WTB: cheap standard mountainbike wheel

Dmitri Colebatch

Guest
I had the pleasure of having a car back into me as I was riding passed
not too long ago and I am now down one wheel (at the time I didn't
realise how bad the buckle was and didn't bother getting details - my
bad). Anyway, my wife wants the wheel I pinched from her mountain bike
back so I need to source one for myself but don't really want to spent
$100 on a newie.

Anyone got any tips?

cheers
dim

Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
(see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

Jay Woo wrote:
> Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
> you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
> (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
> Jay Woo wrote:
>
>> Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
>> you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
>> (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

> yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
> won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...

start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html

cheers,
Kim

Kim wrote:
> Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
>
>> Jay Woo wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
>>> you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
>>> (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

>> yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
>> won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

> assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
> the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...
>
> start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
>
> more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html
>
> cheers,
> Kim

That would work. Hell I will even loan you a spoke key.

Dmitri Colebatch said:
I had the pleasure of having a car back into me as I was riding passed
not too long ago and I am now down one wheel (at the time I didn't
realise how bad the buckle was and didn't bother getting details - my
bad). Anyway, my wife wants the wheel I pinched from her mountain bike
back so I need to source one for myself but don't really want to spent
$100 on a newie.

Anyone got any tips?

cheers
dim

I went through this myself last year when I taco-ed my front in a race. If you're looking to spend less than $100 then you're probably going to be confined to second-hand - which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Check ebay - there's occasionally reasonable things going through there. Or if you've got a second-hand bike place around anywhere...If you're Melbourne based, try Bicycle Recycle. If you're willing to give wheel building a go then a decent rim can be had for about $70 or so, but then there's spokes, etc...