WTB: cheap standard mountainbike wheel

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dmitri Colebatch, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. I had the pleasure of having a car back into me as I was riding passed
    not too long ago and I am now down one wheel (at the time I didn't
    realise how bad the buckle was and didn't bother getting details - my
    bad). Anyway, my wife wants the wheel I pinched from her mountain bike
    back so I need to source one for myself but don't really want to spent
    $100 on a newie.

    Anyone got any tips?

    cheers
    dim

    Tags:

  2. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

  3. Jay Woo wrote:
    > Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    > you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    > (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

  4. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
    > Jay Woo wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    >> you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    >> (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    > yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    > won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

    assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
    the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...

    start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

    more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html

    cheers,
    Kim

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
    >
    >> Jay Woo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    >>> you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    >>> (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    >> yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    >> won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

    > assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
    > the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...
    >
    > start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
    >
    > more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html
    >
    > cheers,
    > Kim

    That would work. Hell I will even loan you a spoke key.

  6. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004

    I went through this myself last year when I taco-ed my front in a race. If you're looking to spend less than $100 then you're probably going to be confined to second-hand - which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

    Check ebay - there's occasionally reasonable things going through there. Or if you've got a second-hand bike place around anywhere...If you're Melbourne based, try Bicycle Recycle. If you're willing to give wheel building a go then a decent rim can be had for about $70 or so, but then there's spokes, etc...