WTFOT: GR (geek report): finaly got Linux Mandrake 9

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 19, 2003.

  1. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...

    > Now i just have to get it so it will accept the network plan i have for
    > it. i have 3 network cards. internet connection via eth0(192.168.0.0), future server farm via
    > eth1(192.168.1.0) and my lan via eth2
    > (192.168.2.). seems simple enough, but it just don't work
    > --

    Ditto here. I can't seem to get my mind around setting up multiple networks off of one box. After a
    couple hours of work, it's easier to just go buy a hardware router and just plug it into my network.

    nk

  2. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
    > "Seems simple enough?"! You're talking about setting up routing tables in a multi-homed router and
    > then applying all the firewall rules and the masquerading, PAT, etc, etc. I don't think that
    > counts as "simple". Anyway, you'll be wanting the advanced routing HOWTO:
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/index.html

    You say that so easy now. Slug down a few brewskis and let's see how chipper you are translating
    that site...

    WTF RTFM?

    nk

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] online.de says...
    > In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > >
    > > Now i just have to get it so it will accept the network plan i have for
    > > it. i have 3 network cards. internet connection via eth0(192.168.0.0), future server farm via
    > > eth1(192.168.1.0) and my lan via eth2
    > > (192.168.2.). seems simple enough, but it just don't work
    > > --
    > >
    > Ditto here. I can't seem to get my mind around setting up multiple networks off of one box. After
    > a couple hours of work, it's easier to just go buy a hardware router and just plug it into my
    > network.
    >
    > nk

    assuming you use shorewall, just grab the sample files linked to at
    http://www.shorewall.net/three-interface.htm they are more or less plug 'n play, with a few system
    specific alterations. follow the directions there and start (or restart) shorewall. For starting off
    and testing, i added a line to the policy file "all all ACCEPT". this way i could test the routing.
    after that i then proceeded to correct the policy file to narrow down access to where i wanted it,
    and how i wanted it.

    hardware routers are easy, but IMO, setting up a software router that works is more rewarding.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    notaknob wrote:

    >>Now i just have to get it so it will accept the network plan i have for
    >>it. i have 3 network cards. internet connection via eth0(192.168.0.0), future server farm via
    >> eth1(192.168.1.0) and my lan via eth2
    >>(192.168.2.). seems simple enough, but it just don't work
    >>--
    >>

    > Ditto here. I can't seem to get my mind around setting up multiple networks off of one box. After
    > a couple hours of work, it's easier to just go buy a hardware router and just plug it into my
    > network.

    Where's the fun in that?