WTB: Decent 1-man Tent for Bike Camping

[email protected] writes:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:26:00 +0100, "Martin Newstead"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest
> >Argos had 16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5
> >consectutive nights in Scotland last week, two nights in the rain
> >and one in strong winds.

> did it leak at all ?

Mine never has in some fairly bad wind and rain albeit at valley
level.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck mailto:[email protected]
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

> Can two people squeeze in ? SO and I are planning Spain on he BMW
> (or on the R1, if the BMW is dead :-() ...

Y-e-s, but it's a squeeze! I'd recommend either buying two, or a bigger
tent. The two man pro-action is regarded as being inferior in design and
construction tho. Mind, those who discuss these things generally take 'em
up the sides of mountains in wind and rain, rather than a campsite with
plenty of shelter fromt he wind.

Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
> > lightweigh 1-man tent?

> If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
> every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
> may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
> small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
> use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
> it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
> soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.

Can two people squeeze in ? SO and I are planning Spain on he BMW
(or on the R1, if the BMW is dead :-() ...

--
[email protected]
UKRM's Man in France
Yamaha YZF-R1 | BMW K100-LT

[email protected] said...

[Argos ProAction 1]
> Can two people squeeze in ? SO and I are planning Spain on he BMW
> (or on the R1, if the BMW is dead :-() ...

Possibly... if you're very thin... TBH I wouldn't have thought
so. There are, however, some very cheap 2-man tents available at
the moment. Try places like Milletts, for example, or even
(Heaven forbid!) Tesco.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
> > > lightweigh 1-man tent?

> > If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
> > every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
> > may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
> > small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
> > use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
> > it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
> > soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.

> Can two people squeeze in ? SO and I are planning Spain on he BMW
> (or on the R1, if the BMW is dead :-() ...

there was a couple next to me at patterdale (not that thats relevant)
sleeping in one for at least 3 nights

BTW - why mess about with an r1 or beemer when you could have a fast bike ?
;-)

[email protected] said...
> there was a couple next to me at patterdale (not that thats relevant)
> sleeping in one for at least 3 nights

3 nights? In a PA1? I'm impressed!
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > there was a couple next to me at patterdale (not that thats relevant)
> > sleeping in one for at least 3 nights
> >

> 3 nights? In a PA1? I'm impressed!

do you think that qualifies for some sort of record in the URW PA1 club ?
;-)

[email protected] said...

> "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] said...
> > > there was a couple next to me at patterdale (not that thats relevant)
> > > sleeping in one for at least 3 nights
> > >

> > 3 nights? In a PA1? I'm impressed!

> do you think that qualifies for some sort of record in the URW PA1 club ?
> ;-)

Goodness knows. Did the couple do much walking, or were they too
cramped in the mornings to actually move?
--

?
> > ;-)

> Goodness knows. Did the couple do much walking, or were they too
> cramped in the mornings to actually move?

i dont know to be honest. infact - i only saw them once although the tent
was there for a while. i couldnt say wether they was out walking all the
time or too cramped to get out of the tent lol i never heard any shouts for
help.
unless they were a newly coupled couple if you know what i mean

Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] said...
> [Argos ProAction 1]

> > Can two people squeeze in ? SO and I are planning Spain on he BMW
> > (or on the R1, if the BMW is dead :-() ...

> Possibly... if you're very thin... TBH I wouldn't have thought
> so. There are, however, some very cheap 2-man tents available at
> the moment. Try places like Milletts, for example, or even
> (Heaven forbid!) Tesco.

Cheap isn't really an issue ... getting the tent into the top-box, is.

--
[email protected]
UKRM's Man in France

Martin Newstead wrote:
> Fran wrote:
>> [email protected] said...
>>> Anyone got experience of this one? Or any other
>>> lightweigh 1-man tent?
>>>

>> If you can find one the Pro-Action 1 man tent from Argos is worth
>> every penny and more. Trouble is, it's being discontinued so you
>> may have to do the rounds to make sure you can find one. It's
>> small and lightweight, and has fans over in uk.rec.walking who
>> use it for backpacking out in the wilds. I've got one myself -
>> it's for my teenagers who are intending to start their DoE awards
>> soon - but I can't comment on it as it's still in its bag.

> Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest
> Argos had 16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5
> consectutive nights in Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and
> one in strong winds. Mine cost £15 and was well worth it. I am
> considering getting another for when the first is knackered.

Got my second one yesterday, there was 10 in stock before I bought mine.

> > Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest
> > Argos had 16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5
> > consectutive nights in Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and
> > one in strong winds. Mine cost £15 and was well worth it. I am
> > considering getting another for when the first is knackered.

> Got my second one yesterday, there was 10 in stock before I bought mine.

I used min on a Lands End to Leeds ride and it coped admirably with three
major downpours in the process. I'm a big fellah but had no problems fitting
in it along with the panniers from my bike. At the price, it can not be
beaten for value. It also is a cinch to erect and dismantle.

vernon levy [email protected] opined the following...
> I used min on a Lands End to Leeds ride and it coped admirably with three
> major downpours in the process. I'm a big fellah but had no problems fitting
> in it along with the panniers from my bike. At the price, it can not be
> beaten for value. It also is a cinch to erect and dismantle.

Amusingly, the two of you completed a LEJoG together! :)

Jon

Phew! Just ordered two from the Argos Website...
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=113160

They're going fast!
"vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest
>> > Argos had 16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5
>> > consectutive nights in Scotland last week, two nights in the rain and
>> > one in strong winds. Mine cost £15 and was well worth it. I am
>> > considering getting another for when the first is knackered.

>> Got my second one yesterday, there was 10 in stock before I bought mine.
>>

> I used min on a Lands End to Leeds ride and it coped admirably with three
> major downpours in the process. I'm a big fellah but had no problems
> fitting
> in it along with the panniers from my bike. At the price, it can not be
> beaten for value. It also is a cinch to erect and dismantle.

Just picked them up - Excellent tents and even more so for the price!

news:[email protected]...

vernon levy wrote:
>>> Argos are selling Pro Action 1s for £20 at the moment. My nearest
>>> Argos had 16 in stock yesterday. I used one of these for 5
>>> consectutive nights in Scotland last week, two nights in the rain
>>> and one in strong winds. Mine cost £15 and was well worth it. I am
>>> considering getting another for when the first is knackered.

>> Got my second one yesterday, there was 10 in stock before I bought
>> mine.
>>

> I used min on a Lands End to Leeds ride and it coped admirably with
> three major downpours in the process. I'm a big fellah but had no
> problems fitting in it along with the panniers from my bike. At the
> price, it can not be beaten for value. It also is a cinch to erect
> and dismantle.

I have been wondering how you got on Vernon. What made you decide to curtail
the trip ? Was it the weather ? Are you planning on the second half next
year ? I guess I should do the first half next summer !

> I have been wondering how you got on Vernon. What made you decide to

curtail
> the trip ? Was it the weather ? Are you planning on the second half next
> year ? I guess I should do the first half next summer !

I successfully dodged most of the foul weather between Aug 11th and 22nd.
It was either a day or two behind me or a day or two ahead of me. I finally
got caught by a foull weather system at Penistone which also coincided with
a broken spoke and buckled wheel acquired when I hit a pot hole on a fast
descent.

I acquired a cracking tan, a cart load of memories including a 'Royston
Vasey experience' on Dartmoor. And saw lots of England and Wales that I
would never have explored normally. I'll probably go for the whole shooting
match again next year. I don't like doing things in installments. The
advantage of doing it from scratch is that I can can explore even more of
England and and the welsh borders next year. Being a teacher gives me the
luxury of time to choose the window of opportunity each year from late July
to Sept.

I'm looking at having a go a a few audaxes now.

vernon levy wrote:
>> I have been wondering how you got on Vernon. What made you decide to
>> curtail the trip ? Was it the weather ? Are you planning on the
>> second half next year ? I guess I should do the first half next
>> summer !
>>

> I successfully dodged most of the foul weather between Aug 11th and
> 22nd. It was either a day or two behind me or a day or two ahead of
> me. I finally got caught by a foull weather system at Penistone
> which also coincided with a broken spoke and buckled wheel acquired
> when I hit a pot hole on a fast descent.

Unlucky.

> I'm looking at having a go a a few audaxes now.

I am doing my first, the Vale of York 150 next Sunday.