WTF to do when there are so many types of purpose built bikes.

schristie11

Apr 29, 2012
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Now they have downhill bikes, and uphill bikes, and bikes that do both that cost more than my car, and many other category/types of purpose built mountain bikes - I wonder which model matches my needs..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I have been researching online to find a new mountain bike and the only problem I seem to have is that there are so many dam options.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I don't want to get into the gizmos and components, I want to know which brand & model fits my needs.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]My $800 budget limits me to a hard tale front suspension mountain bike.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I may plan to spend a few hundred more customizing or upgrading some of the components that come with the bike.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Ideally I could buy the frame and components all separately to get what I want, I did that with my last road bike.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]But I do not know if I can do that for my budget with a modern mountain bike.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Therefore, I am considering the Cannondale SL 3 like my friend recently bought. He said it seems perfect for the area we live in.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]It seems like a no brainer to get that bike, but I wanted to poll the forums and see what you all think about the competition.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I would like a bike that can go up hill and downhill and is comfortable on long rides of off road trails in southern Texas.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Additional Notes:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I am a small-thin guy with not a lot of muscle and climbing uphill on a smooth road bike is hard as hell on me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]So I am worried what it will be like on a mountain bike on loose dirt.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I think that I would like a bike that is light weight to help me out where I lack the muscle to power through with a heavy bike.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Yes I do work out but even still I am just a small-thin guy and I never get very big or very strong.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Uphill bike?
I'd like to see that one......
If you can get a Cannondale for $ 800, go for it.
Not sure why a road bike would be harder on you than an MTB, road bikes are generally lighter.
Not to mention the fact that riding on a road is much less taxing than riding on soft ground.
Which is why they built roads in the first place.
Personally, I would scan the thrift shops, flea markets and yard sales.
America is a land where people don't really use the bikes they buy and then re-sell them in almost new condition for a song (or donate them/leave them in the trash) when they get their first flat.
Your $ 800 can go a very, very long way, neighbor.........