rec.bicycles.marketplace · Public discussion

WTB: FSA Team Issue 177.5 crankset

Started by judibob · · Last activity · 2 posts · 480 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace
Published
3 October 2006
Last activity
4 October 2006
Original author
judibob
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
480
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Prefer new.
    I've looked quite extensively and can't seem to find these. Are they out of
    production?
    In any case, would appreciate any leads.
    Bob
    [email hidden]

  2. I don't know if you mean 'team issue' road or mtn, but I'm guessing you mean
    mountain.

    I actually don't think FSA has made cranks over 175mm, but I could be wrong.
    I don't have my catalogues with me, so I can't check at the moment.

    Two road cranks over 175mm that come to mind include the Truvativ Roleur (at
    180mm) and Dura Ace (7700 and 7800) in 177.5 and 180 mm.

    In the mtn world, once upon a time, RaceFace used to make some long cranks
    (180 or 183mm) in the Turbine line. Those became a hit with the singlespeed
    crowd, you may have a shot at finding them on ebay used. Shimano currently
    does to XT in 180 and XTR in 177.5 and 180, though they aren't often stocked
    by the 'volume discount' places, so having your LBS order it from shimano or
    the distributor may be necessary.

    That may not be what you wanted to hear, sorry.

    I've used quite a few cranks over the past few years (the list includes
    XT/Ultegra/DuraAce octalink, Raceface Turbine ISIS, FSA team issue mtn ISIS,
    DuraAce integrated, XT integrated, RaceFace Atlas and Deus integrated, FSA
    SL-K integrated, FSA Gossamer integrated, TruVativ stylo? integrated) on my
    fleet of bikes, and I've had a bunch of trouble with a few of them. Just my
    opinion, but there's no reason NOT to use Shimano's integrated cranksets, as
    they're far superior in design and don't-get-messed-up-ability. I have the
    FSA gossamer alloys on my cross bike (compact) and they're right up there
    too because they use the shimano pinch-bolt design. Other than that, the
    rest are all forgettable, including the FSA carbon integrated setups which
    are only passable, and the RF Dues, which I now have a set of for scrap. I
    know some people gripe about the integrated BB bearing life, but I get
    better than 8k miles on a set of $30 cups, which far beats what I used to
    get on octalinks at twice the price, and grossly beats what I ever got out
    of ISIS. My intent isn't to start a debate, but if you're looking for long
    cranks, there's no reason to avoid the shimano models, hands down.

    Well, except for that whole "proprietary chainring" bit on the XTR cranks
    which means you'll be paying out the wazoo for replacement rings...

    I'm perfectly willing to discuss my experiences more, and to bash RaceFace
    for thier horrible design and unwillingness to back up their 'lifetime
    warranty' if anybody wants to hear more. Boo RaceFace. You used to be one
    of my favorite companies. Boo FSA for sacrificing the design of your SL-K
    cranks in order to use carbon on them. You got it right with the Gossamer
    Aluminums, but since you couldn't do the same thing with carbon, you took a
    step backwards to make it work.

    JN

    "judibob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Prefer new.
    I've looked quite extensively and can't seem to find these. Are they out
    of
    production?
    In any case, would appreciate any leads.
    Bob
    [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.