WTB: Weinman nipple washers

Dan H

New Member
Sep 17, 2004
I want the tiny, thin, concave steel washers for use with alloy nipples going into rims with no grommets such as Velocity.
Not the brass washers that go under the spoke head at the hub flange.
The ones I have used before were made by Weinman but if I can get a comparable item made by somebody else, that's O.K. too.
I saw the ones made by Sapim but they look overkill.
Have some? Know where I can get them? I'm a dealer / race mechanic so not looking for retail.
Thank you.
dan at bicyclerepairman dot us

Dan-<< I want the tiny, thin, concave steel washers for use with alloy nipples
going into rims with no grommets such as Velocity. >><BR><BR>

Just for info. We build MANY Velocity based wheelsets and we never use grommets
for the nipps, not needed. Just use brass nipps and no need for anything like
washers.

If a 'race mechanic' then the 'need' for alloy nipps is even less. Reliability
is much more important, IMO.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Just for info. We build MANY Velocity based wheelsets and we never use grommets
for the nipps, not needed. Just use brass nipps and no need for anything like
washers.

If a 'race mechanic' then the 'need' for alloy nipps is even less. Reliability
is much more important, IMO.

Thanks for the tip Peter,
Usually the team has factory "boutique" wheels but for some reason I will be
building wheels for the women's side of the team this year. The team wheels
only need to last for one season before they are sold. The washers are not
so much for them as they are for the wheels I build for private clients.
With rims such as Velocity, I like to chamfer the spoke holes with an 8mm
carbide ball burr just enough to knock the edge off. I then anti-seize the
alloy nipple before installing the washer. The result is smooth turning
nipples without fear of galling or scoring which can lead to nipple
breakage.
Using the above method, none of my clients has ever had a broken nipple- not one!
Perhaps you think all that detail is overkill but it's part of the reason my
wheels are legendary far and wide.
Thanks, Dan.

Hmmm. Swedish nipple washers. What newsgroup have I stumbled into?

"Dan H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Perhaps you think all that detail is overkill but it's part of the
> reason my wheels are legendary far and wide.
> Thanks, Dan.

Dan, you have a website? I'm shopping for some new wheels.

Regards,
H.

As I replied on the email, I'm sure you build great wheels, I just question
alloy nipples in any wheel. Plus the addition of steel grommets to be able to
use alloy nipps...I jus don get it.

brass would fill the bill, has for me on about 900 wheels using Velocity rims
in the last 5 years.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.