WTB Giant MTB Roam xr1 2014

luism

Sep 9, 2012
I am looking for advice on this bike. if it is good quality for the price. I was interested in cannondale,specialized but I seem to always go back to the giant due to it gives more option and better components for the cost. here this bike going for 1145.

FWIW. A 29er Hardtail seems like a good choice for anyone who is 5'9" or taller (that just MY very arbitrary criteria for 29ers even though they now make some for smaller riders ... BECAUSE 'I' think that you typically have to pretty manly to turn a massive 700x52-to-700x58 29er tires ) who is looking for a non-"Road" bike ...

• the bike comes equipped with 700x35 pavement-and-gravel-road-and-light-trail tires

So, presuming you are suitably tall OR feel that you have the leg strength (many shorter riders certainly do, of course), then it is certainly "okay" ...

The components seems to be a nice choice ...

BUT, the 48-36-26 gearing on the crankset suggests that someone at Giant anticipates-or-intends the bike for comparatively FLAT or rolling trail riding despite the spiel ...

ALSO, because I am NOT familiar with the Fork, YOU will need to determine/research whether or not you feel it is suitable for the type-and-range of riding you anticipate that you will be doing ...

Without having ridden one, I'm going to suggest that it is a GREAT alternative choice for a person who would otherwise choose a Hybrid with a Suspension Fork ...

• 'I' love Hybrid frames which have Rigid Forks the Suspension Fork on most/(all?) Hybrids is usually substandard
  • I would classify the GIANT XR 1 as a 29er with a fork that may not be suitable for difficult trails

The bottom line is that it's not a bad choice as long as you are aware of the type of riding you anticipate AND as long as you know it has some limitations (most bikes do, of course!) as it is currently configured.

BTW. The 2014 model year is almost over ...

If you are in the Lower-48, then a pre-tax price of closer to $1040 (MSRP minus 20%) seems more appropriate to me .... start your haggling at somewhere under $1000.

thanks for the reply, im about 5, 11' I generally don't think I am going to do heavy riding like maybe certain mtb do. It mostly side walk and trails with some what inclines.ive read people don't like the fork. a. heavy and also travel think 60mm. but then again this is my really first bike. I really as is hard pressed to spend to much. I am about 212lbs guy. I was not awaire of the gearing but figured it would be good due to being the highest roam. I wanted to go to the 27.5" not sure if that's a better choice? thanks for the input. I was at a specialized and forget model right now but then again it was something that was priced higher with lower equipped parts. I think most say giant gives a good bang for the buck. also for quality.

specialized crosstrail. probably elite or pro

Originally Posted by luism
thanks for the reply, im about 5, 11' I generally don't think I am going to do heavy riding like maybe certain mtb do. It mostly side walk and trails with some what inclines.ive read people don't like the fork. a. heavy and also travel think 60mm. but then again this is my really first bike. I really as is hard pressed to spend to much. I am about 212lbs guy. I was not awaire of the gearing but figured it would be good due to being the highest roam. I wanted to go to the 27.5" not sure if that's a better choice? thanks for the input. I was at a specialized and forget model right now but then again it was something that was priced higher with lower equipped parts. I think most say giant gives a good bang for the buck. also for quality.

specialized crosstrail. probably elite or pro
FWIW. 27.5" (650B/584mm vs. 622mm for 700C rims) may be a great alternate wheel/tire size, but I don't think that its time has come, yet ...

I look at it as not being unlike the venerable 27" wheels size (630mm) -- viable in theory, but the rim-and-tire options are limited.

BTW. As far as the gearing, it is more-than-fine for non-off-road riding vs. the off-road inclines on some trails can be pretty steep & you would probably want lower gearing ...

I presume that the particular Suspension Fork is fine for mild trails ...

• bring a magnet to the shop ...
  • in MY mind, the DEAL BREAKER for the Giant Roam XR1 (or any other bike with a Suspension Fork) would be if the Suspension Fork's lowers are steel

If the trails which you plan to ride on will not be any steeper than Fire/"logging" Roads, then you may want to look at bikes like the JAMIS CODA which come in a variety of configurations & use it as a basis for comparison.

FYI. You will always get more bike for your money amongst the big-name-brands if you choose a Giant over the equivalent bike from another brand ...

• For reasons which are unknown to me, SPECIALIZED has had a sporadic quality control problem from time to time.

thanks I got to see if I can find a good dealer local here. see if I can get a deal on one. I think I need to ask more questions on the setup. what would you consider better gearing? maybe they can either switch or I ask if I can switch it in the future.

thanks I got to see if I can find a good dealer local here. see if I can get a deal on one. I think I need to ask more questions on the setup. what would you consider better gearing? maybe they can either switch or I ask if I can switch it in the future.
I think it is unlikely that they shop will change the gearing ...

Particularly, if the bike is sold with an end-of-the-year discount ...

• the 2014 model year theoretically ends at the end the 2nd Fiscal Quarter
  • which is in three weeks!!!

In the future, you can change the gearing most economically by simply changing the Cassette ...

• The gearing which the bike has is probably a good compromise for most people for most riding conditions.

BTW. Even if you never opt to use 29er tires AND although 'I' presume that the bike can handle 700x52 & 700x58 29er tires, it's worth asking and/or checking by having them put a wheelset with 29er tires in the bike's frame & fork to be sure otherwise it is just a slightly more expensive Hybrid.

Originally Posted by alfeng

I think it is unlikely that they shop will change the gearing ...

Particularly, if the bike is sold with an end-of-the-year discount ...

• the 2014 model year theoretically ends at the end the 2nd Fiscal Quarter
  • which is in three weeks!!!

In the future, you can change the gearing most economically by simply changing the Cassette ...

• The gearing which the bike has is probably a good compromise for most people for most riding conditions.

BTW. Even if you never opt to use 29er tires AND although 'I' presume that the bike can handle 700x52 & 700x58 29er tires, it's worth asking and/or checking by having them put a wheelset with 29er tires in the bike's frame & fork to be sure otherwise it is just a slightly more expensive Hybrid.

ya I be looking here Toronto for a good bike dealer. may look at cannondale but they seem to not have as much for there selection

I am looking for advice on this bike. if it is good quality for the price. I was interested in cannondale,specialized but I seem to always go back to the giant due to it gives more option and better components for the cost. here this bike going for 1145.
I own Roam 2 and Love it after almost 1500 miles. THe xr1 shares the same frame and some minor things but has excellent mid to high grade components There was a version with an Aluxx SL frame which has smoother welds etc.... These are hard to find in the States.

I am 6'2" 225 and ride the xl. My advice would be to make sure you get the right frame size.
I ride city, urban, rails to trails and easy singletrack no problem. That's with the stock tires which I didn't like at first but l learned to love them no Puncture flats riding over everything just play with pressures.

The xr1 has better everything that counts as far as I am concerned. Wheels are sealed bearings, and is the first upgrade I am making later this year...Regarding the gearing yes it has a road bias but rings 1&2 is more than adequate for most hills and trails. The suspension fork works great and is easy on the arms. Bottom line about this bike imo is this: THe roam isn't a road bike or a mountain bike nor a comfort bike. It does both road and trail well but does not excel in either and that's exactly fine for me. If you are more mountain bike oriented, popping wheelies, riding over logs downhill snaking corners etc you should just get a mountain bike. If you are a roadie rider going hard and fast then a road bike is the way to go.

With the stock tires I can cruise all day at 13-17 mph. I swapped out the stock stem and picked up some speed too.
I will say this though that over 24 mph things are different and a road bike would be nice. Good Luck!

PS Even the Tektro brakes that get average reviews work really well and saved me a time or two.