www.bikesarea.com - Does anyone know anything about it?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Alias, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Alias

Alias New Member

Hi,

Has anybody checked out this website? The prices look too good to be true. I'm starting to seriously look for a new road bike, i know what i want and what it's going to cost me at the local bike shop and if this site is legitimate, then it would do your average bike shop out of business. Not that i haven't given them more than a fair share of my hard earned dollars.

If someone can prove/disprove the authenticity of this website please let me know.

Help, please.

Tags:

2. biketrue

biketrue New Member

These prices do look very tempting. Keep in consideration the 1 dollar to 0.795 Euros conversion rate. When these bikes are shipped, they are disassembled, so you'll have to pay to have it put together. You won't get a 30 check-up/ tune-up, and if something goes wrong with it, you won't have a bike shop standing behind it.

Factor in the cost of assembly, initial maintenance, and reasonable warranty issues, and see what the price looks like then. If it's still too good to be true, call the number on the website and ask a few questions, and pray someone in Madrid speaks English.

Overall it sounds kinda sketchy. If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is just that.

3. effe

effe New Member

I sent an e-mail for some information and reply me in English Mr.Harald Guillano.
    What I think it's strange is that when I search with Google pages containing www.bikesarea.com it give me only four results.

4. Alias

Alias New Member

It's quite strange, i got a few emails from the same guy, Harald Guillano, as well. One thing i didn't like about the site was the method of payment. You transfer money into a nominated bank account, but they don't give it to you during checkout. You have email them for it, i'm guessing. If it was a legitimate site i can't see why they wouldn't have it set up to take PayPal or credit cards.

If you're after some interesting reading about the previous site, yes they closed down the last one.

www.mbuk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=148346

I hope this helps!

5. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

If you want an internet site, try www.bikesdirect.com.

6. jrj90620

jrj90620 New Member

The Trek 5200 triple for $953 plus $140 UPS Air shipping.That's about half of the best deal I've seen anywhere.Search of dealers at Trek website shows that this isn't an authorized dealer so no lifetime frame warranty.Good luck repairing this frame if it ever fails.ProBike requires European bank transfer so no protection if you never get the bike.I would avoid.If is sounds too good to be true it probably is.

7. Alias

Alias New Member

It's not just the price of the Trek's that are absurd. They all are! Not that i'm considering buying anything from the site, it just makes me laugh that someone has the audacity to even set up something like this!

8. jrj90620

jrj90620 New Member

You also have to figure that someone would be buying these bikes to resell on Ebay if it were legitimate.

9. duhhuh

duhhuh New Member

I dunno, but I bought an 05 Trek 1500 triple at my LBS last year and paid $995 US. They threw in a Trek helmet, Wrench Force floor pump, water bottles and fitted it to me. I did the conversion and the Trek 1500 triple here was $1020.96! That doesn't include shipping. I didn't look at the other prices, but on the 1500 they aren't that great.

10. dcstyle

dcstyle New Member

PROBIKE IS FAKE.
    Do not buy from there.
    Myself and a load of people have been stung by them.
    Heres a link about it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=204649

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SEND MONEY TO PROBIKE!

Theres a few of these fake sites popping up at the moment, so be aware out there guys.

11. Kelderek

Kelderek New Member