Road Cycling · Public discussion

WTB: MTB fork w/REALLY long steer tube

Started by Casey Miller · · Last activity · 5 posts · 494 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 November 2006
Last activity
9 November 2006
Original author
Casey Miller
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
494
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
    wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
    30cm???)

    I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
    combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.

    Does anyone know of a fork like this?

  2. Casey Miller said:

    I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
    wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
    30cm???)

    I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
    combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.

    Does anyone know of a fork like this?


    If you need an extra-long steerer tube but you aren't already using a
    extra-long (custom/special-order) frame (which would have come with an
    extra-long head tube if it needed one), then it would -seem- that you're
    shooting for an odd combination of components.

    How tall and heavy are you?.....

  3. DougC said:
    Casey Miller said:

    I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
    wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
    30cm???)

    I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
    combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.

    Does anyone know of a fork like this?


    If you need an extra-long steerer tube but you aren't already using a
    extra-long (custom/special-order) frame (which would have come with an
    extra-long head tube if it needed one), then it would -seem- that you're
    shooting for an odd combination of components.

    How tall and heavy are you?.....

    I'm 6'5", 300lbs (maybe 285 at this point)

    My arms are 26" long according to the Zinn measurements (wow!)
    (inseam 36", sternal notch 63.75"😉

    Zinn recommends that my road bike have a 60cm seat tube and a 65cm top
    tube.

    Riiiiight. I'd totally love a custom Zinn steel frame, but they're a
    bit spendy. Right now I'm making the most of hardtail Trek MTB
    aluminum.

    My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
    Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
    REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
    stem.

    I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
    solution.


  4. Quoted message said:


    My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
    Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
    REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
    stem.

    I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
    solution.

    This 4500 has a 57.2 cm seat tube and a 60.50 cm top tube.

  5. Casey Miller said:
    Quoted message said:


    My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
    Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
    REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
    stem.

    I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
    solution.

    This 4500 has a 57.2 cm seat tube and a 60.50 cm top tube.

    I found something promising at SpeedGoat cycles:

    http://www.viciouscycles.com

    they manufacture a variety of rigid steel forks, with oversize steer
    tubes.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.