WTF?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace archive' started by Tom Kunich, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why would
    I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 when I can pay the same thing for a brand new part with
    all of the intervening improvements? Why would I buy a group over the net for $150 less than new,
    take the chance of getting screwed by some con and pay the postage besides?

    Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a commercial
    proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.

    You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used - sometimes VERY used - parts will
    go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk.

    Curiouser and curiouser.

    Personally I think it's time to revert to buying only from my local shops where I can hold the stuff
    I want in my hands before buying.

    Tags:

  2. Jordan Hukee

    Jordan Hukee Guest

    Rather than apparently taking it personally and getting disappointed, why don't you just read the
    foolish posts and laugh to yourself?

    This newsgroup provides a wealth of humor if you let it. The astronomically high asking prices for
    run-of-the mill bikes or components (yeah, a DA cannondale "custom, mint" will DEFINITELY fetch
    $3000 of the $3200 you paid for it two years ago ;-), the occasional rants by insane (but
    beautifully articulate) jackasses, the fearful admonitions of people too cautious (or clueless) to
    find good deals on eBay or here in RBM. Yup, it's a rich tapestry.

    I think about 85% of the posts are from people who are trying to buy or sell something at a very
    reasonable price. The other 15% are transients who get annoyed quickly and don't post again. You've
    been here for a long time, so unless your message is a troll I am surprised you let the few kooks
    get to you!

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    On 2/23/04 9:29 PM, in article [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why
    > would I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 when I can pay the same thing for a brand new part
    > with all of the intervening improvements? Why would I buy a group over the net for $150 less than
    > new, take the chance of getting screwed by some con and pay the postage besides?
    >
    > Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a
    > commercial proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.
    >
    > You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used - sometimes VERY used - parts will
    > go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk.
    >
    > Curiouser and curiouser.
    >
    > Personally I think it's time to revert to buying only from my local shops where I can hold the
    > stuff I want in my hands before buying.

  3. T A

    T A Guest

    You got the nitwit part right.

    > Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why
    > would I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 when I can pay the same thing for a brand new part
    > with all of the intervening improvements? Why would I buy a group over the net for $150 less than
    > new, take the chance of getting screwed by some con and pay the postage
    besides?

    > Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a
    > commercial proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.
    >
    > You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used -
    sometimes
    > VERY used - parts will go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk.
    >
    > Curiouser and curiouser.
    >
    > Personally I think it's time to revert to buying only from my local shops where I can hold the
    > stuff I want in my hands before buying.

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why
    > would I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 when I can pay the same thing for a brand new part
    > with all of the intervening improvements? Why would I buy a group over the net for $150 less than
    > new, take the chance of getting screwed by some con and pay the postage besides?
    >
    > Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a
    > commercial proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.

    We've always had people posting to r.b.m who overestimated the value of their used bike stuff. That
    ain't new. But I think the dynamic is changed by:

    > You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used - sometimes VERY used - parts will
    > go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk.

    Bingo! It's about market factors. In r.b.m, we have a traditional competitive marketplace in which
    sellers compete for buyers. This is a normal market situation which tends, through competition, to
    drive prices down. On eBay, this is reversed and it's the buyers who are competing. This in not a
    normal marketplace and tends to drive prices up. Every auction is won by the person most willing to
    overpay for an item.

    Now, because buyers think eBay is more secure than r.b.m (which is far from the truth), they look
    there. Because sellers think they can get more money on eBay (which is often true) they
    preferentially sell their stuff there. The net result is that everyone sees inflated prices for junk
    and crap, which in turn results in that same type of crap being posted on r.b.m for 90% of retail
    even though it's 5 years old and has been raced on for thousands of miles.

  5. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why
    > would I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 when I can pay the same thing for a brand new part
    > with all of the intervening improvements? Why would I buy a group over the net for $150 less than
    > new, take the chance of getting screwed by some con and pay the postage besides?
    >
    > Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a
    > commercial proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.
    >
    > You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used - sometimes VERY used - parts will
    > go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk.
    >
    > Curiouser and curiouser.
    >
    > Personally I think it's time to revert to buying only from my local shops where I can hold the
    > stuff I want in my hands before buying.

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Value is in the eye of the buyer.

  6. RLBeldon

    RLBeldon Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Why do you suppose that people are beginning to ask nearly new prices for used equipment? Why
    > would I pay new prices for a NIB part from 1999 <snip>
    >
    > Apparently this group is either attracting nitwits who think that they can turn it into a
    > commercial proposition or nitwits who are so stupid they'll pay anything for a part.
    >
    > You can also watch the bidding on parts over on ebay where used - sometimes VERY used - parts will
    > go into bidding wars and someone will pay more than new prices on junk. <snip>

    Tom, US currency has trended down against the Euro and the Yen over the last year. Since nearly all
    of our hobby's products are sourced in Europe and Asia, it's just a matter of time before new
    product prices filter down to the used market. The market will always set prices or product will
    sit. But it still takes a nitwit to charge or pay above retail.