WTB: Decent 1-man Tent for Bike Camping

Tony B

Guest
I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping to pick
up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain hopefully) so I'm
after recommendations for a suitable make/model.

I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing TOO
expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths of winter
either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)

Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review in
Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
lightweigh 1-man tent?

thanks in advance,

Tony B

Tony B wrote:
> I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping
> to pick up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain
> hopefully) so I'm after recommendations for a suitable make/model.
>
> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but
> nothing TOO expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the
> depths of winter either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)
>
> Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review
> in Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any
> other lightweigh 1-man tent?
>
> thanks in advance,

Mine came from Milletts, very nice it is too.
Cost about thirty quid IIRC.

--
Dan L (Oldbloke)
My NEW bike 1996 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr

Tony B wrote:
> I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping to pick
> up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain hopefully) so I'm
> after recommendations for a suitable make/model.
>
> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing TOO
> expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths of winter
> either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)
>
> Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review in
> Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
> lightweigh 1-man tent?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Tony B

Over on uk.rec.walking there is a fan club for the Argos 1 man action
pro tent that I think is currently £20 reduced from £30-odd. Have a
google in google groups. It's 2 kg btw.
I bought one for backpacking with my 9 month old border collie as the
damage he *may* do to my macpac did not bear thinking about.
So far I've used it one night, not in the garden, but 2 miles from home.
Tent and border collie both survived.
Cheers
Graham
PS Easy to pitch for me means inner and outer pitch together. This can
be a real boon pitching in inclement conditions.
Macpac minaret does, Argos pro-action does not.
Pays your money & takes your choice.

In message <[email protected]>, Tony B
<[email protected]> writes
>I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping to pick
>up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain hopefully) so I'm
>after recommendations for a suitable make/model.
>
>I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing TOO
>expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths of winter
>either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)
>
>Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review in
>Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
>lightweigh 1-man tent?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Tony B

For one of the lightest and best, try Robert Saunders' Jetpacker
(http://www.robertsaunders.co.uk/). Depends on your definition of "too
expensive" mind. It's not the cheapest, but a long way from the amount
you could spend at Cotswolds.....

Jon
--
ADSL at last. You can ring me now, too!
jon@(bloater).(plus).(com) (lose the brackets)

Tony B wrote:

> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing
> TOO expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths of
> winter either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)

I went to the local independent camping shop - said almost exactly as
above and picked up a nice two man tent (you'll need somewhere for the
leathers and stuff) for ~£35. I also bought a sleeping bag (that packs
up pretty small) for ~£18.

The tent meets all my requirements and worked well in the thunderstorm
whilst at Chimay this year.

This is the one:
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Aztec-Cascada-2.html

--
Simon

Brighton | MYSOB: http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
England | MZSOB: http://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 06:36:43 +0100, "Tony B" <[email protected]> said:

> I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping
> to pick up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain
> hopefully) so I'm after recommendations for a suitable make/model.

> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but
> nothing TOO expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in
> the depths of winter either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)

> Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review
> in Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any
> other lightweigh 1-man tent?

If you are looking for *cheap*, then Argos are doing a one person tent
for only GBP 19.99

<http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=113160>

* Polyester flysheet with taped seams, breathable polyster inner
and polyster oxford 210D floor.

* Aluminium poles, mosquito net, guy line, pegs and compression
bag included.

* Size (W)110, (L)290, (H)100cm.

* Weight 2kg.

* Packed dimensions - 36 x14cm. Unit weight 2 kg.

I have one, and it's not bad. It's not the lightest of tents, but you
would be looking at spending ten times as much for a decent one 3/4 of
the weight. No guarantees about its performance in foul weather,
though.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tony B" <[email protected]> writes:

> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing TOO
> expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths of winter
> either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)

Campsite camping and lightweight don't go together. Campsites tend to
have hard ground. Lightweight tentpegs will bend rather than go in.

I have one known as a "jetpacker". It's pretty hopeless on camp sites,
but better in nicer places. Still prefer the bivvy bag. Oh, and if
you want to extend the camping season, it's fine in pretty much any
weather you get in the UK other than extreme hot/muggy/midgy.
Not sure how much wind it'll take, but I've exposed it to quite a lot
of snow and ice.

Frankly I don't see the point of campsite camping. If you are limiting
yourself to being amongst people, why not go for B&B: cleaner, quieter,
more personal space, and mod-cons? OTOH wild camping is an altogether
different story.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

> Frankly I don't see the point of campsite camping.

Well, here goes... of to Slovenia next year for a "treffen" with a group of
Slovenian big trail bike riders that my mate met this year (OK I know, VERY
niche subset) and guess what, they are having the rally at a campsite. I'd
rather book in local digs TBH but that's not really "in the spirit"; I do a
bit of campsite camping with Mrs B and the 2 pans, it's easy. and we all
have a top time so campsites are not ALL BAD and if the kids get a taste for
it...

> OTOH wild camping is an altogether different story.

