www.bikeforums.net: Any other exiled members?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Thinkly, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    Anyone else here a former member of www.bikeforums.net

    If you are a former member, I certainly understand why. That place sucks. North Koreans have more freedom than members of that site have. :cool:

    Tags:

  2. coneofsilence

    coneofsilence Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,141
    did you sign up in 2003???
    "The Thread about nothing" was started with exiled members from bikeforums.

  3. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    I haven't been active on here. Where is that thread?

  4. coneofsilence

    coneofsilence Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,141
    In the Australia and New Zealand Section.

  5. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    I spent about 5 years over at www.bikeforums.net. It is going downhill fast since Joe sold and the new guy took over as administrator. He has major issues and apparently is trying to see how fast he can run that site into the ground.

    Just curious how many others he has run off.

  6. TheDarkLord

    TheDarkLord New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    Messages:
    3,887
    Ironically, when the owner of this forum was on vacation leading to a flood of spam, many people here were talking of going over to bikeforums.net.

  7. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    Well, I was there for a long time so it is (was) a cool place. But things have gotten pretty stupid. I finally blew up my account after watching all of the BS that went on with the admin.

    I guess i just need to find a new cycling site to hang out on.

  8. dgregory57

    dgregory57 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    So, what were you banned for?

  9. scirocco

    scirocco New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2007
    I went back there last week after not having been there for a year or so. Sure has gone downhill. Used to be full of interesting top end bikes and some clever posters.

    At least botto is still there going "incorrect" so some things never change.

  10. cyberlegend1994

    cyberlegend1994 Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    1,863
    I'm not an "exiled" member of there, but one of the mods has hinted to me that I should get rid of my sig, because he says it causes "False positive Norton Security alerts". I'm calling BS on that one - I've been using it for years and nobody's ever complained to me about it, although a few people have asked me where I got it.

    The Bike Forums site has been having a lot of technical problems lately - database errors, blank pages, etc. I just tried to visit there, and kept getting blank pages.

    * EDIT * for additional info:
    I've heard that some users have been banned for pulling the "Rickroll" stunt in links and posts.

  11. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    I basically just banned myself. I got tired of the new Admin bullying people.

  12. bigpedaler

    bigpedaler New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2007
    i used to hang there, too; got myself banned for going off on another member, a thickhead. have gone back as a visitor a few times, just to 'reminisce', and found more than a few other long-time members banned, as well. wondered 'wtf?', but couldn't get back in to find out....

    boy, that Forester thread...wow! the methane was thick in that one!

    so...who's gonna own up to old 'screen names'? mine's the same here as there....

  13. kdelong

    kdelong Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    Messages:
    3,477
    I checked it out when this forum was so full of spam that you couldn't find any bicycle related posts on the first page of a thread. Now that they have done such a wonderful job cleaning this site up, I have no interest in checking out bikeforums. Therefore, I suppose that I too am a self exiled member.

  14. dgregory57

    dgregory57 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    The thing with Bikeforums is that it seems completely different depending on which specific forum you are reading.

    I once responded in a joking way as is done in Road Cycling... by quoting a message, changing a word, bolding it, and responding "Corrected" I think it was in C&V, and it actually offended the original poster who told me I shouldn't quote someone and change their words... So, to be successful there you have to be cognizant of which forum you are in... they can each be significantly different.

    I find it is a much better forum for cycling related discussion.

  15. Thinkly

    Thinkly New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    The biggest problem is that they got a screwy mix of moderators at the present time. They are all so busy kissing the admin's ass, that they can't even think for themselves in the least.

    THe thing that blew up was when one of the mods was offended because somebody posted a pic of a fat person and he too is fat.

  16. baj32161

    baj32161 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Well if you expect to come here and find a BS free site, then I am afraid you have another thing coming. This site is as full of BS as any other forum, as well as many foul mouthed louts, who are not discouraged from using such language. I have found that many of the people banned from BF deserved the bannings they received. It isn't only what you see in the open forums but in PMs as well. I am a member of both forums, and while I spend most of my time in BF I have to say that in comparing the 2, this one has its shortcomings. I find BF alot more interesting and entertaining, as well as informative, simply based on the variety of information to be had. This site has more good useful training information.

    As far as the admins go, this site was a veritable spam factory for alomst 2 years. I remembered emailing Steve here in March of 2006 complaining about the spam and being told then that the problem would be corrected by May of that year. It finally took a mass exodus of members and (I am speculating here based on the threads started about it) a boatload of complaints and PMs for that to finally be taken care of...at least for now. This admin for far too long either ignored the wishes of his members or simply lost touch with them, which is far worse than what goes on in BF. Now that the spam is gone from here I still don't see that alot of the disillusioned members have returned yet. Perhaps they will. I hope so as I enjoy both sites when things are the way they are supposed to be. To come in here and try to start a pissing contest between the 2 forums is both juvenile and in terribly bad form. There are a few members in here who belong to both forums and enjoy them both. If you do not like one or the other, that is your prerogative. You will not, however, see me going into BF and saying "Man, cyclingforums.com sucks and I got tired of the BS so I left, has anyone else done that?"

    If the mods and admin of the other forum seem to be enforcing the forum rules like the gestapo that is because the enforcement pretty much went out the window right before Joe left. It actually began its downfall right after the Aussies and one of the mods (whom I shall not name) had it out in BF. That mod abruptly gave up their position, for which I was glad and after that all begna a downward spiral. If the current mods and admin ss fit to finally begin enforcing the existing rules I think that is a good thing. The only ones complaining are the rabble rousers anyway.

    Nonethelss if you are here long enough you will see that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, as I said before, to each his own.

    Please forgive the length of my post, I ramble when I am at work on a Saturday

    Cheers,

    Brian

  17. joejeweler

    joejeweler New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2012
    Old thread i know, surprised this thread isn't HUGE by now.

