WTB trainer for winter

BenMelb

Jan 17, 2006
I am looking to buy a trainer for in the house so I can ..get?!?! or remain fit over winter so that I am ready for the summers.

I had a look at the units on probikekit.com but I just cant decide what is good or bad, having never ridden one before, and what you really need in the trainer etc

I have looked through the forum and found reference to Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer, £138, is this recommended still highly recommended?

Can anyone point out things to look for and what is a suitable unit to use for a beginner rider that will only use it once a week or maybe twice.

Cheers

The Cycleops Fluid2 is good, as is the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine: http://www.kurtkinetic.com/roadmachine.php

I have one of each. Both work extremely well and have lifetime warranties. The Cycleops is easier to get the bike on and off. The Kinetic is less prone to leakage and has a heavier flywheel, which makes the feel is a little more realistic.

Some people have had problems with the Cycleops leaking, but if that does happen, it is replaced quickly under warranty. My wife has been riding for an hour per day, four to five days per week for about two years on the Cycleops, and it has not had any problems. I only use the Kinetic in the winter, so it has not had nearly the use that the Cycleops has, but it, too, has been flawless.

There are three types of resistance units - wind, magenetic, and fluid. Wind is the least expensive and is realistic in the sense that resistance increases as speed increases,so you can use the gears on the bike to change resistance; however, they are extremely noisy. Magnetic are intermediate in price and are quiet, but the resistance is constant, regardless of speed. To change the resistance requires changing settings on the resistance unit. The better ones have a cable that attaches to the bike, so that you do not have to stop to change resistance. Fluid are the most expensive, but they combine the best features of the other two - i.e., you can use the gears on the bike to adjust the resistance, and they are quiet. To me, it was worth the extra money to get the fluid.

Thanks for the info, after reading your advice that has made me more confident in the fluid trainer being my best option.

I will have a look for a local seller (Newcastle uk) other wise i will look at the internet and the warranty issues with that