Wuffo Campy reverse thread crank puller?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Plaugher, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. What Campy cranks require a reverse threaded crank puller? I have the tool, but not idea where it is
    needed. Brian Plaugher

    Tags:

  2. Brian Plaugher wrote:

    > What Campy cranks require a reverse threaded crank puller? I have the tool, but not idea where it
    > is needed.

    C-Record and maybe a couple of other cranks from 10-15 years ago used left threads for the
    self-extractor. This was a bit of overengineering...self extractors using normal right hand threads
    had been introduced by Sugino several years previously, and the thread direction had never been a
    problem in practice...so the use of the left thread was a "solution in search of a problem."

    Self extractors often don't do the trick when the cranks are on really tight, so sometimes they need
    to be removed and a shop-type extractor used instead. Campagnolo's use of oddball threading
    necessitated the manufacture of the extractor you own.

    You could probably get a fair bit of money for it on eBay.

    Sheldon "Left Threading Is Good For Fixed Cups, Silly For Extractor Threads" Brown
    | My brother will be having a one-man show at | The Yellow Barn Gallery, Glen Echo Maryland |
    | Saturday November 1, noon-7:00; | Sunday November 12 Noon-5:00 | Reception Nov. 1 4:00-6:00—see
    | you there! | http://junila.com |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What Campy cranks require a reverse threaded crank puller? I have the tool, but not idea where it
    > is needed. Brian Plaugher

    C-Record, Chorus, and Victory (?) crankarms had one-key releases starting in late '80's. The
    one-key release caps used left-hand threads to keep the caps from backing out when the arm was
    being removed.

    Jeff

  5. B plaugher-<< What Campy cranks require a reverse threaded crank puller? I have the tool, but not
    idea where it is needed. >><BR><BR>

    1984 and until 1994 Record, CDA, Chorus and Victory/Triompe...if it has a 7mm self extractor, it
    needs a reverse thread crank puller-