    Well,....if by the new guy who took over as administrator (and having issues!) you mean Tom Stormcrowe, i'd say you have a point. I was banned from Bikeforums.net with the stated reason of "Continued Harrassment" , with "Never" listed as when the ban would be lifted!

    In spite of several emails to the administrator (below), it seems i have nothing to lose anyway at this point.

    The continued harrassment was in fact TWO pm's to a member who was frequently commenting on some of my posts with no point other than to stir the pot and bust my balls.

    The 2nd pm to that member was simply something like: "Why am i not surprised you went running to the administrators. I bet you were also the school snitch."

    BAM! That constititued a LIFETIME BANING OFFENSE! Prior to this i had ONE point infraction for my 1st email to this other member "CB HI" (below also)

    So,.....i decided to post what happened in my case MAINLY because the more i thought about it, the more i was offended that Tom Stormcrowe seems to have taken it upon himself to use/abuse his massive powers of his stated major fields of study, "Social Psychology, Sociology, and Philosophy of Mind"!

    Since he continued with an (anal) analytical breakdown of my proported influence on the group dynamics on bikeforums.net, i decided to post his complete "diagnosis".

    Somehow we're all part of his personal social profiling experiment, ......wow....and here i thought it was just a bike forum.

    I bet you all weren't aware you were being examined/diagnosed without your knowledge on bikeforums.net What a crock of sh*t!

    "Dr." Tom Stormcrowe,....i hope i've lived up to your expectations!

    Re: Stated policy not followed in my case.....
    FROM Tom Stormcrowe TO You
    Show Details
    From To

    Joseph,

    When a member reports a post, they are following procedures rather than escalation of a situation, What happens when a member escalates rather reports is that they also get dinged. When fight occurs on the forums, other people jump on the bandwagon, and start taking sides, and then the trolls hit, and next thing you know, you have a full scale meltdown occurring on a forum. This is experience talking and not conjecture. We've currently got the most stable site in Internet Brands' group of forums, and my operational model is encouraged to be used by other forums.

    We do try to maintain a balance.....just enough conflict to keep things from getting boring, but not so much it creates a fight leading to meltdown. We have certain profiles of users that wind up being banned quickly because of a pattern of behavior that has a low probability of change or have a high probability of creating that meltdown I mentioned. Did I mention that my field of study is behavioral sciences,, Social Psychology, Sociology, and Philosophy of Mind, and my specialty field within the field is prediction of group dynamics where an Actor, call the individual "t" (in this case, t=you), creates a destabilizing influence call it Δ, and has a K value of 10. t is given a value of the range set r[-10, 10], described as f(t), or function of t; X is the variable assigned to the result of f(t)/Δ and is expressed as a probability value of a specific outcome, or p(X). An example:
    t is assigned an irritant value of positive 3, then f(t)/Δ=p(X) becomes 3/10=p(X) p(X)=p(.3), or a probability of 30% of predicted outcome. Applying a negative value to t is used to analyze for a good outcome trend-wise as to conflict management. It gets a lot more complicated, really and multiple factors are valued in a range of -10 to 10, and averaged to get the value of t. The probability of negative outcome applies on an log scale because the undesired behavior probable outcome follows a log or exponential scale in occurrence. p(1)or 100%, is the upper limit and the percentage of change is analyzed using a Logarithmic scale calculated using the Euler Method. This provides us with a statistically valid metric of high confidence value prediction of a forum meltdown occurring in the future based on the actions of t on the group.

    [​IMG]
    Using the log scale gives a statistically valid trend, whereas an Arithmetical scale simply expresses a probability that is then used in Logarithmic analysis to get the trend predictor value of p(X).

    On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Joseph Tousignant <[email protected]> wrote:
    Tom,....i only had YOUR email address since with the banning i can't get into my pm's and your's was the last response where i had a return address to respond to.

    I figured it must be you,...sorry, .....just assumed it was.
    I guess i called the wrong guy a forum nazi,....but for sure the action taken against me WAS a dictitorial one and in no way followed the lines of stated proceedure. Be pissed at me all you want,....but that's a fact.

    ....look at it from my point of view. Being banned for LIFE when all i said to CB Hi was he must have been the school snitch, since he feels the need to continually run to you guys, Really? He couldn't man up and pm ME,...where for sure i wouldn't have run to you guys like a pussy.

    In my view,....pm'ing CB Hi in no way reached the height of anything near harrassment,....and truth be told i never read the terms you mentioned. Had i pm'ed him dozens of times, maybe that case could have been made.

    But he pissed me off with his continued stirring the pot in posts i had made, and rarely if ever made any significant contribution to the threads. To me,...THAT was harrassment!

    So i contact him and point out his running to the mods was a bit childish, and get banned for it.

    I've lost all respect for the site now,...i know, so what. That's fine,....there are other forums where i can contribute. I put a lot of thought into most of what i post, and really cared about trying to help some folks. I'd spend hours sometimes getting clear photo's up,....all efforts to contribute.

    The "foul" language you mention was in response to his comment wherein he said something like "I mentioned back in post #39 DNFTT. Joe is a very good troll"

    I responded, and at the end was again pissed and said something like: "Well, you like using initials so BLOME AH" The mods deleted it soon after.....

    That is the ONLY thing i wrote that might be looked at as a bit off,.....but i've seen LOTS worse posted.

    So banned for life over the stated reason of "continued harrassment of a member". If you think my TWO pm's to CB Hi rose to that level, than i guess there is not much to say.

    But i suspect there are MANY other members who would expect more from the bike forums than a surprise banning for life, when that person doesn't feel he did anything wrong in contacting a member over his "run to the principle" wimpyness.

    regards, Joe T