WTime vs. ChampChip - THEE Poll

Who would you prefer to time your races?

• Winning Time

Votes: 84 86.6%
  • Champion Chip

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I don't mind

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
So what is the true feeling out there?<br /><br />Tell your training partners, racing companions etc - the more people the more meaningful the result.<br /><br />Please don't get all and sundry to vote - interested parties with a vested interest only!

Don't feel comfortable voting, my timing has been done by both systems, Winningtime and Championchip and I have been happy with both. Championchip does have a cooler website and options to compare times but I have yet to have a problem with either systems actual timing abilities (If anything I would take championchip because I own one and can attach it to my bike, but I've only used it in one race, so I certainly can't tell)<br /><br />So saying, in this whole thing the Argus organisers unfortunately don't need to put themselves out trying to pander to any number of cyclists as they will still be &quot;sold out&quot; in no time at all. So for them whatever is easiest and cheapest is best and obviously at the moment that isn't championchip. Has anyone yet found out the cost per person when the two systems are compared? Perhaps some race organisers out there or even reps from both companies.

Even better, can someone add a "Don't mind" to the vot options. I like to see competition!!!

[quote author=Eldron link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=0#23437 date=1039441475]<br />So what is the true feeling out there?<br /><br />Tell your training partners, racing companions etc - the more people the more meaningful the result.<br /><br />Please don't get all and sundry to vote - interested parties with a vested interest only!<br />[/quote]

At present, and especially for the 94.7km Jo race, the results from ChampionChip are more helpful. For each race CC gets the results onto their web site much faster than any results are released by Winning Time. I realize that WT says it is not their fault, but since it is hurting their credibility they ought to push for changes and quickly.<br /><br />The information I would like is my gross/net time (gun and mat time), how well I did in my age group, gender, overall and I would like them to compute my index number (my performance relative to the winner as that is used for future seeding purposes). I would also like all my results to be stored in one place so I can check up easily and quickly without having to try to contact each and every race for the results I want. Oh yes, I would like the results ready at the latest the next day!

[quote author=npcohen link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=0#23527 date=1039606230]The information I would like is my gross/net time (gun and mat time), how well I did in my age group, gender, overall and I would like them to compute my index number (my performance relative to the winner as that is used for future seeding purposes). I would also like all my results to be stored in one place so I can check up easily and quickly without having to try to contact each and every race for the results I want. Oh yes, I would like the results ready at the latest the next day!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Exactly the type of service CC offers! Here's an example:<br /><br />Start Information:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Start Time (Official): 10:33:45 <br />Start Time (Reel): 10:33:56 <br />Distance: 125 Km <br />Category: Elite <br />Batch: Elite / U23 <br /><br />Finish Information:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Finish Time (Gross): 2:59:01 <br />Finish Time (Net): 2:58:51 <br />Avg. Speed (min/km): 1:26 <br />Avg. Speed (km/h): 41.94 <br /><br />Race Positions: <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Category (Gross): 1 out of 61 <br />Gender (Gross): 1 out of 478 <br />Over All (Gross): 1 out of 531 <br />Category (Net): 1 out of 61 <br />Gender (Net): 1 out of 478 <br />Over All (Net): 1 out of 531 <br /><br />

Chamchip data and times are more interesting. What I would like is some sort of statistical overview of a race data set.' Frinstance it would be interesting to be able to log ones time as a function of the distribution of all the participants, with additional refinements of gender and age groups. This will let you really see if your performance is improving or not.

How on earth can PickaPay keep making use of such a pathetic timing company like Winning Time Chip. <br />There are not even a comparrison between Champion Chip and Winning Time Chip. Two weeks after the 94.7 <br />the only results available was the time in which I completed the race, which I do not need because I and almost <br />all the cyclist have that om their cateyes. What I want is al the comparative information such as gender<br />perfomances, catogories, batches etc. I wonder if Winning Time Chip realize how much they loose due to poor <br />result back feed. Please Winning Time Chip, catch a few tips at Champion Chip and make it worthwile to participate<br />in your event because currently you wasting our money. <br />

[quote author=piet link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=0#23543 date=1039612191]<br />How on earth can PickaPay keep making use of such a pathetic timing company like Winning Time Chip. <br />There are not even a comparrison between Champion Chip and Winning Time Chip. Two weeks after the 94.7 <br />the only results available was the time in which I completed the race, which I do not need because I and almost <br />all the cyclist have that om their cateyes. What I want is al the comparative information such as gender<br />perfomances, catogories, batches etc. I wonder if Winning Time Chip realize how much they loose due to poor <br />result back feed. Please Winning Time Chip, catch a few tips at Champion Chip and make it worthwile to participate<br />in your event because currently you wasting our money. <br /><br />[/quote]

I am in agreement with the above, and yes winning time needs to upgrade their current system. I did have this discussion with the guys from winning time at the 94.7 expo and they said that they will have a whole new look for 2003, so we will have to check it out in the New Year. I also understand that winning time and WP Pedal Power are linked in some way, if that is the case then it would explain why they are timing the Pick n Pay events.