I reckon so, never been there mesen but my mate does a bit of bivy bagging
(which to me looks 1 step up from being a tramp) and manages to have a top
laff, for myself I have a long-term thing about camping on Sandwood Bay in
NW Scotland. One day,,,,

Cheers for t'advice anyway, I appreciate it.

bfn,

Tony B

PS kids want to camp out in the garden with me new tent when it arrives,
tha's pretty wild I reckon (they are 2 and 5).

> --
> Nick Kew
>
> Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

I have a good quality single-man Phoenix lightweight tent that I
bought a few years ago for £90. It is like a standard dome tent, but
with only one main pole running the length of the tent. Phoenix used
to be a very good quality make some years ago, but think they have
gone out of business now.

Would be prepared to sell this at a reasonable price - get back to me
if you are interested.

Pete A.

Pete A wrote:
> I have a good quality single-man Phoenix lightweight tent that I
> bought a few years ago for £90. It is like a standard dome tent, but
> with only one main pole running the length of the tent. Phoenix used
> to be a very good quality make some years ago, but think they have
> gone out of business now.
>
> Would be prepared to sell this at a reasonable price - get back to me
> if you are interested.

The directors of Phoenix sold out to Karrimor as good few years ago now,
but to the best of my knowledge are now trading on their own again as
Omega, from the same trading estate in Amble.

I must admit it's a bit hard keeping up when you're in the antipodes,
but I'd drop in next time you're in Northumberland (^:

Steve

Niv wrote:

> A really good 1 man jobby is the Vango TSB Micro, but it is around
> £100.
>
> Niv, CB500s (for now).

Don't want to sound Bear'ish but I thought it was established that Kyam
tents with the folding pole system was the only true UKRM tent? anything
else is more work.
www.khyam.co.uk/rapidex_flexi.asp

I have the 2/3 man Highlander for biking and a 6 man portable hotel, both
beat anything else experienced in 30 years of camping. Great in high winds.
I see they now do a very smart modular all temp. sleeping/Bivvi bag system,
must get.

--
'Hog

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:42:40 +0100, "'Hog" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Niv wrote:
>
>> A really good 1 man jobby is the Vango TSB Micro, but it is around
>> £100.
>>
>> Niv, CB500s (for now).

>Don't want to sound Bear'ish but I thought it was established that Kyam
>tents with the folding pole system was the only true UKRM tent? anything
>else is more work.
>www.khyam.co.uk/rapidex_flexi.asp
>
>I have the 2/3 man Highlander for biking and a 6 man portable hotel, both
>beat anything else experienced in 30 years of camping. Great in high winds.
>I see they now do a very smart modular all temp. sleeping/Bivvi bag system,
>must get.

IME Kyam tents are good value but they're right at the bottom end of
the market and if you want to be sure of your tent standing up to
severe conditions then you really need to be looking elsewhere. I
wouldn't use anything with fibreglass poles year round because the
bastards crack when it gets cold and you end up using your tent as
nothing more than a glorified bivvy sack.
--
Andy Bonwick
ZX9RE1

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm planning on doing a bit of bike camping next year, I was hoping to
> pick up a suitable lightweight tent soon (end of season bargain
> hopefully) so I'm after recommendations for a suitable make/model.
>
> I want something that is easy to pitch, light, packs small but nothing
> TOO expensive. It's only for campsite camping, and not in the depths
> of winter either. Moastly summer sunshine ;-)
>
> Currently in the frame is the Wild Country Ilanos, based on a review
> in Cycling Plus magazine. Anyone got experience of this one? Or any
> other lightweigh 1-man tent?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Tony B

The infamous Argos Pro Action 1 Man tent? £19.99

I bought one last year at £30, bought a spare last month at £15!

--
Brian

[email protected] said...
> Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
> lightweigh 1-man tent?

If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

Fran wrote:
> [email protected] said...
>> Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
>> lightweigh 1-man tent?
>>

> If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
> every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
> may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
> small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
> use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
> it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
> soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.

Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest Argos had
16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5 consectutive nights in
Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and one in strong winds. Mine
cost £15 and was well worth it. I am considering getting another for when
the first is knackered.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:26:00 +0100, "Martin Newstead"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Fran wrote:
>> [email protected] said...
>>> Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
>>> lightweigh 1-man tent?
>>>

>> If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
>> every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
>> may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
>> small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
>> use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
>> it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
>> soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.

>Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest Argos had
>16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5 consectutive nights in
>Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and one in strong winds.

did it leak at all ?

[email protected] said...
> Fran wrote:
> > [email protected] said...
> >> Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
> >> lightweigh 1-man tent?
> >>

> > If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
> > every penny and more.

> I used one of these for 5 consectutive nights in
> Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and one in strong winds. Mine
> cost £15 and was well worth it. I am considering getting another for when
> the first is knackered.

You certainly won't be the first one to do that! Actually, and
for no particular reason, I'm considering the same thing. Which,
considering no one in this house goes backpacking, is rather odd.
But then, I never claimed to be in any way normal... :)