WTB: Trike

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> looking for a trike up to $1200.00, anything available?

Ah! Only Schwinn tadpole in existance- made in the 1980s. 8 feet long (8' x 4' steel trailer too)
all 3 Phil Wood 24" rims (2 front drum brakes) Specialized Fat Boy tires, only 7 high gears
currently, has jackshaft- so 80+ overlapping gears possible, lie down flat to ride with feet
sticking up, formerly named Red Shift in 1989. $12000.

OH!!! $1200.00!!! Dang it! I'll let you know if I find another couple-o-hundred-buck Brike.

Seriously, an EZ-3 can be found for about $5-6 hundred new. More class? More power? less weight?
spring models are coming!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Chris Do you have a photo of the Schwinn you can post somewhere. I don't want to buy it, but I am
curious what it looks like. Sounds like a MASA Slingshot.
"Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > looking for a trike up to $1200.00, anything available?
>
> Ah! Only Schwinn tadpole in existance- made in the 1980s. 8 feet long (8' x 4' steel trailer too)
> all 3 Phil Wood 24" rims (2 front drum brakes) Specialized Fat Boy tires, only 7 high gears
> currently, has jackshaft- so 80+ overlapping gears possible, lie down flat to ride with feet
> sticking up, formerly named Red Shift in 1989. $12000.
>
> OH!!! $1200.00!!! Dang it! I'll let you know if I find another couple-o-hundred-buck Brike.
>
> Seriously, an EZ-3 can be found for about $5-6 hundred new. More class? More power? less weight?
> spring models are coming!
>
> Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris Do you have a photo of the Schwinn you can post somewhere. I don't want to buy it, but I am
> curious what it looks like. Sounds like a MASA Slingshot.
I sent photos (close-ups of the Schwinn nameplates) to several places a while back, but it is all
"tied up" on the wall and ceiling until Spring. When I spotted the frame, I bought it thinking
the same thing- has that same backwards steering with the tie rod in front. But it is longer- so
you lie flat on your back, and a little thinner front stance. NOT a MASA! Scary to ride with my
head 10" high. Top speed in 1989 was 54mph. Scary!! Show trike I think. No online pics available
that I know of.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Keep it and let it increase in value. Sell tickets. I know someone selling a 1979 MASA for $3000.,
the one I rode in 1979 cost only 10% of the current asking price.
------------------
"Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Chris Do you have a photo of the Schwinn you can post somewhere. I don't want
> > buy it, but I am curious what it looks like. Sounds like a MASA
Slingshot.
> I sent photos (close-ups of the Schwinn nameplates) to several places a while back, but it is all
> "tied up" on the wall and ceiling until Spring. When I spotted the frame, I bought it thinking the
> same thing- has that same backwards steering with the tie rod in front. But it is longer- so you
> lie flat on your back, and a little thinner front stance. NOT a MASA! Scary to ride with my head
> 10" high. Top speed in 1989 was 54mph. Scary!! Show trike I think. No online pics available that I
> know of.
>
> Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Please see attached link to a $1150 trike.

http://www.ezdenver.com/raptor/

BTW, I rode one today in Maimi. I had contacted the builder and he found an owner somewhat nearby me
that was willing to let me try his. The owner was very complimentary about the builder and the
flexibility of changes.

This is a solid bike! I was very confortable and it was easy to get used to in the short time I had.
There were a couple of things I didn't care for such as the chubby tires and no index shifter, but
for $1150 it looks like a good buy to me.

You can also check out the bentrider online and go the message boards, look under trikes and you'll
find a series of messages about this trike including many words from the builder.

Regards,

Bill

> Keep it and let it increase in value. Sell tickets. I know someone selling a 1979 MASA for $3000.,
> the one I rode in 1979 cost only 10% of the current asking price.
> ------------------
> "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Chris Do you have a photo of the Schwinn you can post somewhere. I don't
want
> > > buy it, but I am curious what it looks like. Sounds like a MASA
> Slingshot.
> > I sent photos (close-ups of the Schwinn nameplates) to several places a while back, but it is
> > all "tied up" on the wall and ceiling until Spring. When I spotted the frame, I bought it
> > thinking the same thing- has that same backwards steering with the tie rod in front. But it is
> > longer- so you lie flat on your back, and a little thinner front stance. NOT a MASA! Scary to
> > ride with my head 10" high. Top speed in 1989 was 54mph. Scary!! Show trike I think. No online
> > pics available that I know of.
> >
> > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Geez,

I always like to say that I never rode a trike I didn't like. However, the MASA Slingshot was the
one almost made change my mind about saying that. A single self-energized mechanical disc in the
back, two mid-drive chain system (that love to drop the chain) and a 60 lbs vehicle weight, these
were not the high points of this trike. I believe the one I rode sold for $400.00 back in '94.

Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

> Keep it and let it increase in value. Sell tickets. I know someone selling a 1979 MASA for $3000.,
> the one I rode in 1979 cost only 10% of the current asking price.
> ------------------
> "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Chris Do you have a photo of the Schwinn you can post somewhere. I don't
want
> > > buy it, but I am curious what it looks like. Sounds like a MASA
> Slingshot.
> > I sent photos (close-ups of the Schwinn nameplates) to several places a while back, but it is
> > all "tied up" on the wall and ceiling until Spring. When I spotted the frame, I bought it
> > thinking the same thing- has that same backwards steering with the tie rod in front. But it is
> > longer- so you lie flat on your back, and a little thinner front stance. NOT a MASA! Scary to
> > ride with my head 10" high. Top speed in 1989 was 54mph. Scary!! Show trike I think. No online
> > pics available that I know of.
> >
> > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

U don't like the MASA Slingshot? U were NOT impressed by the 1978 Shimano rear wheel disc brake
(designed to slow you down)...I think it was supposed to stop the trike, but mine never did that. In
1978 just having a Disc Brake was a novelty, I don't think people knew Shimano was doing disc brakes
that far back. The MASA was long, low and wide and yeah it was pretty heavy (compared to trikes of
today...but in 1978?)...oh yeah it was NOT designed for short people, I'm 6.0 and it fit well, but
anyone under 5.8 and the fit was all wrong. I rode the MASA on a race track and it was great and
took sharp turns fast without lifting a wheel. Didn't have a speedometer, but I reckoned I was doing
40 mph into a sharp turn and she stayed on the ground. My wet dream has been to bring the MASA back
in an Aluminum version using current technology, but using the original MASA frame design (maybe not
quite so bloody wide...I think it was 42 inches). Did the one you tried still have the Aluminum air
spoiler on the front? I look at the AVD Windcheetah and see what the MASA would have evolved into
had it not gone glug. As for the price not jumping?...I've seen the MASA jump $1600. in only 2
years. There are so few of them left that everytime one more dies, the price of the remaining
Slingshots jump.
news:p[email protected]...