WTB: MTB fork w/REALLY long steer tube

Casey Miller

Guest
I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
30cm???)

I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.

Does anyone know of a fork like this?

Casey Miller wrote:
> I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
> wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
> 30cm???)
>
> I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
> combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.
>
> Does anyone know of a fork like this?

If you need an extra-long steerer tube but you aren't already using a
extra-long (custom/special-order) frame (which would have come with an
extra-long head tube if it needed one), then it would -seem- that you're
shooting for an odd combination of components.

How tall and heavy are you?.....

DougC wrote:
> Casey Miller wrote:
> > I am looking for a beefy, rigid (preferably steel) MTB fork, 26"
> > wheels, 1 1/8" threadless, with a REALLY long steer tube (longer than
> > 30cm???)
> >
> > I'm trying to find the right size cockpit, and I want to try different
> > combinations of spacers, stems, and handlerbars.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a fork like this?
> >

> If you need an extra-long steerer tube but you aren't already using a
> extra-long (custom/special-order) frame (which would have come with an
> extra-long head tube if it needed one), then it would -seem- that you're
> shooting for an odd combination of components.
>
> How tall and heavy are you?.....

I'm 6'5", 300lbs (maybe 285 at this point)

My arms are 26" long according to the Zinn measurements (wow!)
(inseam 36", sternal notch 63.75")

Zinn recommends that my road bike have a 60cm seat tube and a 65cm top
tube.

Riiiiight. I'd totally love a custom Zinn steel frame, but they're a
bit spendy. Right now I'm making the most of hardtail Trek MTB
aluminum.

My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
stem.

I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
solution.

> My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
> Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
> REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
> stem.
>
> I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
> solution.

This 4500 has a 57.2 cm seat tube and a 60.50 cm top tube.

Casey Miller wrote:

> > My current "road bike" is a Trek 4500. I swapped the stock Rox Shox
> > Judy for a Surly Instigator fork, but the steer tube on my new fork is
> > REALLY short. I have barely enough steer tube left for my steep Salsa
> > stem.
> >
> > I have a steer tube extender on order, but I feel like it's a crappy
> > solution.

> This 4500 has a 57.2 cm seat tube and a 60.50 cm top tube.

I found something promising at SpeedGoat cycles:

http://www.viciouscycles.com

they manufacture a variety of rigid steel forks, with oversize steer
tubes.