WTB: SPD Sandals and spd/platform pedals

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Paul Dalen, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Paul Dalen

    Paul Dalen Guest

    size 11.5 for the sandals.

    I'd also like to find a pair of pedals with SPD on one side and a platform or cage on the other.
    Nashbar has a pair of these for $26, so I'd like to keep the price well under that.

    Tags:

  2. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I have an extra pair of genuine Shimano PD-M323 (1 side clipless/1 side steel platform), with a brand new set of "multi-release" cleats. They were significantly more expensive than the Nashbar, but I'd sell them for $25 + shipping.

    Let me know,
    R2

  3. Paul Dalen

    Paul Dalen Guest

    Sounds like a good deal to me. Email me at [email protected]

    R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul Dalen wrote:
    > > size 11.5 for the sandals. I'd also like to find a pair of pedals with SPD on one side and a
    > > platform or cage on the other. Nashbar has a pair of these for $26, so I'd like to keep the
    > > price well under that.
    >
    > I have an extra pair of genuine Shimano PD-M323 (1 side clipless/1 side steel platform), with a
    > brand new set of "multi-release" cleats. They were significantly more expensive than the Nashbar,
    > but I'd sell them for $25 + shipping.
    >
    > Let me know, R2

  4. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Dalen) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > size 11.5 for the sandals.
    >
    > I'd also like to find a pair of pedals with SPD on one side and a platform or cage on the other.
    > Nashbar has a pair of these for $26, so I'd like to keep the price well under that.

    My 2cents. I use sandals and like them but do not like the 323 pedals. I guess I'm strickly a full
    cage platform spd kinda guy. The reason I don't like the non platform side of the 323 is that the
    sandals are not as rigid as some bike shoes. I can feel the cleat area pushing up through the sandal
    which causes hot foot and toe numbness big time. I personally find the 525 shimano pedals more comfy
    on long rides.

  5. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Bill,

    One thing I've found that helps with the old "Riding on Walnuts" problem is to buy some soft caulk at the hardware store (don't get stuff with too much silicone - it gets too hard). You want some that stays pliant.

    Now lift up the insole in your SPUDS and fill in the depressions around the cleat mounting plate, smoothing it out level. Let it dry and voila! Relief.

    This may not solve your problem with the sandals, but it sure will help.

    R2

    Bill B wrote:
    >I can feel the cleat area pushing up through the sandal
    which causes hot foot and toe numbness big time.

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    R2D2 wrote:

    > I have an extra pair of genuine Shimano PD-M323 (1 side clipless/1 side steel platform), with a
    > brand new set of "multi-release" cleats. They were significantly more expensive than the Nashbar,
    > but I'd sell them for $25 + shipping....

    I have found Shimano SPuD cleats to work significantly better with Shimano 323, 324, and 515 pedals
    than with any non-Shimano SPuD clone pedals I have tried.

  7. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Thanks for the good info Tom, as I haven't had any experience with cleats other than Shimano, on Shimano pedals. Conversely, I always wondered how Shimano cleats would work with other brands of pedals.

    BTW Paul, the cleats I mentioned are the Shimano SM-SH55 Multi-Release cleats (they are the silver ones). They will release from any angle. My LBS wants $24.00 for a pair! Ouch.

    R2

  8. "R2D2" skrev...
    > BTW Paul, the cleats I mentioned are the Shimano SM-SH55 Multi-Release cleats (they are the silver
    > ones). They will release from any angle. My LBS wants $24.00 for a pair! Ouch.

    I'd stick with singlerelease cleats. More than once I experienced accidental releases with the
    multirelease when accelerating and pulling hard on the pedals.

    Mikael

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > > R2D2 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have an extra pair of genuine Shimano PD-M323 (1 side clipless/1 side steel platform), with
    > > > a brand new set of "multi-release" cleats. They were significantly more expensive than the
    > > > Nashbar, but I'd sell them for $25 + shipping....
    > > I have found Shimano SPuD cleats to work significantly better with Shimano 323, 324, and 515
    > > pedals than with any non-Shimano SPuD clone pedals I have tried. Tom Sherman - Various HPV's
    > > Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
    >
    > Thanks for the good info Tom, as I haven't had any experience with cleats other than Shimano,
    > on Shimano pedals. Conversely, I always wondered how Shimano cleats would work with other
    > brands of pedals.
    >
    > BTW Paul, the cleats I mentioned are the Shimano SM-SH55 Multi-Release cleats (they are the silver
    > ones). They will release from any angle. My LBS wants $24.00 for a pair! Ouch.
    >
    > R2

    FWIW, I never had ANY trouble with SPD cleats and my Wellgo pedals.

  10. "MLB" skrev

    > FWIW, I never had ANY trouble with SPD cleats and my Wellgo pedals.

    Good for you. Mine were incompatible enough to make release a very tricky proposition if I used
    Simano cleats on my Wellgo's and vice versa. The rear part of the cleats were different enough to
    cause trouble it seems.

    Mikael

  11. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "MLB" skrev
    >
    >> FWIW, I never had ANY trouble with SPD cleats and my Wellgo pedals.
    >
    > Good for you. Mine were incompatible enough to make release a very tricky proposition if I used
    > Simano cleats on my Wellgo's and vice versa. The rear part of the cleats were different enough to
    > cause trouble it seems.
    >
    > Mikael

    Mine came out slick as a whistle. I did keep them lubed as recommended.

  12. Your LBS is a rat. The SH-55s retail for about $15 and sometimes show upon PricePoint for $10 or 11.

    --
    news:[email protected]...