Wussy car drivers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, May 14, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Listening to the R5 Live drivetime programme at work yesterday afternoon with the prospect of a 12
    mile ride home into a 20mph head wind with sleet at 2200, I had to laugh at the traffic reports.

    "Thanks to Carol who is driving in Newbury who reports that the weather is "absolutely horrendous"
    due to the rain"

    For god's sake woman, you are in your warm dry car, in the middle of May in Berkshire, get a
    flaming grip!

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > Listening to the R5 Live drivetime programme at work yesterday afternoon with the prospect of a 12
    > mile ride home into a 20mph head wind with sleet at 2200, I had to laugh at the traffic reports.
    >
    > "Thanks to Carol who is driving in Newbury who reports that the weather is "absolutely horrendous"
    > due to the rain"
    >
    > For god's sake woman, you are in your warm dry car, in the middle of May
    in
    > Berkshire, get a flaming grip!

    he he ... I didn't really want to head out yesterday because of the weather, yet remembered I cycled
    through far worse in the winter ... :)

    Thanks for the specs .. arrived this morning ... :)

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes
    >Listening to the R5 Live drivetime programme at work yesterday afternoon with the prospect of a 12
    >mile ride home into a 20mph head wind with sleet at 2200, I had to laugh at the traffic reports.
    >
    >"Thanks to Carol who is driving in Newbury who reports that the weather is "absolutely horrendous"
    >due to the rain"
    >
    > For god's sake woman, you are in your warm dry car, in the middle of May in Berkshire, get a
    > flaming grip!
    > --
    >Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    To be fair, we didn't just have rain down here in what you imply are the Berkshire tropics! We had
    major thunderstorms with very large hail stones. Knowing how bad the local councils round here seem
    to be at cleaning drains I'm glad I wasn't out - on bike or in car!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  5. Simon Mason wrote:
    > Listening to the R5 Live drivetime programme at work yesterday afternoon with the prospect of a 12
    > mile ride home into a 20mph head wind with sleet at 2200, I had to laugh at the traffic reports.
    >
    > "Thanks to Carol who is driving in Newbury who reports that the weather is "absolutely horrendous"
    > due to the rain"
    >
    > For god's sake woman, you are in your warm dry car, in the middle of May in Berkshire, get a
    > flaming grip!

    Amen to that.

    I find it very frustrating (as a car driver) when everyone slows to a crawl just because a few drops
    of rain have appeared.

    I remember driving in Florida where the cars had to stop because the rain was so heavy the wipers
    physically couldn't shift it and it was impossible to see out the windscreen.

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown
    college!" -- Homer Simpson

  6. In message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In news:[email protected], StainlessSteelRat
    ><[email protected]> typed:
    >> Simon Mason wrote:
    >>> Listening to the R5 Live drivetime programme at work yesterday afternoon with the prospect of a
    >>> 12 mile ride home into a 20mph head wind with sleet at 2200, I had to laugh at the traffic
    >>> reports.
    >>>
    >>> "Thanks to Carol who is driving in Newbury who reports that the weather is "absolutely
    >>> horrendous" due to the rain"
    >>>
    >>> For god's sake woman, you are in your warm dry car, in the middle of May in Berkshire, get a
    >>> flaming grip!
    >>
    >> Amen to that.
    >>
    >> I find it very frustrating (as a car driver) when everyone slows to a crawl just because a few
    >> drops of rain have appeared.
    >>
    >> I remember driving in Florida where the cars had to stop because the rain was so heavy the wipers
    >> physically couldn't shift it and it was impossible to see out the windscreen.
    >
    >I actually had that happen to me in Berkshire one of the very few times I've driven through it.

    Perhaps Berkshire is (sub)tropical after all. I'll have to see if I can get some banana trees for
    the garden. ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  7. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Bracknell used to be known as the Berkshire Riviera

    news:p[email protected]...

  8. Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >> In my spare time all I could find to do was visit the cinema, as a North Easterner I fealt like a
    >> fish out of water in the pubs and the beer is s***.
    >
    > If the beer is s*** at least it has some body. Better than p***.

    LOL, the beer is just the same here as it is up north (I love it when Northerner's make nonsense
    comments like this). It's just a case of finding a pub associated with decent breweries.

    Whoever thinks Bracknell's a Riviera, they need to get out more!

    --
    StainlessSteelRat Gaff: You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through? Rick
    Deckard: Finished.

  9. StainlessSteelRat <[email protected]> wrote:
    >LOL, the beer is just the same here as it is up north

    I live in Bracknell. The beer's crap.

  10. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 16 May 2003 16:42:17 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I live in Bracknell. The beer's crap.

    When I lived in the North East, I couldn't afford beer. 8-(

  11. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Lets face it Bracknell is a null place.

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > >> In my spare time all I could find to do was visit the cinema, as a North Easterner I fealt like
    > >> a fish out of water in the pubs and the beer is s***.
    > >
    > > If the beer is s*** at least it has some body. Better than p***.
    >
    > LOL, the beer is just the same here as it is up north (I love it when Northerner's make nonsense
    > comments like this). It's just a case of
    finding
    > a pub associated with decent breweries.
    >
    > Whoever thinks Bracknell's a Riviera, they need to get out more!
    >
    > --
    > StainlessSteelRat Gaff: You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through? Rick Deckard:
    > Finished.

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], M Series <[email protected]> typed:
    > Lets face it Bracknell is a null place.

    Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now, There isn't grass to graze a
    cow. Swarm over, Death!

    Come, bombs and blow to smithereens Those air -conditioned, bright canteens, Tinned fruit, tinned
    meat, tinned milk, tinned beans, Tinned minds, tinned breath.

    Mess up the mess they call a town- A house for ninety-seven down And once a week a half a crown For
    twenty years.

    And get that man with double chin Who'll always cheat and always win, Who washes his repulsive skin
    In women's tears:

    And smash his desk of polished oak And smash his hands so used to stroke And stop his boring dirty
    joke And make him yell.

    But spare the bald young clerks who add The profits of the stinking cad; It's not their fault that
    they are mad, They've tasted Hell.

    It's not their fault they do not know The birdsong from the radio, It's not their fault they often
    go To Maidenhead

    And talk of sport and makes of cars In various bogus-Tudor bars And daren't look up and see the
    stars But belch instead.

    In labour-saving homes, with care Their wives frizz out peroxide hair And dry it in synthetic air
    And paint their nails.

    Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough To get it ready for the plough. The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.

    John Betjamin, 1937

    Nothing changed there then.;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  13. Usenet

    Usenet Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, StainlessSteelRat
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I find it very frustrating (as a car driver) when everyone slows to a crawl just because a few
    >drops of rain have appeared.

    Personally, I find it reassuring that most people aren't relying on their ABS systems to stop.

    >I remember driving in Florida where the cars had to stop because the rain was so heavy the wipers
    >physically couldn't shift it and it was impossible to see out the windscreen.

    Had to stop? What, they didn't just plough on regardless, like some dick-heads do in this country
    (Hmm, visibility's a bit poor? Better drive faster and get to a clear bit)?

    --
    Martin @ Strawberry Hill

  14. On Fri, 16 May 2003 21:21:25 +0100, contributor Tony Raven had scribed:
    > John Betjamin, 1937
    >
    > Nothing changed there then.;-)

    Remember JB liked Buckinghamshire and Slough was then part of that county until 1974, when county
    boundaries move north to remove said town into Berkshire much to the pleasure of Bucks residents.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.