WTK:Chapel hill/RTP N.C. rides?

Joe Yannie

Guest
I will be in the RTP area for a couple of days next week,
including the weekend and was wondering if there are any
weekend or weekday group rides. Also, what is the terrain
like? Currently in D.C. for comparison.

[email protected]

remove .org to reply

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:01:53 -0400, Joe Yannie wrote:
> I will be in the RTP area for a couple of days next week,
> including the weekend and was wondering if there are any
> weekend or weekday group rides. Also, what is the terrain
> like? Currently in D.C. for comparison.

> [email protected]

http://www.tarwheels.org/

Terrain has some hills, but nothing too big, at least in my
experience as a novice rider.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Joe Yannie wrote:

> I will be in the RTP area for a couple of days next week,
> including the weekend and was wondering if there are any
> weekend or weekday group rides. Also, what is the terrain
> like? Currently in D.C. for comparison.
>
> [email protected]
>
> remove .org to reply

I live in Chapel Hill. Every Sat morning at about 10 am a
group leaves Performance Bike Shop in Carrboro for a roughly
46 mile training "race." We can have as many as 60. It's a
good route in that there are places to turn off early and
head in as well as opportunities to short cut and
reintegrate with the bunch if you get dropped for whatever
reason (flat, pooped, etc).

Wayne

--
Wayne Pein
Bicycling Matters

www.humantransport.org
www.bicyclinglife.com

Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Joe Yannie wrote:
>
> > I will be in the RTP area for a couple of days next
> > week, including the weekend and was wondering if there
> > are any weekend or weekday group rides. Also, what is
> > the terrain like? Currently in D.C. for comparison.
> >
> > [email protected]
> >
> > remove .org to reply
>
> I live in Chapel Hill. Every Sat morning at about 10 am a
> group leaves Performance Bike Shop in Carrboro for a
> roughly 46 mile training "race." We can have as many as
> 60. It's a good route in that there are places to turn off
> early and head in as well as opportunities to short cut
> and reintegrate with the bunch if you get dropped for
> whatever reason (flat, pooped, etc).
>
> Wayne

Also in Chapel Hill there is a Wednesday night training
ride/race that ends up being around 10 people normally, fast
rotating paceline kind of ride with a few sprints here and
there. Leaving time is 5:30 from Wilson Park in Chapel Hill.
Drop a line if you want directions. The terrain is more
"rolly" than anything else. Not too many totally flat spots,
but good riding in and around the Triangle in general. Check
out a few of the local shops as they will have some rides as
well (Cycling Spoken Here, The Spin Cycle).

Tom

Tom

Well, looks like I will miss most of the group rides, I
won't get in CH until 11am on sat and will be leaving tues
evening :)...figures...sooo, if you were riding, which way
would you ride...N,S,E or W? And if you lived there where
would you buy a house if easy access to cycling is a
concern? Thanks everyone.

Joe

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:05:57 -0400, Joe Yannie wrote:
> Well, looks like I will miss most of the group rides, I
> won't get in CH until 11am on sat and will be leaving tues
> evening :)...figures...sooo, if you were riding, which
> way would you ride...N,S,E or W? And if you lived there
> where would you buy a house if easy access to cycling is a
> concern? Thanks everyone.

East sends you into Durham or surburbia. N, S, or W are
relatively rural.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

"Joe Yannie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Well, looks like I will miss most of the group rides, I
| won't get in CH until 11am on sat and will be leaving tues
| evening :)...figures...sooo,
if
| you were riding, which way would you ride...N,S,E or W?
| And if you lived there where would you buy a house if easy
| access to cycling is a concern? Thanks everyone.
|
| Joe

There is also a ride on Sunday you could do. Some of the
guys who show up for the Performance ride will be there
too. The ride starts around 9:30AM at Franklin Street
Cycles, 210 West Franklin Street. 919.929.0213. The ride
ranges around 60-70 miles. Call for other rides that may be
happening. John