>
    >> And add a rider that there shouldn't be any more.
    >>
    >> But I bridle at the negative reaction I might get.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't want to get saddled with a reputation as a compulsive punster.

    >Neigh, we wouldn't want to tarnish our reputations as stable netizens by
    >giving full rein to such puns.

    This thread has become a night mare.