WTB: Velotechnik Streetmachine

Roy Grant

Guest
I got out-bid on the E-bay unit I had my eye on, now I'm kicking
myself. Anybody know anyone who has a used Streetmachine for sale? I'd
consider a Grasshopper or even a Speedmachine I suppose, but my first
choice is a Streetmachine.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Are there any good bent classifieds where I might look, or post
my query?

Roy Grant wrote:
> I got out-bid on the E-bay unit I had my eye on, now I'm kicking
> myself. Anybody know anyone who has a used Streetmachine for sale? I'd
> consider a Grasshopper or even a Speedmachine I suppose, but my first
> choice is a Streetmachine.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> p.s. Are there any good bent classifieds where I might look, or post
> my query?

As for classifieds, take a look at http://www.recumbents.com. And, of
course, the Message Board on http://www.bentrideronline.com has a 'for sale'
section, as well as one for people looking for particular bikes to buy.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Roy Grant wrote:
> I got out-bid on the E-bay unit I had my eye on, now I'm kicking
> myself. Anybody know anyone who has a used Streetmachine for sale? I'd
> consider a Grasshopper or even a Speedmachine I suppose, but my first
> choice is a Streetmachine.

I can't help you immediately, but I would suggest you don't get too hung
up on having an HP Velotechnik. I think they're very good (I have a
Streetmachine GT and am in no hurry to change it for anything else), but
if it's a Streetmachine you're after there are many bikes that are a lot
closer to it in overall feel and capability than a Grasshopper, and the
Speedmachine is quite substantially different.

HP Vels are nice, but so are other things. My gf bought a Nazca Fiero
because she preferred it to any of the HP Vels.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Roy Grant wrote:
> > I got out-bid on the E-bay unit I had my eye on, now I'm kicking
> > myself. Anybody know anyone who has a used Streetmachine for sale? I'd
> > consider a Grasshopper or even a Speedmachine I suppose, but my first
> > choice is a Streetmachine.

> I can't help you immediately, but I would suggest you don't get too hung
> up on having an HP Velotechnik. I think they're very good (I have a
> Streetmachine GT and am in no hurry to change it for anything else), but
> if it's a Streetmachine you're after there are many bikes that are a lot
> closer to it in overall feel and capability than a Grasshopper, and the
> Speedmachine is quite substantially different.
>
> HP Vels are nice, but so are other things. My gf bought a Nazca Fiero
> because she preferred it to any of the HP Vels.
>
> Pete.

Your advice is appreciated. I really am holding out for the
Streetmachine GT (or an upgraded version thereof), but for the riding
I do a Grasshopper would be similarly suitable. Realistically I will
not be buying a Speedmachine, I'm not into racing, and I don't have
any need to be THAT low.The suspension that the HP folks use, along
with underseat steering, are features I haven't seen packaged in other
'bents; I'm really quite taken with the Velotechnik bikes.I'll look
online at Nazca just for fun...

Thanks!

-Roy

Roy Grant wrote:

> Your advice is appreciated. I really am holding out for the
> Streetmachine GT (or an upgraded version thereof), but for the riding
> I do a Grasshopper would be similarly suitable. Realistically I will
> not be buying a Speedmachine, I'm not into racing, and I don't have
> any need to be THAT low.The suspension that the HP folks use, along
> with underseat steering, are features I haven't seen packaged in other
> 'bents;

The fine tuning of the HP Vel suspension does seem very good, but that's
not to say nobdoy else's is any good. Riding beihind my gf's Nazca I
can't spot any obvious pedal bob, for example, which I could do on a
Rainbow Lyner. As for underseat steering and fulls sus, there's no
shortage of options from European 'bentmongers. Many come with either
ASS or USS as options, like the Streetmachine, Grasshopper and Fiero.

> I'm really quite taken with the Velotechnik bikes.I'll look
> online at Nazca just for fun...

IME the biggest tangible difference is in the seat. I prefer the
Streetmachine's to the Fiero's, but OTOH Roos prefer's hers to mine.
The Nazca seat is more "3D", srapping around more by the hips, and the
padding is substantially thicker. It is cut away from the
shoulderblades, and all of these factors give it a very different feel,
Whether it's better or worse is up to the person sitting on it. If
you've already tried the HPVel seat and like it then note that Optima's
are very similar. If you haven't tried the HPVel seat, don't buy one of
their bikes until you have! (and IMHO this is advice that should be
applied to any hard shell seat). The new Bodlylink seat on the
Grasshopper and upcoming GTe may be adjustable in all sorts of ways but
I personally prefer the basic Streetmachine seat and Roos personally
prefers the Fiero's (she auditioned the Grasshopper, but preferred the
Fiero).

Pete.