WTB: Galaxy frame

Danny Colyer

Guest
A friend of mine has just broken his frame and is quite keen to replace
it with a Dawes Galaxy (ideally 21"). He lives in Bristol, I don't know
how far he'd be willing to travel to pick it up.

If you happen to have a spare Galaxy frame laying around, or know
someone who does, and would like it to go to a good home where it will
be cherished and used near enough daily, please either reply to me or
e-mail him direct at: jamiejuggler at yahoo dot co dot uk

Thanks.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:28:47 +0100, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> A friend of mine has just broken his frame and is quite keen to replace
> it with a Dawes Galaxy (ideally 21"). He lives in Bristol, I don't know
> how far he'd be willing to travel to pick it up.

Out of interest, how / where?

My first galaxy frame broke after a few years use - the lower head
tube lug broke, freeing the down tube from the head tube. I'd been
thinking the headset had some mysterious play that no amount of fine
adjustment could resolve, then one day I got on while looking down at
the front wheel, and saw it move away from me as I put weight on the
frame.

That was a 1992 frame.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

news:[email protected]...

wrote:

> > A friend of mine has just broken his frame and is quite keen to replace
> > it with a Dawes Galaxy (ideally 21"). He lives in Bristol, I don't

know
> > how far he'd be willing to travel to pick it up.

> Out of interest, how / where?
>
> My first galaxy frame broke after a few years use - the lower head
> tube lug broke, freeing the down tube from the head tube. I'd been
> thinking the headset had some mysterious play that no amount of fine
> adjustment could resolve, then one day I got on while looking down at
> the front wheel, and saw it move away from me as I put weight on the
> frame.
>
> That was a 1992 frame.

My Galaxy broke at the dropout/gear hanger. Thankfully I wasn't travelling
fast
when it fractureed. It was repaired/bodged by Bill Nickson to keep me on
the road
during my LEJOG. I'm having the dropouts replaced as a pai by Woodrups in
Leeds.

I think mine is about 10 years old.

Vernon

I wrote:
>> A friend of mine has just broken his frame and is quite keen to replace
>> it with a Dawes Galaxy (ideally 21").

and Ian Smith wondered:
> Out of interest, how / where?
>
> My first galaxy frame broke after a few years use - the lower head
> tube lug broke, freeing the down tube from the head tube.

The old bike wasn't a Galaxy, but he's always wanted a Galaxy and would
like to fit his components to a second hand Galaxy frame now that he
needs to replace the frame anyway.

The e-mail that he sent me yesterday reads:
"One more thing... I'm currently looking at replacing
the frame on my commuting bike. I noticed the frame
had broken on one of the chain stays, probably through
a combination of being an old frame and carrying too
much weight on the back! Anyway, I want to replace
the frame with a Dawes Galaxy if possible. I've
always wanted one of these and I think it would be
good for general commuting/touring."

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)