[quote author=Eldron link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=0#23437 date=1039441475]<br />So what is the true feeling out there?<br /><br />Tell your training partners, racing companions etc - the more people the more meaningful the result.<br /><br />Please don't get all and sundry to vote - interested parties with a vested interest only!<br />[/quote] :)

ChampionChip are tops!<br />But that is precisely the problem: we need competition.<br />Come on Winning Time, go for it!!

As 'n lid van die SPEKE bestuur maak ons in al ons wedrenne slegs van Champion Chip gebruik. Hulle diens en betroubaarheid oor die algemeen is van hoogstaande gehalte. Die uitslae en al die relefante inligting is onmiddelik beskikbaar en in sekere gevalle binne 2 ure na 'n wedren op die Internet beskikbaar.<br /><br />As 'n fietsryer ry ek ook ander wedrenne wat soms deur 'n ander &quot;Chip&quot; aangebied word. Om die minste te sê is die diens van dié ander tydhouers pateties. Om een voorbeeld te noem, dit vat soms 5 tot 7 dae vir die uitslae om op die Internet te verskyn. Die inligting wat dan verskaf word is so onvolledig dat jy glad nie kan bepaal hoeveelste jy in jou bondel of in jou ouderdomsgroep was nie. <br /><br />Die SPEKE Fietsry Klub sal van geen ander tyd meganisme gebruik maak behalwe Champion Chip nie. <br /><br /><br />Reinhard Raschke (PRO SPEKE Fietsry Klub - Pretoria)<br />

[quote author=MAGIC link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=0#23567 date=1039678733]<br />As 'n lid van die SPEKE bestuur maak ons in al ons wedrenne slegs van Champion Chip gebruik. Hulle diens en betroubaarheid oor die algemeen is van hoogstaande gehalte. Die uitslae en al die relefante inligting is onmiddelik beskikbaar en in sekere gevalle binne 2 ure na 'n wedren op die Internet beskikbaar.<br /><br />As 'n fietsryer ry ek ook ander wedrenne wat soms deur 'n ander &quot;Chip&quot; aangebied word. Om die minste te sê is die diens van dié ander tydhouers pateties. Om een voorbeeld te noem, dit vat soms 5 tot 7 dae vir die uitslae om op die Internet te verskyn. Die inligting wat dan verskaf word is so onvolledig dat jy glad nie kan bepaal hoeveelste jy in jou bondel of in jou ouderdomsgroep was nie. <br /><br />Die SPEKE Fietsry Klub sal van geen ander tyd meganisme gebruik maak behalwe Champion Chip nie. <br /><br /><br />Reinhard Raschke (PRO SPEKE Fietsry Klub - Pretoria)<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Translation of the above:<br /><br />&quot;As a member of the SPEKE management team, we only make use of ChampionChip in all our races. Their service and reliability is of the highest standard. Race results and all relevant information are available immediately and usually on the Internet within two hours after the race.<br /><br />As a cyclist I sometimes participate in races timed by another &quot;chip&quot;. To say the least, their service is pathetic. For example, it sometimes takes between 5 and 7 days for results to appear on the Internet, and then with incomplete information.<br /><br />The SPEKE Cycling Club will not make use of any other timing mechanism except for ChampionChip.<br /><br />Reinhard Raschke (PRO SPEKE Cycling Club - Pretoria)&quot;

[quote author=Vo2 link=board=15;threadid=2752;start=15#23569 date=1039680524]<br />
QUOTE DELETED
<br />Translation of the above:<br /><br />&quot;As a member of the SPEKE management team, we only make use of ChampionChip in all our races. Their service and reliability is of the highest standard. Race results and all relevant information are available immediately and usually on the Internet within two hours after the race.<br /><br />As a cyclist I sometimes participate in races timed by another &quot;chip&quot;. To say the least, their service is pathetic. For example, it sometimes takes between 5 and 7 days for results to appear on the Internet, and then with incomplete information.<br /><br />The SPEKE Cycling Club will not make use of any other timing mechanism except for ChampionChip.<br /><br />Reinhard Raschke (PRO SPEKE Cycling Club - Pretoria)&quot;<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The poll tends to agree with that

Exactly one month after the 94.7 and I ??? still know nothing other than my official time - no placing overall or within category. If Champion Chip can do this within hours of the race, why can't Winning Time?

Mabe we should pester ;D the guys from Highveld for proper results. After all, they should have all the info available. (surely they want to offer a world class service?)