www.bikeforums.net: Any other exiled members?

Really? I have been a member of bikeforums.net for several years, and wasn't aware of any issues, at least none that are not common to any other public forum. There is always the arguing, and occasional personal attack, but I never concerned myself much with it. Other than profanity, and offensive conduct, how do you get banned from the site? Just curious.

schwinnhund said:
Really? I have been a member of bikeforums.net for several years, and wasn't aware of any issues, at least none that are not common to any other public forum. There is always the arguing, and occasional personal attack, but I never concerned myself much with it. Other than profanity, and offensive conduct, how do you get banned from the site? Just curious.
Well,....you might want to reconsider your lack of concern! :confused: I also was a member for several years, had contributed several labor intensive threads (usually with several clear photos), and got booted because i contacted another instigating member to my threads TWICE via "private message" ! (member "CB HI") In deferance to previously stated policy by a BF moderator that outlined many more steps being required before someone is permantly banned, i was cited for "harrassment" of another member (for 2 short PM's) and given a permanant ban. This only became necessary because this lowlife entered some of my threads with no other reason than to stir the pot, and offered NO real contributions to the thread. Seems his cowardly running to the mods was just part of the plan, rather than discuss the matter privately via PM's. As i relayed, my 2nd contact was just to relay that he must have been the "school snitch", since in my previous PM to him he not only failed to respond to me directly, but had to run to the moderators of the site! PM's aren't so private when an instigator feels the need to cry to the boss,.....probably off his knees. And for that 2nd short couple of sentence PM i get banned,....FOR LIFE! What a crock of sh*t. Since the Bikeforums.net site was sold to a corporation by the founder,......it has become a joke with the head honcho (site administrator) acting in a dictitorial and condescending manner. His elitest self-aggrandizing "fields of study" slapped in my face an insane attempt to make me an unwitting participant in the site's social profiling.rum! But hey,........don't ever post anything or defend yourself and you'll be fine. That makes for an interesting forum! :dead:

Soooo, ignoring the 'lowlife' was out of the question? That's what I usually do, after informing them that I refuse to dignify their post with a response.

I dunno. I don't mind a healthy debate, but I refuse to get into an argument with anyone online, and once it gets personal, then that's the end for me.

It sounds to me like maybe they may had cause for their actions (of course, I wasn't there, so I probably don't know the whole story...).

Accusing someone of being the 'school snitch', and continuing an argument via PMs sounds like legitimate grounds for banning someone, to me. I certainly hope you don't plan on continuing that type of behavior here.....

schwinnhund said:
Soooo, ignoring the 'lowlife' was out of the question? That's what I usually do, after informing them that I refuse to dignify their post with a response. I dunno. I don't mind a healthy debate, but I refuse to get into an argument with anyone online, and once it gets personal, then that's the end for me.  It sounds to me like maybe they may had cause for their actions (of course, I wasn't there, so I probably don't know the whole story...). Accusing someone of being the 'school snitch', and continuing an argument via PMs sounds like legitimate grounds for banning someone, to me. I certainly hope you don't plan on continuing that type of behavior here.....
Maybe you should apply for a moderator job over there,....your mindsets seems to match! :confused: I also ignored "the lowlife" a few times. But at some point a man has to address it. (not run crying to the mods like a school yard snitch! ) Here's "CB HI" PM to the Bikeforum.net mods = :crying: There was no 'on line argument", and a few sentence response via PM , which seemed reasonable and appropriate in my case. Addressing this interfering member via PM'ing is NOT continuing "an online argument", nor is it grounds for ANY banning let alone a permanant one. (as per the moderators statement of proceedures mentioned below) Seriously, did you even read the post wherein i quoted one of Bikeforums.net MODERATORS stating how a decision to ban is "supposed" to be followed? Here it is again: Originally Posted by RaleighSporthttp://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/showthread.php?p=13637075#post13637075 LoL they actually tell you when they "warn" you? Response by Bikeforums.net moderator Siu Blue Wing:
Oh yes of course we do. You will get a PM from the issuing moderator with option to protest it with an administrator.Usually one gets a nice PM first. If the same actions continue, you get an official PM warning which you will see on your profile. After that if it continues, you get an infraction. Three infractions will give you a one week ban. Infractions do expire and the dates are shown on your profile as well. For someone to be permanently banned, they REALLY have to do a lot of damage to the community. I mean pages and pages of infractions. Keep in mind that before any action is taken, it is discussed amongst other moderators to come to an appropriate resolution. Sometimes we WILL reverse an infraction if you give reason why it should not have been administered and it is reasonable. In watching the actions of others, some may question why a person is temporarily banned (because they have not seen the offending posts) but the chances of leaving the reason (posts that are in violation of the forum guidelines) still posted publicly is nil. Mean, nasty, threatening and derogatory PMs also will earn one an infraction if it violates the forum guidelines.
NONE of that stated proceedure was followed in my case (and others i have seen mentioned elsewhere), which i suppose is there to present an "air of fairness". But when stated proceedure is not followed, it is arbitrary and dictatorial in actuation. All anyone can hope for and expect is to be treated fairly. Sadly not the case with Bikeforums.net , where they "say" one thing and do another. In any case,......i'm not surprised some may feel as you do,.......as unreasonable responses often follow unreasonable actions. At the time of my lifetime banning i had accumulated just ONE infraction! THREE infractions are stated to be required for a 1 week ban,....etc. All hiel Tom S. :devil: YMMV

Well...I guess that response speaks for itself. You really can't post without making personal attacks, I guess. Anyhow, I'm done with this discussion.......

Ciao.....

schwinnhund said:
Well...I guess that response speaks for itself. You really can't post without making personal attacks, I guess. Anyhow, I'm done with this discussion....... Ciao.....
No personal attack intended, or anywhere in my response that i can see,....really. But when you stated "It sounds to me like maybe they may had cause for their actions (of course, I wasn't there, so I probably don't know the whole story...)." then you clearly didn't have a clear understanding of what transpired, i felt and the need to present a bit more detail. In any case,.....sorry you took it that way.