WTB "sociable" recumbent -- suggestions?

Sebastian Wren

Guest
I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
certainly open to suggestions.

Sebastian Wren wrote:

> I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
> for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
> the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
> Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
> high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
> certainly open to suggestions.

There is a kit for converting two Sun EZ1's into a sociable - the
"Quadribent Kit" [1]. The bikes and kit are available at any bike shop
with a J&B Importers account (which is most of them in the US).

By definition, a tandem has the riders in a single line, not side-by-side.

[1]
<http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer/product-closeup.phtml?id=67458>
and <http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer/product-closeup.phtml?id=67459>.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Sebastian Wren wrote:
> I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
> for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
> the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
> Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
> high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
> certainly open to suggestions.

There was a guy at the trike gathering in Xenia (OH) not long ago who
brought his home-built quad side-by-side machine. I don't remember his name,
but he's from Sydney (OH). Check on the BROL message board - someone will have
the info.
And maybe he'll be willing to sell it to you, or build you one.
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Maybe a Worksman- Side by Side Team Dual -
www.worksman.com/sidebyside.html
Nice trike- w/ top & 3 speed, but very heavy. Had one in '92, and
they still make them.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

[email protected] (Sebastian Wren) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
> for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
> the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
> Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
> high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
> certainly open to suggestions.

My spouse and I recently borrowed a "Rhoades Car" to do the critical mass
ride in SF
It had plenty enough gearing, separate gear system for each rider. Ran
well except the brake is weak. The side by side seating has big social
advantages.
I think they are still being made.
Speedy

Sebastian Wren wrote:

> I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
> for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
> the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
> Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
> high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
> certainly open to suggestions.

So that's who was riding the Rhoades Car in CM last week. I was riding
my Trice Mini.

Zach Kaplan

"S. Delaire \"Rotatorrecumbent\"" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My spouse and I recently borrowed a "Rhoades Car" to do the critical mass
> ride in SF
> It had plenty enough gearing, separate gear system for each rider. Ran
> well except the brake is weak. The side by side seating has big social
> advantages.
> I think they are still being made.
> Speedy
>
> Sebastian Wren wrote:
>
> > I've been looking for a high-quality "sociable" (side-by-side seating)
> > for some time now, and I'm not having much luck. I like the looks of
> > the Gem and the 2-Can, but they won't reply to my e-mail inquiries.
> > Are they even in business any more? Is there somebody selling
> > high-quality sociable tandem recumbents here in the U.S.? I'm
> > certainly open to suggestions.

> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

Mighty Jim Muellner
http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide/JimMuellner, the man who
pedaled across America in the 2003 Mayors' Ride on his company's folding
trike (fits in a suitcase, really) also makes a side by side recumbent
that is high quality and fully worth your getting a look at. See:
http://justtwobikes.com/models_dual.html

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
Can You Change it with Love?
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

No Doubt the Rhoades Car is still being made. In fact they have been the
main sponsor of our home page http://www.bikeroute.com for almost ten
years now, See them at http://www.rhoadescar.com

Also, I was at the last Mass on 11/26. And I didn't see either of you
guys. And I had a great view of pretty much the whole assemblage on my
HiWheel. Hopefully I'll see you and Zach at the next Critical Mass:

New Year's Eve!

For those unfamiliar, meet at 6 at the Justin Herman Plaza across from
the Ferry Building on Embarcadero at the Bay's edge.....

btw: We need to get more four wheeled bikes out there. The mass is a
perfect stage on which we can demonstrate the need for and the fun of
4-wheel bikes! How about trailers? How many people have seen this
awesome trailer bike that NBG TransAm vet, Max Chen built:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/gallery/SanFrancisco2004/IMG_1032

Or maybe we can get Max to bring out his shopping art recumbent:
http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/Archives/000053.html

Theres also a good chance that we will see SF resident and unicycle
Champion, Patrick Thomas, there. He was over last nite where we got a
chance to see Part One of the epic movie Don Loomis is creating about
his Mayors' Ride http://www.BikeRoute.com/NationalMayorsRide2004 TransAm
last summer. Not only do both of these guys have some amazing stories to
tell, but I can't think of any TransAmeerica crossing that can match the
physical output of Patrick's ride! And he did so unsupported by vehicles
filled with massage practitioners, cold liquids and night time warmth.
On a 20 inch wheel!! And he wants to do it again!!

In article <[email protected]>,

Martin Krieg wrote:

> btw: We need to get more four wheeled bikes out there. The mass is a
> perfect stage on which we can demonstrate the need for and the fun of
> 4-wheel bikes!...

I think we need to stop abusing the English language.

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

Tom Sherman said:

By definition, a tandem has the riders in a single line, not side-by-side.

Tandem sociable:

www.rhoadescar.com/4w4p-a.htm
:D